View Full Version : What you can do today to jump-start your week

Jacksper
07-20-14, 04:45 AM
It's Sunday, the first day of the week. For many it's a day with a good amount of free time and it's an option to take some of that time to prepare for the next week. I want to argue that it's a great opportunity to do this.

First, you can plan your week; set a goal for the week, set daily goals, plan appointments, and so forth. This way you'll not only increase your potential for productivity, but it will also be more relaxed because you'll feel prepared. You can also plan other activities that help you relaxed, and free time.

Second, do some chores in the house (if you haven't done this Saturday). Clean up your space. Do your dishes and laundry. You can cook some meals for the next week. You may not want to spend too long on this (I know I don't ;)) but if you do it now you don't have to do it tomorrow when you'll have to start working again.

And third, take some time to relax well. Take a walk through the forest, read a good book, watch a nice movie with friends. Life's not only about work and so let's celebrate this.

Fourth, you can take some time to reflect - perhaps before you plan, on what you liked and didn't like about last week and on what you need to make the coming week good. For example you could find that you were a bit unrealistic in your goals and you could lower them a bit for the next week. Or something else.

----

As for me, today I will do most of these activities. What I look forward to most is a trip to the beach - something I haven't done in years. I travel two hours by bicycle and train (and then the same back) but it'll be worth it - I will enjoy swimming in the sea and having a nice walk there! :)

What will you do today?

kittyb21
07-20-14, 05:03 AM
Great plan Jacksper,

I'm feeling far more positive today, I've been non-productive and pretty grumpy for a while but today I am on it (well kinda)!

I've put away a few mountains of washing which have been watching me for weeks..
Now I'm off to walk the dog and have lunch at Wagamama, yum yum. I'm doing this on my own which is my relaxing treat.
Then I must do some food shopping as my poor children will need feeding this week.

Then the kids should get home and hopefully I will be a less grumpy mummy this week now I've had some 'me' time :-))

stef
07-20-14, 05:10 AM
errands this mrning
plan a few meals. cook hardboiled eggs for a salad tomorrow.
clean the worst of things that need it
do nails and find 2 possible work outfits ( otherwise do not think about work!)

watch tour de france and take a nap! :)

MADD As A Hatte
07-20-14, 05:24 AM
It's Sunday, ... prepare for the next week...

First, you can plan your week ... Second, do some chores in the house ... third, take some time to relax well ... Fourth, ... take some time to reflect

As for me, today ... I look forward to most is a trip to the beach ...

What will you do today?

Firstly, to you, a Dutchman, I extend my commiserations. In Australia, we are mourning our dead on flight MH17. I can only imagine what it is like for your nation, with so many families touched irrevocably by an appalling act of basttardry.

To your post ... Great post, thanks mate.

I've edited my KanBanFlow board to include a Sunday evening check list (there's a thread on the forum, a team of us who are helping each other keep up with our "to do" list) ...

What did I do today?
Hours of pre-reading for my next semester at uni;
some chores (I finally got the baking dish scrubbed up and looking brand new!);
social R&M (phone calls to friends, an email to my brother, chit chat with my children);
reflection; after months of neglect, I've finally done a proper review of my goals, per the GTD system.

I hope your day to the beach was lovely. I'm fortunate enough to live on the east coast of Australia, within minutes of the beach. Your post made me realise how much I take it for granted. Your post was a timely "heads up" about counting one's blessings, and being thankful for support systems, like StevUke79's Accountability thread. It's changing my LIFE!!

All the best

fracturedstory
07-21-14, 08:04 AM
I'm going to read a Star Trek magazine and write a blog. Last week I was lying on the couch watching a bunch of Net Flix movies and more Adventure Time episodes than a sane person should watch.

Traveler5
07-21-14, 06:06 PM
Firstly, to you, a Dutchman, I extend my commiserations. In Australia, we are mourning our dead on flight MH17. I can only imagine what it is like for your nation, with so many families touched irrevocably by an appalling act of basttardry.

:goodpost: How sad this has happened.:(

Jacksper
07-22-14, 02:38 AM
:goodpost: How sad this has happened.:(
Thanks MADD & Traveler for your sympathy, it's terrible! :(

@fractured - Sounds good! I hope you have enjoyed your day! :)

I've edited my KanBanFlow board to include a Sunday evening check list (there's a thread on the forum, a team of us who are helping each other keep up with our "to do" list) ...

What did I do today?
Hours of pre-reading for my next semester at uni;
some chores (I finally got the baking dish scrubbed up and looking brand new!);
social R&M (phone calls to friends, an email to my brother, chit chat with my children);
reflection; after months of neglect, I've finally done a proper review of my goals, per the GTD system.

I hope your day to the beach was lovely. I'm fortunate enough to live on the east coast of Australia, within minutes of the beach. Your post made me realise how much I take it for granted. Your post was a timely "heads up" about counting one's blessings, and being thankful for support systems, like StevUke79's Accountability thread. It's changing my LIFE!!

All the best

Wow that must've been a great day! You did a LOT of useful things!

I didn't go to the beach because time didn't allow it and I felt buzzed and unable to focus all day because I drank too much coffee. It took more than 6 hours to be able to feel good again. I learned from it that even something as simple as coffee can wreck your day and that I should limit myself to one cup a day (I just had one and it's strong enough).

About the beach - last Sunday I instead went to the beach of the Rhine and had swim there with a friend, which was nice. Next weekend I'll go to the "real" beach (of the sea)! :) Great that you live close to the beach, do you go there often?

And about the chores - I did everything yesterday (and a lot of actual work, it was a really good day) so I'm prepared now! :)

errands this mrning
plan a few meals. cook hardboiled eggs for a salad tomorrow.
clean the worst of things that need it
do nails and find 2 possible work outfits ( otherwise do not think about work!)

watch tour de france and take a nap! :)

@Stef - very nice, would've enjoyed the day you described myself (except for the nails part)! ;)

Great plan Jacksper,

I'm feeling far more positive today, I've been non-productive and pretty grumpy for a while but today I am on it (well kinda)!

I've put away a few mountains of washing which have been watching me for weeks..
Now I'm off to walk the dog and have lunch at Wagamama, yum yum. I'm doing this on my own which is my relaxing treat.
Then I must do some food shopping as my poor children will need feeding this week.

Then the kids should get home and hopefully I will be a less grumpy mummy this week now I've had some 'me' time :-))

@kittyb - I'm glad that you felt better, I hope it lasts! I am sorry to hear that you've been non-productive and grumpy, it can be though to break free from such a state of being.

Hope you enjoyed your 'me' time and that you'll have a lot more coming! ;)

MADD As A Hatte
07-22-14, 04:36 AM
About the beach - last Sunday I instead went to the beach of the Rhine ...

I'm fascinated. What is a "beach of the Rhine"? A river beach. How does that work?! ... This is my nearest beach, it's about ten minutes walk from home ... it's a "beach of the Pacific Ocean" ! Please post a link to a photo of your Rhine-beach. I'm just really curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killcare,_New_South_Wales#mediaviewer/File:Hardys_Bay.jpg

Jacksper
07-22-14, 06:15 AM
I'm fascinated. What is a "beach of the Rhine"? A river beach. How does that work?! ... This is my nearest beach, it's about ten minutes walk from home ... it's a "beach of the Pacific Ocean" ! Please post a link to a photo of your Rhine-beach. I'm just really curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killcare,_New_South_Wales#mediaviewer/File:Hardys_Bay.jpg

Wow that is an awesome beach! That's a 10 minute walk from home? Amazing!! :)

Here's a a picture of a river beach in the Netherlands - it's the beach of the Waal river, but it's look exactly the same as a Rhine beach:
http://www.hollandgroen.nl/picture/1/459/5022_905367148_xxl.jpg

We swim in the river because it's the best place to swim close to our town. It's nice, in winter we take New Years dives there (when it's freezing). In summer and spring we have barbeques and campfires there, play soccer and frisbee and I personally like to cross the river if there's not so many people, which is a nice challenge because of the currents and the ships - and it's illegal, making it even more interesting! ;)

MADD As A Hatte
07-22-14, 07:03 AM
Here's a a picture of a river beach in the Netherlands
http://www.hollandgroen.nl/picture/1/459/5022_905367148_xxl.jpg
I personally like to cross the river ... it's illegal, making it even more interesting! ;)

:goodpost: :giggle: :thankyou:

FANTAAAAAASTIC. And HILAAAAAAARIOUS.

Every year, young Australians fly half way around the world, to go to Amsterdam to do the most wicked thing they can find. Like, you know, casually smoking pot IN PUBLIC! Tres avant garde, since c. 1967.

[I never inhaled. Please let me make that PERFECTLY CLEAR.]

But thanks to your post, I now find out - WOW - there's a whole 'nother ILLEGAL ACTIIVITY going on in the land of the dykes, which I never heard about ...

I'm going to spread the word at university, to the young ones ... forget hashish, this river-crossing thing is WICKED!!!!

P.S. Thank you for the beach pics. Exactly like Balmoral Beach, here in Sydney.