View Full Version : Physical/mental challenges

Chicky75
07-20-14, 10:13 PM
I wonder if something physically and mentally challenging is similar to what people say they get out of meditation?

I've been thinking about this a lot because I've always thought meditation would be good for me, but I just get so bored! But if I have a physical challenge that also includes a mental challenge and requires me to just keep focusing (or usually more likely re-focusing) on what I'm doing, it seems easier. Even better if I have to also conquer the part of me saying I can't do it.

For example, I recently rowed a small four person boat 9 miles over open (very busy) water. I haven't been rowing that long and had no real idea of what I was getting into, but once we were out there, there was no turning back. But after that experience, it feels like it's a lot easier get into the 'zone' of not thinking but just rowing during our shorter weekly practices - something that had been hard for me because there are usually a lot of distractions around.

And even though I might feel physically tired after, I usually feel mentally recharged.

Just physically challenging would probably have the same effect - there's definitely always a mental component when pushing yourself to the limits of what you can do, right?

CosmicDave
07-21-14, 07:34 PM
A good example with meditation and stimulation would be driving, With meditation you should go to the mental zone you seem to go into when you are driving on the highway and you reach your exit in what seemed like seconds, like your mind just seemed to drift off and you question how you made it to your destination safely. I know my description isnt great but I don't think im the only person to experience it. When thought, time, and emotion disappear and you are simply in a state of "being" AKA in the now