View Full Version : Earthing

Kunga Dorji
07-15-14, 10:45 PM
Well it seems I am acquiring a habit of going for "alternative" treatments.

I am actually getting a bit nervous about posting any more- lest it be imagined that I have completely lost the plot.

However........:)

I have been investigating the issue of electromagnetic pollution for some time and it turns out that one of the biggest sources of this problem is the shoes we wear and the floor coverings we use.

I have recently acquired a bedsheet which has silver wires through it and connects to the ground plug in the power point.

This is something that my friends had encouraged me to do for some time- and the results have been quite spectacular in terms of reduction in overall stress state and improvements in sleep. It has also greatly reduced my residual back pain issues.

So the basic theory behind it is as follows:

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }A:link { }</style> For some years there have been concerns about the effects of electromagnetic radiation on human health.

These are legitimate concerns primarily for the simple reason that the electromagnetic environment we are exposed to is radically different to the one in which we evolved.
The significance of mismatch between the environment any organism has evolved for and the environment the organism as a cause of disease is not controversial amongst any biologist ( or for that matter any person who has tried growing any garden plant outside its ideal climatic zone).

Until a few generations ago, most humans walked and slept in direct contact with the surface of the earth. Our modern life style involves wearing insulating shoes and sleeping in buildings that electrically isolate the body from the ground plane. While some people intuitively sense that they feel better when they walk or even sleep directly on the earth (as on a camping trip), most of the population is more or less permanently isolated from the earth’s electrical influences.
The earth’s surface is electrically conductive and is maintained at a negative potential by a global electrical circuit. This circuit has three main generators: the solar wind entering the magnetosphere; the ionospheric wind; and thunderstorms (35). An estimated 1000 to 2000 thunderstorms are continually active around the globe, emitting thousands of lightening strikes per minute. This creates a constant current of thousands of amperes transferring positive charge to the upper atmosphere and negative charge to the surface of the earth. The earth’s surface is therefore an abundant source of free electrons (11).
When humans are in direct contact with the earth (barefoot), free electrons are conducted onto the skin surface and into the body via the mucus membranes of the digestive and respiratory systems. The body is thereby maintained at the same electrical potential as the earth. This has been the natural bioelectrical environment of the human body and of other organisms throughout most of evolutionary history.
When standing outdoors, the unearthed body (wearing shoes with insulating soles) equilibrates with the potential of the atmosphere, which is electrically positive in normal weather conditions. When one is standing or sleeping inside a building, the unearthed body becomes electrified by ambient electric and electromagnetic fields. Connecting such person to the earth immediately reduces this electrification.

Several basic facts need to be considered here:

Until the advent of civilisation it was normal to walk or run without shoes and people were relatively unclothed.
Until the 1950's most shoe soles were made of leather, which is electrically conductive.
The advent of this insulating footwear has created a situation where the slow, insensible loss of electrons from our bodies into the atmosphere is not compensated for by a flow of electrons from the earth to our bodies. As a consequence we accumulate a small positive electrical charge, more substantial if we are exposed to significant electromagnetic fields, as most of us are (through use of mobile phones, computers, and other consumer electrical appliances).
The shape of every single protein in our bodies is dependent upon the electrical charge it carries.
The damage done to our bodies by oxidation through the action of free radicals is undisputed, and it is known to lead directly to accelerated ageing, inflammatory and malignant disease. Free radicals cause their damage by stripping electrons from the proteins and other compounds in our body. Antioxidants act as electron donors- effectively neutralising the free radicals and turning them into less destructive compounds. For our body's antioxidant system to function it must have an adequate supply of free electrons to neutralise the free radicals in our body.
While the emphasis in neurology has been on neurotransmitters, it is a fact that the majority of information transmission in the body is bioelectrical rather than chemical:
Propagation of nerve impulses along each neurone is electrical, and the synapse between neurones is only a tiny proportion of the distance travelled by each action potential in any one “message” sent from one part of the body to another.
There is increasing evidence that the coordination of firing of multiple parts of the brain required to produce any co-ordinated activity, may be achieved through electromagnetic pulses generated in “pacemakers” within the brain that generate bursts of gamma frequency brainwaves.
Additionally there is increasing awareness of the existence and importance of bioelectrically closed circuits within the body. (Nordenström B.)
Footnote: Dr Björn Nordenström, was a former chair of the Nobel Selection Committee for Medicine, and the radiologist who pioneered fine needle biopsy techniques in radiology.
At this stage it appears that the acupuncture meridians probably represent paths of low electrical resistance within myofascial planes. It would appear that the passage of electrical impulses along these meridians may well have a role in coordinating the activity of muscles that lie within a single myofascial plane.

In any case there is now a growing body of evidence to support the health benefits of regularly grounding oneself- in the electrical sense of the word grounding, rather than in the spiritual sense.

Health benefits so far described are:

Decreases the inflammatory response and reduces the symptoms or eliminates many inflammatory disorders.
Reduces or eliminates chronic pain
relieves muscle tension and headaches
lowers stress- by improving autonomic nervous system balance and stress hormones
improves sleep in most cases
increases energy
normalises the body's biological rhythms- including diurnal cortisol profile
also reduces or eliminates jet lag
thins the blood- reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease
improves blood pressure
accelerates recovery from intense athletic activity
dramatically increases healing and helps prevent bedsores
lessens hormonal and menstrual symptoms
protects the body from the potentially disruptive effect of electromagnetic fields.

Laboratory studies also show a series of clearly demonstrable physiological changes that provide a clear, understandable scientific explanation for the basic mechanisms by which these changes in health status are produced.
So far I have linked specific studies to about 1/2 of the claims listed above- and I am still in the process of linking the rest- so please forgive this incomplete list.

Decreases the inflammatory response and reduces the symptoms or eliminates many inflammatory disorders.
http://74.63.154.231/here/wp- (http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Amalu_thermographic_case_studies_2004.pdf)content/uploads/2013/06/Amalu_thermographic_case_studies_2004.pdf (http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Amalu_thermographic_case_studies_2004.pdf)
Reduces or eliminates chronic pain
http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Amalu_thermographic_case_studies_2004.pdf
relieves muscle tension and headaches
lowers stress- by improving autonomic nervous system balance and stress hormones
http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Chevalier-Sinatra-HRV-Paper-2011.pdf
http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Chevalier_earthing_pulse_rate-2010.pdf
www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(11)00364-1/fulltext (http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(11)00364-1/fulltext)
improves sleep in most cases
http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Ghaly__Teplitz_cortisol_study_2004.pdf
increases energy
normalises the body's biological rhythms- including diurnal cortisol profile
http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Ghaly__Teplitz_cortisol_study_2004.pdf
also reduces or eliminates jet lag
thins the blood- reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1089/acm.2011.0820
improves blood pressure
accelerates recovery from intense athletic activity
dramatically increases healing and helps prevent bedsores
lessens hormonal and menstrual symptoms
protects the body from the potentially disruptive effect of electromagnetic fields.
http://74.63.154.231/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Applewhite_earthing_body_voltage_2005.pdf

Research can be found at:

http://earthinginstitute.net/research/

mildadhd
07-25-14, 12:10 AM
I keep wanting to discuss these subjects but I don't know enough about the subjects.

I get really nervous around electricity, not only because I could day-dream and electrocute myself.

But when focusing on brain stimulation, if I understand correctly deep electrical stimulation needs the understanding of a well trained professional to accurately stimulate the right areas of the brain to get the desired effect.

I watched a show partly about treating alzheimers with deep electrical probs was one way to promote hipocampus growth. In one surgery the surgeons where off by one millimenter and needed to move a probe over 1 millimeter.

The man with alzheimers actually is showing improvement after 5 years.

I think there is a battery promoting the development.?

New subjects are harder for me to grasp at first.

Please excuse my scatterness, but I guess saying something with the intention to learn more is better than not saying anything at all.

P

mildadhd
07-25-14, 12:22 AM
I have been really curious lately about how alternating electrical and chemical signals work during neurotransmission process?

Also everytime I look at my electric guitar, (that I have never plugged in yet :D) (Getting more fun everyday)

I keep picturing a bed shaped like an electric guitar wondering if you can tune the wires in your bed sheets?

I know you can't but, I keep thinking that anyway.

I used to travel a lot when I was younger, and I noticed when I moved to a small town, I had trouble sleeping for a couple of weeks because it was to quiet.

And vice versa, when I moved from a small town to a big city, I couldn't sleep for a couple of weeks because it was to noisy.

P

Kunga Dorji
07-25-14, 06:08 AM
I keep wanting to discuss these subjects but I don't know enough about the subjects.

I get really nervous around electricity, not only because I could day-dream and electrocute myself.

But when focusing on brain stimulation, if I understand correctly deep electrical stimulation needs the understanding of a well trained professional to accurately stimulate the right areas of the brain to get the desired effect.

I watched a show partly about treating alzheimers with deep electrical probs was one way to promote hipocampus growth. In one surgery the surgeons where off by one millimenter and needed to move a probe over 1 millimeter.

The man with alzheimers actually is showing improvement after 5 years.

I think there is a battery promoting the development.?

New subjects are harder for me to grasp at first.

Please excuse my scatterness, but I guess saying something with the intention to learn more is better than not saying anything at all.

P

If you don't poke you will never find anything out.
You have to have the confidence to fail.

Deep Brain Stimulation is interesting- but probably only from a research perspective.
It is hellishly expensive- and a long way away from being a cheap and widely applicable therapy.

mildadhd
07-25-14, 11:34 AM
Thanks

Is confidence a neuropeptide?

MEWE

mildadhd
07-25-14, 11:41 AM
If you don't poke you will never find anything out.
You have to have the confidence to fail.

Deep Brain Stimulation is interesting- but probably only from a research perspective.
It is hellishly expensive- and a long way away from being a cheap and widely applicable therapy.

Failure will be my only goal.

Starting from the PAG, how many brain layers are there? (layers in regards to different evolutionary levels/layers/types of brain stimulation.)

"Like layers in the grand canyon, but in reverse"- paraphrasing Panksepp

http://brainmind.com/images/periaqueductal300.gif

MEWE

Lunacie
07-25-14, 03:41 PM
I think this sorta went off in a parallel track and I'd like to ask something about the first idea: that of flushing excess electromagnetic pollution

rather than using electromagnetic energy to tinker with the brain.

I have been investigating the issue of electromagnetic pollution for some time and it turns out that one of the biggest sources of this problem is the shoes we wear and the floor coverings we use.

I have recently acquired a bedsheet which has silver wires through it and connects to the ground plug in the power point.

Looking back (although my memory isn't perfect) I think I did feel better at those times when I primarily wore leather moccasins and went barefoot a lot more.

I'm curious about this strange bedsheet and how it works. Do you have any links you can share?

Kunga Dorji
07-26-14, 08:00 PM
I think this sorta went off in a parallel track and I'd like to ask something about the first idea: that of flushing excess electromagnetic pollution

rather than using electromagnetic energy to tinker with the brain.

Looking back (although my memory isn't perfect) I think I did feel better at those times when I primarily wore leather moccasins and went barefoot a lot more.

I'm curious about this strange bedsheet and how it works. Do you have any links you can share?

Hi Lunacie,

the main research links are in my first post- but I will re-link to the page where the research so far is collected:
http://earthinginstitute.net/research/

The bedsheet itself is purchased through a commercial site - just search for "barefoot healing".

As best as I can see simply being connected to earth- either via a pad for your feet at the computer, or via a sheet, is sufficient to neutralise the effects of exposure to EM radiation.

Some people have advocated wrapping themselves in a "recovery blanket"- or having a fitted sheet and a top sheet.
As far as I can see this should offer very little extra advantage.