View Full Version : Question for you...

Tabbycat
07-22-14, 10:47 AM
Have you had a traumatic event, severe family problems, etc. in your life?
Do you feel it contributes to your depression?

you don't have to share what it is or anything (unless you want to)

Tabby

Lunacie
07-22-14, 11:01 AM
There are basically two kinds of depression.

One is situational: based on an event or ongoing situation you're living through.

The other is clinical: the chemicals in your brain are off-kilter, there isn't any more stress than usual.

Sometimes the first one may trigger the second one, and the first one certainly makes the second one worse if it's already ongoing.

Fuzzy12
07-22-14, 11:02 AM
I guess so though I'm not sure that if I hadn't had any "traumatic events" or an easier life I wouldn't be depressed.

Chicky75
07-29-14, 11:48 PM
Nope, not really. Which is why I don't talk to people in my life about depression... I don't want to hear the "what do you have to be depressed about" responses.

Nibs91
07-30-14, 11:00 AM
Nope, not really. Which is why I don't talk to people in my life about depression... I don't want to hear the "what do you have to be depressed about" responses.

:goodpost:

No one's got a clue....

RobboW
07-30-14, 11:24 AM
I've worked out I have some situational depression, but I can't stay depressed, it's not my natural state. I get angry about it, so swing between normal, brief depression then anger.
The thing is that it ultimately stems from ADD which I can't change, so if my wife cannot compromise my way, it will never be resolved. Meds can't fix that.

aeon
07-30-14, 11:42 AM
Yes, many, and yes, both directly through stress-mediated changes to the brain, and indirectly by maladaptive cognitions that once served to protect me in a chaotic environment over which I had no control.

There's also likely a genetic aspect to it.

sabotender
08-01-14, 09:29 AM
I'm starting to experience an 'onset' of depression, so thsts why im in here. I felt so horribly gloomy today I act like a complete idiot. Like I make people repeat to me simple sentences several times cause I couldn't catch a word. Felt so terrible and I stared blank, trying to articulate myself but end up meshing the words, people had to correct what I said. Even my regular doses of methyphenidate couldn't take away this problem today (usually it does, it helped me in being able to communicate effectively.) and then this feeling lingered; I could still focus well enough to do my work (okay the meds ain't completely useless) but once someone interrupted me i felt like snapping. I get so angry and then on my way home after work i kept walking the wrong direction, and the entire journey was so strenuous because I was mentally confused and couldn't tell left from right. I made it back home in one piece but I feel like crying. Just turn super emo now. If its caused by anything I really dont know. Nothing in my life changed significantly and yesterday I was still very happy because...well thats it. I dont know. Yesterday was yesterday.