View Full Version : Ravenous

Jtsqueek
07-24-14, 07:11 AM
Hi there,
I have just started on concerta, day 3 now, we have started on 27mg, but since I was previously on 20mg ritalin long acting twice a day I'm sure we will be increasing the dose :P
So far its working great, my only question is , has anyone else been absolutely ravenous? I've heard most people don't have much of an appetite till the 8-10 hour mark, I am absolutely starving ALL day!

Fuzzy12
07-24-14, 08:24 AM
I haven't tried concerta but my meds kill my appetite when they are active. When I don't take meds though or when they've worn off I'm absolutely ravenous!! It's as if my body knows that I've missed a few pies and cakes during the day and believes that absolutely has to be compensated (it doesn't....).

The appetite suppressing effect is reducing slowly though.

I'm wondering if maybe the meds allow you to focus more on your hunger..or maybe be more in tune with your body's needs (or desires..)?

Also, is it possible that if the meds are working really well that you are burning more energy now maybe by increased physical or mental activity?

Jtsqueek
07-27-14, 05:06 PM
I haven't tried concerta but my meds kill my appetite when they are active. When I don't take meds though or when they've worn off I'm absolutely ravenous!! It's as if my body knows that I've missed a few pies and cakes during the day and believes that absolutely has to be compensated (it doesn't....).

The appetite suppressing effect is reducing slowly though.

I'm wondering if maybe the meds allow you to focus more on your hunger..or maybe be more in tune with your body's needs (or desires..)?

Also, is it possible that if the meds are working really well that you are burning more energy now maybe by increased physical or mental activity?

Thanks for the reply Fuzzy :), apologies for the delay, you could be spot on with the burning burning energy thing, I am a ICU nurse, working 12 shifts - most days on my feet atleast 11 of those 12, so I'm probably more in tune with whats going on, I am going to take a smoothie with me tomorrow and see if drinking that in the middle of the morning will help, because at the moment, I take the concerta and then eat breakfast - usually a bowl of oats - and within 2 hours I am beyond starving!

I take it at about 6am, by around 4pm I am EXHAUSTED and grumpy!

I found today, that taking my reflux meds (omeprazole) with the concerta - I was taking them at night previously - prevented this, so perhaps without the omeprazole I'm metabolizing the concerta too quickly.

I must say that the concerta kind of feels like it works, I am a little bit more focused and stay on track slightly more than usual, and my anxiety and frustration levels have really decreased, but its not a huge differance, but I've heard that the dose needs to be increased slowly.

Jtsqueek
07-27-14, 05:08 PM
Apologies that reply was a bit all over the place! hopefully you will get what I'm trying to say!:D:scratch: