View Full Version : Anxiety Sundays

Greyhound1
07-20-14, 04:54 PM
I seem to get the most consistent anxiety on Sundays. I wake up and feel fine but as the day progresses it manifests. I hate it because I get paralyzed by anxiety and end up wasting a precious day off.

I am sure my anxiety must relate to the start of the work week or perhaps dealing with the real world somehow. Everything at work is good and I feel confident in my ability to perform my job. I am not sure why I consistently experience this free floating anxiety.

Every other day of the week I can usually determine the trigger or cause.

Anyone else have a hard time thinking straight and enjoying Sunday's?

stef
07-20-14, 05:04 PM
yes often!!!
it's a relaxing day but if I don't get a few things done I'll be miserable
but then i get all wound up if i do too much...

Writerman
07-27-14, 11:54 AM
I, too, seem to have the highest anxiety on Sundays, although I was diagnosed with tremor. Has nothing to do with Alzheimer's. It's called Essential Tremor. I take 5 mg of Clonazepam morning and 3 evening. It doesn't do the job perfect but it's much better. And yes it makes me groggy unless I stay busy. I know that is a high dose but it works better than anything else I've tried, and the interesting aspect is that Clonazepam is intended for anxiety and NOT tremor. I suppose I'm curious if such a high dose will do any damage in the long run, because it works now and I feel great.

demfabbones
08-12-14, 04:01 PM
Yes, yes, yes! For me, I think it's the letdown of the fun of the weekend winding down. I sort of get used to the high-energy social whirlwind that (some) weekends are, and by Sunday, things are winding down and it makes me depressed/anxious. I have combated it by planning something fun for Sunday evenings.

Greyhound1
08-12-14, 05:11 PM
Yes, yes, yes! For me, I think it's the letdown of the fun of the weekend winding down. I sort of get used to the high-energy social whirlwind that (some) weekends are, and by Sunday, things are winding down and it makes me depressed/anxious. I have combated it by planning something fun for Sunday evenings.

I have tried doing things on Sunday evenings and that greatly increases anxiety. I can't seem to enjoy anything because it seems like I need the time to get refocused (worried) on work.

Sunday evening is when my brain changes gears. I feel like I need time to sort things out before I show up to work on Monday. If I show up in the wrong gear unprepared I can forget about anything.

moth2flame
08-12-14, 06:13 PM
I have tried doing things on Sunday evenings and that greatly increases anxiety. I can't seem to enjoy anything because it seems like I need the time to get refocused (worried) on work.

I had these same feelings of Sunday night anxiety all through my school years, and when I worked a Mon-Fri job. In school it was the worst, because if had homework I'd always leave it until Sunday night. I came to associate Sunday nights with the stress of homework crunch-time, in addition to the impending transition back to the "real" world, so it was no wonder I felt so anxious then!

Maybe you could try carving out some time on Sundays in which to just relax and veg out? Do something that's calming... take a hot bath, cook yourself a favorite meal, get lost in a low-key hobby you enjoy like gardening, snuggling pet(s), playing a game, etc. Just any way to associate Sundays with a good dose of relaxation and "me" time, to counteract the negative associations that have built up over the years.

demfabbones
08-13-14, 12:42 AM
Maybe you could try carving out some time on Sundays in which to just relax and veg out? Do something that's calming... take a hot bath, cook yourself a favorite meal, get lost in a low-key hobby you enjoy like gardening, snuggling pet(s), playing a game, etc. Just any way to associate Sundays with a good dose of relaxation and "me" time, to counteract the negative associations that have built up over the years.

I love the idea of having a wind-down routine and may steal it for myself. Also, maybe it would help you (if you don't already) to have a designated time to plan out your week - make a to-do list, review your calendar, etc.

stef
08-13-14, 03:09 AM
Sunday evening is when my brain changes gears. I feel like I need time to sort things out before I show up to work on Monday. If I show up in the wrong gear unprepared I can forget about anything.

I know, this is so frustrating! if I don't start sorting out some of my things (purse, clothes etc), I 'm totally unprepared on Monday but I absoultely want to enjoy the end of the day and not think about work. there is a small window of time for this (before dinner) and I usually miss it...

Greyhound1
08-14-14, 05:50 PM
I had these same feelings of Sunday night anxiety all through my school years, and when I worked a Mon-Fri job. In school it was the worst, because if had homework I'd always leave it until Sunday night. I came to associate Sunday nights with the stress of homework crunch-time, in addition to the impending transition back to the "real" world, so it was no wonder I felt so anxious then!

I think I have gone too far with relaxing Sundays. I end up hyper focusing on everything and end up wasting so much time. I go in zone where my mind feels like it is racing and thinking irrationally on its own. I get trapped inside my mind and I can't get away.

I really think I need to force myself to plan stimulating things to do on Sunday and carry them out. Something to keep my mind busy from going into racing anxiety zone.

I am good at planning fun things to do on Sunday. Things that I am looking forward to doing. It's just that when Sunday arrives they all feel like bad ideas and rarely do I follow through. How can my feelings be so different at different times?

someothertime
08-15-14, 10:19 AM
i dunno about sundays with me... but it sounds alot like this "half way" place i get when there is energy brewing with too much space / time / tasks etc... , tho there is nothing to form a structure around... it's almost like it's too open? too free? then as soon as something comes along ( son needs lift, dad needs shopping etc. etc. ) , the other things align, i feel motivated to do the initial stuff ... :scratch:

kinda like a song with no beat...

maybe dividing the day into two or three clearly separated "stages" might help.... aka.... force yourself to get to the market in the morning for an hour... then so on......