View Full Version : Australian Study questions ADHD diagnoses

Andrew
03-08-03, 03:38 PM
by ABC News (Australia) Online , 2/9/2002

A new study has raised concerns about the misdiagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and the drugs used to treat the condition.

The report's author, clinical psychologist Bob Jacobs, says about 50,000 Australian children are now taking stimulants for ADHD, and a similar number are believed to have been diagnosed with the illness.

Dr Jacobs says there is no medical test for ADHD, and he believes many of the reported cases are behavioural problems.

"Many of them have very significant behavioural problems," he said.

"There's no question that many children are very challenging behaviourally both for their parents and their teachers.

"I think it's like that now, it's always been like that.

"It's not minimising that these children present difficult behaviour, it's just what makes us decide that they have a disease without any evidence."

symbol
06-08-04, 10:44 AM
when my boy was about nine he was major cause for concern due to his behaviour and i took him to a child psychiatric hospital where he was to stay for three months as an inpatient. The chief of the hospital told me there was no such thing as add and i believed him. NOw he is in his final year of high school and is the top student in maths, calculus, physics, science, geometry and geography..but he wont be going to uni because he is totally failing english, and its too late for me to do anything about it. The teachers at his school have a smugness about them that makes me think they are glad he is failing, because he is not a popular student due to his behaviour over the years. I wasnt even told about his struggle with english until it was too late for me to help with a tutor, they told me 3 weeks before his exam. (yes i should have checked his work but he doesnt like to show me his stuff) NOw i know it is add but time has been my enemy and i let it go for too long. I trusted this man and believed him to be an expert but my boy has only painful memories of this place where he was. He hates me for taking him there and gets angy at the way they treated him.

tudorose
06-10-04, 02:11 AM
Which state are you in? If you're in WA, contact LADS and see about getting some advocacy. Also, what school is he at. My daughter was nearly suspended from pre-primary so I wrote to the district director about the way it had been handled and as a result, the school psycholgist was removed from the school. It's not too late. They don't have to count English on his TEE. There are ways around it because ADHD is a recognised disability regardless of what a few uneducated idiots think.

deXtuX
08-18-04, 09:27 AM
when my boy was about nine he was major cause for concern due to his behaviour and i took him to a child psychiatric hospital where he was to stay for three months as an inpatient. The chief of the hospital told me there was no such thing as add and i believed him. NOw he is in his final year of high school and is the top student in maths, calculus, physics, science, geometry and geography..but he wont be going to uni because he is totally failing english, and its too late for me to do anything about it. The teachers at his school have a smugness about them that makes me think they are glad he is failing, because he is not a popular student due to his behaviour over the years. I wasnt even told about his struggle with english until it was too late for me to help with a tutor, they told me 3 weeks before his exam. (yes i should have checked his work but he doesnt like to show me his stuff) NOw i know it is add but time has been my enemy and i let it go for too long. I trusted this man and believed him to be an expert but my boy has only painful memories of this place where he was. He hates me for taking him there and gets angy at the way they treated him.
I totally failed the HSC because I failed english (or nearly failed: 61/100), but I enrolled in a non-award program at uni a year after that, and now am doing a Bachelor of Science, with an HD, D, and two Credits in first semester.
The English HSC course is, IMHO, utter rubish, and if he is as good as you say he is in Maths and his other subjects he will have no problem getting into uni through non-awards or a tertiary preparation course. The HSC is certainly not the end of it all; some of the best students in uni come through non-award or similar programs.
I have ADD and I found the hardest thing, even with medication (dex), is concentrating on something I am completely not interested in.

Rae70
10-07-04, 02:19 AM
Yes - but I think America seems to be overdiagnosing a lot more. I get very overwhelmed with the amount of very young children Under 6 that seem to be on medications. This concerns me greatly

Dragon_Lady
11-25-04, 10:02 AM
I have ADD and I found the hardest thing, even with medication (dex), is concentrating on something I am completely not interested in.I had the same problem when i was at TAFE. I took a 6 month break from my course in the hope that i would be able to finish it after having a break from 17 years of being "educated", only to completely drop out of it after 5 or 6 weeks.