View Full Version : Does getting an official diagnose matter?

Rainbows
07-23-14, 03:30 PM
If the child is doing well in school, not depressed and still being active within the school? Im here for the ADHD forum because my son has it, but my daughter was never officially diagnosed with anything other then being shy and later possible anxiety. At her last check up the PA mentioned anxiety again and I brought up Autism because some suggested this might be wrong with my daughter. Because of lack of facial emotion, doesn't really talk to anyone other then us or her friends........

She is not depressed, still plays all her electronics, rarely goes out but still loves to shop,extremely rarely "hangs out" with friends just the parties mainly, very active in the school and A/B honor roll.

My daughter doesnt want a medical label on her records because shes scared it will hurt her in the future and insists shes ok and just likes to be by herself. Yes, I have told her Im taking her to get checked and she gets so upset and takes it to heart and never lets it go. The PA said as long as shes not depressed and doing well in school, let it go?:confused:

silivrentoliel
07-23-14, 03:37 PM
How old is she?

Rainbows
07-23-14, 03:47 PM
She is 14 years old. So I know at her age having the normal "teen issues" come in to play, but Im just worried about her. And, I find myself defending her to everyone! I love her and am so proud of her, I see her making a great life for herself, but, how can she do that at a job when she cant hold a conversation?

silivrentoliel
07-23-14, 03:55 PM
when I was about her age, I tried my best to be like everyone else... it wasn't easy and looking back, I wish I hadn't been so concerned with labels... but I think it's probably part of the age.

If she were my kid, I'd probably just let her be w/o forcing her to go in and get evaluated. If it's something that she wants to do in the future, letting her know you'll be there to support her will be worth more than a diagnosis now, imo.

Rainbows
07-24-14, 02:10 PM
I dont want to force her, and I have gotten her upset when I mention it. I also have a another issue with her, her hygiene. When its noticeable by looking at her, I do not want to take her shopping or to appts. Is it wrong of me to ask her" hey honey, I know its hard or takes time out from your day but you have to take a shower or we aren't going"

Thanks again :)

silivrentoliel
07-24-14, 02:42 PM
I don't see how saying "shower or we're not going" is a bad thing... does it upset her or does she just not think about it?

RobboW
07-24-14, 07:25 PM
I would say, if basic hygiene is lacking, she needs a little help. The problem is being able to talk to her without upsetting her. She will end up with other labels from other children anyway if that isn't sorted, and they won't be kind...... Kids are not exactly tactful.

Rainbows
07-26-14, 02:29 PM
It does make her upset and I think it hurts her feelings as well.

RobboW- Kids shes known as already started on her because she is so quite. Im praying once school starts she can at least spruce up.