View Full Version : Question about ritalin and anxiety

noradd
07-16-14, 11:34 AM
If ritalin should make anxiety worse in a certain person then when would the anxiety appear or usually be the strongest? My reasoning would be that the anxiety should kick in a while after taking the ritalin when the concentration is the highest. However, yesterday I took ritalin and a few hours later when it should have been out of the system already, or at least the concentration should have been very low, I suddenly felt like getting a panic attack. Now I don't know if this was simply a coincidence or if ritalin can also cause panic when you come down. Is this possible?

Flory
07-16-14, 11:51 AM
it was worst for me at peak concentrations like when i would get a suden release of the concerta and i had also necked a ritalin at the wrong moment so would be like a 10-15mg ritalin rush plus however much concerta was being released into blood serum and also bad when i was coming down....my thoughts went so black it was hideous..that is why i eneded up having to change meds ultimately...was at a silly dose with too high side effects, kind of negated any beneift i was receiving

HADDaball
07-16-14, 07:01 PM
However, yesterday I took ritalin and a few hours later when it should have been out of the system already, or at least the concentration should have been very low, I suddenly felt like getting a panic attack. ...

was there any cause for the panic? It may be that you're more aware of your body on Ritalin.

noradd
07-21-14, 02:45 PM
Hello, it was at night and usually I feel worse at night when it's dark and then suddenly I felt panicky. Could have been a coincidence. But I guess I'll rather keep my ritalin intake low and not go over 20mg per day. But if ritalin can cause anxiety both when the serum level is at a peak and when you're coming off it then this sucks. This would mean that you're more or less dependent on it and always have to throw in a new dose to prevent a possible anxiety attack.

aeon
07-21-14, 06:10 PM
Comedown from methylphenidate in the evening was always a head-fogged, anxious, dysphoric cluster**** for me.

That said, I was also anxious during peak. Sometimes that was motivating. Sometimes it meant inability to get things done, regardless of my focused, clear head.

clydethompson
07-24-14, 03:47 AM
yesterday I took ritalin and a few hours later when it should have been out of the system already, or at least the concentration should have been very low, I suddenly felt like getting a panic attack. Now I don't know if this was simply a coincidence or if ritalin can also cause panic when you come down. Is this possible?

very possible, when its wearing off it helps to have food, or a snack. I have no other explanation for it but it works better than beta blockers or valium.
could be your heart beginning to compensate in a way for no more stimulant helping it out? I've been wondering the same thing but since I started having dinner earlier its helped

Fuzzy12
07-24-14, 04:52 AM
How long have you been taking ritalin? When I took Ritalin, I did get very anxious but only when it started wearing off. I usually don't have a huge problem with anxiety but I crashed very badly every time about 4h after my last dose. I didn't take it for very long but the same thing happened with dexamphetamine. It did get much better after a few months though.

Also, I started dosing more frequently, i.e. every 2h so that I took the next dose before the previous one started wearing off and that made a huge difference.

Mike7321
08-15-14, 02:22 AM
Another thing to consider is that the withdrawal effects are opposite of the therapeautic effects for most medications. Did you find decreased anxiety during the peak concentration times? This could explain that. This is why people that take benzodiazapenes at night for sleep (only horrible physicians would suggest this) or alcohol before bed often report panic attacks in the middle of the night or upon waking in the morning.

noradd
08-20-14, 09:28 AM
Hello,
no I dont get anxiety during the "peak" times.
I also only got anxiety in the evening once, maybe it was a coincidence.

Do you think that it would make sense to do an experiment and take ritalin when you feel anxious just to see what happens wether it makes it worse or wether it does nothing at all?