View Full Version : Anybody else feel a decrease of PTSD/Anxiety symptoms while on medication?

fedabog
07-17-14, 06:34 PM
I was initially fearful of taking adderall, because my doctor warned me that a stimulant could really cause a spike in my anxiety symptoms.

However, the complete opposite has happened. Since starting adderall, I feel like my anxiety is almost completely gone, and my PTSD is much more under control. For instance, I was listening to a song yesterday that always triggers my PTSD (usually in the form of a panic attack and/or bawling my eyes out). However, in this instance, I made it through the whole song without even thinking of the trigger!

It almost seems that now I have the ability to control my thoughts, I can control my triggers and block out my anxiety.

Has anybody else experienced something like this?

aeon
07-17-14, 10:25 PM
Dexedrine reduces my overall anxiety (in part, I think, because I am focusing on something other than worrying) and also greatly reduces my social anxiety.

spamspambacon
07-17-14, 10:57 PM
I'm about the biggest fail when it comes to noticing things about myself.

I'm on Adderall IR (60mg/day, taken on a self-designed schedule - I am control group and test group in one ;)) and Effexor (300mg) for my anxiety.
I have PTSD as well, so looks like we match up in Crap-We-Gots™

Here are some variables of my own situation:

My PTSD causes are not yet behind me.

I'm on the backside of the nightmare, (he fled to S. America) but I'm still slogging my way thru each day, making glacially-slow advances towards getting my life back. I was the SOLE focus of a paranoid delusional person whose every waking moment was spent trying to get me to take my own life. (And he spared no expense.) His own mental illnesses included Narcissistic PD; it's common for them to be charismatic and charming to outsiders. So almost everyone, including my own family, believed he was such a nice person, and as a result, I was not only disbelieved, but admonished! He got a lot of people to either unwittingly help him, or sadly, willingly help, as they did not know me... they knew only of the info he gave them, which of course, was delusional, but they didn't know this.

I quickly learned to keep my mouth shut, and now have a lot of anger towards "them".

Not sure how that relates to your own situation, but its a reference for ya'.

Additionally, I take Corepharma generic Adderall. I've read a comment here that mentioned the poster didn't get the slight euphoric feeling as they did on other brands. I certainly don't get any euphoric feeling. As a matter of fact, a LOT of times, I take one and soon after (15 mins), I can't keep my eyes open. (Corepharma is all I've known, IR-wise)

That said, I don't get the feeling that my anxiety is any less, BECAUSE of the Adderall.

Oh! I do take a Xanax once in a blue moon, usually when I've got to deal with something that rips my PTSD wounds open all over again. (I have gone thru 30 pills in 2 years, so not much, I think?)

Don't know if this helps,
but it kinda helped me to write it down.
I've never spoken about this to anyone 'cept my shrink.

Clicking submit before I click delete.

:)

cheers,

~spammy

Jmgoodma1980
07-18-14, 01:40 AM
Yes! I actually started to see a psychologist because my anxiety was out of control. I assumed they would increase my anxiety medication but instead she asked me if I had ever been diagnosed ADHD. I told her I had as a child and was never medicated because I was able to cope with it. My doc told me she wanted to put me on stimulants and that should help the problemm. It took me about 6 weeks to make the decision to go on vyvanse and 30 minutes after I took that pill my anxiety was gone and I have not looked back. Don't get me wrong, I still get anxiety about things that should cause anxiety but I don't live my life feeling like I am running from a bear all the time and having at least 4 drinks at the end of the day just to calm myself down.

Fuzzy12
07-18-14, 05:03 AM
I take dexamphetamine but it definitely reduces anxiety or any other negative feelings for me. My theory is that many ADHDers have problems with emotional regulation and stimulants help with that as well.