View Full Version : Floating anxiety

excel
07-12-14, 08:08 PM
What is free floating anxiety?

Greyhound1
07-13-14, 06:14 PM
What is free floating anxiety?

It is when you get anxiety out of nowhere. When you have no idea what triggered it.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/types/free-floating

It'sPeter
07-14-14, 09:31 AM
Never knew it was called that. Another thing to add to the repertoire ;). But seriously, it really helps to have a name, so it's easier to look it up. Thanks so much!

stef
07-14-14, 11:11 AM
careful with this link, there is a great test and a presentation which turns into a pitch to buy a method...
also it's very anti- meds.

But otherwise, thank you! !!
this is what the test said:

"Your level of affectedness by anxiety and panic is not severe but strong enough to affect your life and your person on a regular basis. You tends to let things get to you. You are an over reactor and you're probably very emotional. You're sensitive and take things personally. You're a worrier and a "what-if" thinker. You might have a hard time being assertive, especially with certain people. You probably don't manage stress well."

excel
07-16-14, 08:41 AM
Free floating anxiety is usually the result of having brain damage

It'sPeter
07-17-14, 04:36 AM
Can it be that there also is 'false' free floating anxiety? That you get anxious without an obvious reason, but there it comes from the sub-conciousness as a forgotten association to something from your childhood?

Greyhound1
07-18-14, 02:57 PM

I am not sure if that is correct. Do you have any sources for your theory of cause?

This is what I have read.

Causes of Free Floating Anxiety
Scientists are not entirely clear what causes free floating anxiety or generalized anxiety disorder. They know there can be a genetic component, and they know there can be an upbringing/experiences component, but they're not sure how much of one there is and how to figure out which is which.

It's likely that free floating anxiety is caused by any or all of the following:
Neurotransmitters Anxiety causes and can be caused by a poor balance of neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are brain chemicals, like serotonin, that send messages to the brain. Several neurotransmitters have been linked to anxiety, including norepinephrine, serotonin, and GABA.
Life Experience Life experience can also lead to the development of anxiety. There's no way to know exactly how, but it's possible that it's a combination of upbringing, confidence, bullying, parenting, and reinforcement depending on how you've acted in various situations.
Stress Significant, long term stress can also create anxiety disorders. Again, it's not clear how this occurs, but the likelihood is that stress changes your hormone production semi-permanently, which in turn changes how your brain is able to process and handle anxiety.
Diet and Exercise Finally, both diet and exercise can and do lead to anxiety in many people. Diet tends to be less common, although low levels of vitamins like magnesium have been linked to anxiety, as has dehydration. Exercise has a known anxiety link. Without exercise, the body's excess energy isn't regulated, and that can lead to the physical stress and anxiety disorders.
In almost every case it is likely a combination of many of these factors, and the exact origins are unlikely to be known. Regardless, all of these can create a feeling of anxiety that does not seem to have a specific cause or trigger.

eclectic beagle
07-18-14, 06:39 PM

I haven't read anything suggesting free floating anxiety typically is a result of brain damage, but it's obviously one potential cause.

excel
07-19-14, 02:17 PM
Anxiety is so confusing to the average person

eclectic beagle
07-19-14, 02:49 PM
Anxiety is so confusing to the average person

Or even the sufferer.

excel
07-30-14, 03:05 PM
Sure is

excel
08-08-14, 11:28 AM
Would you say free floating anxiety is the same as GAD

BellaVita
08-08-14, 03:28 PM

I think it can often be associated with it, makes sense, and perhaps other mental things like the anxiety present in a manic episode.

Hathor
08-08-14, 09:57 PM

Absolutely not. That is sort of like saying a shot of bourbon is the same as alcohol poisoning

sarahsweets
08-09-14, 05:52 AM
Also known as "river anxiety ";)

Greyhound1
08-09-14, 10:23 AM
Absolutely not. That is sort of like saying a shot of bourbon is the same as alcohol poisoning

I think free floating anxiety is the prominent symptom of GAD. I think you can have some free floating anxiety without it being GAD. I don't think you can have GAD without excessive free floating anxiety.

Uncontrollable and overwhelming free floating anxiety would be GAD.

Overview of Anxiety
Anxiety is a normal reaction to threatening, dangerous, uncertain, or important situations. Psychiatric medicine classifies anxiety as normal or pathological. In many cases, normal anxiety can enhance function, motivation, and productivity (e.g., in the person who works well under pressure). People with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) experience pathological anxiety, which is excessive, chronic, and typically interferes with the ability to function in normal daily activities. Generalized or "free-floating" anxiety is distinguished from phobia because it is not triggered by a specific object or situation.

Hathor
08-09-14, 03:41 PM
I don't know, I have social anxiety/avoidance and very rarely experience anxiety over nothing, but since I am otherwise pretty chill I am not a good example :)

great topic thou.

Edit: nah, I disagree on further reflexion. Excessive Anxiety from nothing is not general, unless nothing is general :confused: LOL lOL lOLL :)

2nd edit: ok now I see the problem, I was thinking about Angst about the true nothing [sic] and not a lack of specificity

Generalized or "free-floating" anxiety is distinguished from phobia because it is not triggered by a specific object or situation.

when you said this in post 2: "It is when you get anxiety out of nowhere", I thought of Angst, hence the babylon/cortisone produktion problem:

20. What we call a “feeling” is neither a transitory epiphenomenon of our thinking and willing behavior nor simply an impulse that provokes such behavior nor merely a present condition we have to put up with somehow or other. But just when moods of this sort bring us face to face with beings as a whole they conceal from us the nothing we are seeking. Now we come to share even less in the opinion that the negation of beings as a whole that are revealed to us in mood places us before the nothing. Such a thing could happen only in a correspondingly original mood which in the most proper sense of unveiling reveals the nothing.

21. Does such an attunement, in which man is brought before the nothing itself, occur in human existence? This can and does occur, although [I]rarely enough and only for a moment, in the fundamental mood of anxiety. By this anxiety we do not mean the quite common anxiousness, ultimately reducible to fearfulness, which all too readily comes over us. Anxiety is basically different from fear. We become afraid in the face of this or that particular being that threatens us in this or that particular respect. Fear in the face of something is also in each case a fear for something in particular. Because fear possesses this trait of being “fear in the face of” and “fear for,” he who fears and is afraid is captive to the mood in which he finds himself. Striving to rescue himself from this particular thing, he becomes unsure of everything else and completely “loses his head.” 22. Anxiety does not let such confusion arise. Much to the contrary, a peculiar calm pervades it. Anxiety is indeed anxiety in the face of... ,but not in the face of this or that thing. Anxiety in the face of . . . is always anxiety for . . . , but not for this or that. The indeterminateness of that in the face of which and for which we become anxious is no mere lack of determination but rather the essential impossibility of determining it. In a familiar phrase this indeterminateness comes to the fore.

23. In anxiety, we say, “one feels ill at ease [es ist einem un*heimlich].” What is “it” that makes “one” feel ill at ease? We cannot say what it is before which one feels ill at ease. As a whole it is so for him. All things and we ourselves sink into indifference. This, however, not in the sense of mere disappearance. Rather in this very receding things turn toward us. The receding of beings as a whole that closes in on us in anxiety oppresses us. We can get no hold on things. In the slipping away of beings only this “no hold on things” comes over us and remains. Anxiety reveals the nothing.

http://www.naturalthinker.net/trl/texts/Heidegger,Martin/Heidegger.Martin..What%20Is%20Metaphysics.htm

1/3 = .333...
2/3 = .666...

Happy 1k dog ;)

excel
08-13-14, 09:30 PM
Still confused

Greyhound1
08-13-14, 11:41 PM
Still confused

I think the more we learn about it the more we realize how confused we really are. :)

excel
08-17-14, 04:56 PM
What natural ways can we defeat it?

excel
12-06-14, 08:37 PM
Is floating anxiety their a good website that explains free

MrsNewton
12-07-14, 02:50 AM
Still confused

So, GAD is just a way of saying "Random anxiety, of all kinds with and without reason". As opposed to Social Anxiety, which doesn't usually involve, say, worrying about our loved ones being in a car accident, GAD involves all different kinds of anxiety and worrying thoughts.

Floating anxiety is just describing the kind of anxiety you get when you're, say, walking down the street and your heart starts racing for no apparent reason. You get the anxious feeling, but there isn't anything specific that triggered it.

You can have floating anxiety without having GAD, but not the other way around.

excel
12-26-14, 08:00 PM
I still don't understand floating anxiety

Hathor
12-27-14, 09:11 AM
just go with it and let the answers come as insights. I doubt anyone understands it completely, so perhaps you are better off than somebody who thinks they understand; understand?

http://a1.s6img.com/cdn/box_002/post_12/341145_13052197_lz.jpg