View Full Version : Just starting Adderall XR, questions for other on Adderall.

merelyAdreamer
07-15-14, 05:33 PM
So today was my first day taking 10mg of Adderall XR. I am 26 years old and was only diagnosed with ADHD this year, though looking back I know it's something I've struggled with for most of my life, most strongly since middle school. First, I want to say that I was pretty skeptical when I read/was told by my doctor that I could start to feel the effects of it after only half an hour. But, sure enough, within 45 minutes of taking the pill it was pretty darn amazing, and now a couple of hours later I just feel like this fog has been lifted off of me.

Anyway, I definitely still feel like I am having trouble picking a task to work on. Before, it was like I couldn't find motivation to do anything, now it's like the motivation is there but the focus still isn't quite honed enough. Is this normal? If this happened to you in your experience starting with Adderall, was it something that got better once you got through the "transition" period, or did it end up being a sign that the dosage was too low?

Speaking of transition periods, how long did YOURS take? For about an hour and a half I had a period of dizziness/shortness of breath, but that has passed now and I'm just left with a slight jittery feeling, which I know could just be through the transition, but might also stick around. The jittery-ness I can deal with, and even the dizziness I can deal with occasionally, but I curious what your experience was. My doctor said that unlike other medication, like antidepressants, I can take it on the days that I need it and not take it when I don't. I am going to be taking the GRE this Saturday (blech) and I know that this is a time I would absolutely want to take the medication, but I'm also a little nervous about getting there and having to deal with the dizziness and shortness of breath while I'm taking the test. Obviously no one can answer how long I'll have these symptoms, so I'll have to make that call on my own, but I'm just curious about others' experiences.

Finally, for those of you who have made it all the way through this crazy long post, how has Adderall affected your period and how has your period affected the effects of the Adderall, if at all? I can sometimes get dizzy and short of breath while I'm on my period, so I also can't tell right now anyway if it's 100% the adderall, so I'm just curious if anyone has noticed any differences.

Thanks!!

sarahsweets
07-16-14, 05:32 AM
It really sounds like you arent on a high enough dose. I feel like your level of focus would.be better on A different dose.

Greyhound1
07-16-14, 10:53 PM
I think what you are experiencing are normal. Your body needs an adjustment period to get used to your medication. I couldn't sleep for 3 days when I started Adderall. My mind wouldn't stop. Now it has the opposite effect. It slows it down so I can focus.

I think it is way too soon to even consider worrying about your dosage. Your post was just a few hours after taking your first dose!

Let your system get adjusted for a week or 2 before you attempt to evaluate it. Don't give up or doubt your medication without giving it a fair chance.

merelyAdreamer
07-22-14, 01:46 PM
Well I got switched over from the Adderall XR to Concerta 18mg. The past two days I felt like the intensity of the side effects from the Adderall had gone down quite a bit so I was happy, but my doctor took my stats and my resting heart rate was like 110, so she decided it probably wasn't a good idea to keep on it. I agree with the decision, though I haven't heard a whole lot of great things about Concerta so I'm hesitant about that. I guess I'll have to see how things go, I'll meet with her again in 2 weeks unless things go really poorly.