View Full Version : Seeming as if you don't care...

Greengrasshoppe
07-13-14, 07:23 PM
Have you ever been told you seem/act as if you don't care (about a situation, person or whatever) when it wasn't true? By whom and what was the situation? Do you think it was related to your ADHD?

RedHairedWitch
07-14-14, 01:13 PM
All the time.

I wrote about it here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1207416&postcount=54

Stevuke79
07-14-14, 02:34 PM
All the time. I think it's mostly because I fidget, yawn, look around from time to time and seem to react to every single noise around me. I think I've learned to appear more focused than I used to. (also, meds help)

GRbiker
07-14-14, 11:34 PM
Yes, the first time was my high school English Literature teacher, told me I don't "seem to give a rip" and asked me to try harder. I did and got A's after that.

Now I get it a lot from my partner, and suspect my boss, co-workers and my extended family would if they were blunt.

Yes, I know its because of inattentive ADD, by its very nature makes it appear as if I don't care. I do but have trouble making it show, and expressing it verbally doesn't come across sincerely.

sarahsweets
07-15-14, 05:25 AM
People that know me know I care. People that don't can go f**k themselves.

Fuzzy12
07-15-14, 05:32 AM
Yes, a lot. Mostly in personal settings, friends, partners and relatives. My husband used to think I don't care for him because I didn't contribute much to our life, or kept forgetting things or struggled to listen. Since my diagnosis this has become much better. Now he knows that when I don't do something, it's not because I don't care enough but I really can't.

RobboW
07-15-14, 07:31 AM
Yeah, me too. It's that inattentive wall between me and the world. It often filters reactions and interactions. The mind is busy processing too much and input can be fragmented with little working memory free to accept new, complex data. It comes in as smaller bits to be assembled and digested. The exception is usually anger, it's simple, reactive and explosive, not thoughtful and considered.

moth2flame
07-15-14, 07:03 PM
Yep, all my life. :umm1: I realize now that this couldn't be further from the truth - I in fact do care a GREAT deal - but for a long time I heard it so often, and about so many things, I almost started to believe it. I guess out of some sort of twisted self-defense, or something... blah.

daveddd
07-15-14, 08:39 PM
yep, all the time

i don't express emotion very well ,

because of the adhd?.. who knows