View Full Version : Not yet diagnosed..

androoo
07-26-14, 01:08 AM
but i have my appointment in september with a psychiatrist. What should i expect?

I'm 33 years old and have only just realised that add might be a possible cause for how crap i have been at everything since secondary school. I always assumed add/adhd was people who were hyperactive, obviously not after doing a lot of reading on the subject.

Everything i've read is literally describing me!

I've read that people with add/adhd are more likely to use/seek drugs.. i've used drugs of all sorts (except heroin) from 1999 up until a couple of years ago.. completely stopped now as i'm a dad.
Should i tell the psychiatrist this?? i don't want the psychiatrist to think i'm just there to get a stimulant.

any tips on relevant information i should provide would be most appreciated..

apologies for the poor state of this post.. !!:rolleyes:

Pilgrim
07-27-14, 11:24 AM
I think you have to be careful with telling the psychiatrist of past abuse.
However I would go into a very detailed history of social, education and work that you think point out ADD.
He / she will look at this.
Sounds like you could be.
Goodluck

androoo
07-31-14, 03:47 AM
Thank you :)

Did anyone find that the moment they entertained the idea that they may have ADD, that they noticed themselves doing things which were add but getting more frustrated with themselves?

I sometimes wish i hadn't looked in to it at all.

Starter11
08-02-14, 04:05 PM
Some aspects of ADHD are probably irrelevant to your success.

What parts of ADHD seem to be part of being less successful, than you might be?

What strategies do you have for working around the shortcomings?

Can you try one issue?

//

flubio123
08-11-14, 06:29 PM
but i have my appointment in september with a psychiatrist. What should i expect?

I'm 33 years old and have only just realised that add might be a possible cause for how crap i have been at everything since secondary school. I always assumed add/adhd was people who were hyperactive, obviously not after doing a lot of reading on the subject.

Everything i've read is literally describing me!

I've read that people with add/adhd are more likely to use/seek drugs.. i've used drugs of all sorts (except heroin) from 1999 up until a couple of years ago.. completely stopped now as i'm a dad.
Should i tell the psychiatrist this?? i don't want the psychiatrist to think i'm just there to get a stimulant.

any tips on relevant information i should provide would be most appreciated..

apologies for the poor state of this post.. !!:rolleyes:

I just went for my assessment. Basically it was a bunch of weird tests that test your IQ and then see if you have any learning disabilities. The tests will individually stress parts of your brain and I left mine feeling particularly exhausted (which apparently is normal). I got incredibly frustrated in the middle of mine - I had to grit my teeth because I didn't have any caffeine for the entire week before to make sure I had a good baseline.
Also, speaking candidly about your drug use may be beneficial - I smoked a lot of pot and did many rave drugs and wrote it all out. If I'm taking an addictive drug and have addictive tendencies I want my doctor to be aware of it. Straterra may be your first avenue of treatment with medication though :)

Stevuke79
08-11-14, 06:47 PM
Good luck!

I don't think you should be afraid to tell your doctor about past drug abuse. If he knows what he's talkng about, he'll know that prescription ADHD medication reduces the chance of future addiction, even addiction to the ADHD medication itself.

androoo
09-02-14, 03:42 AM
Appointment was today, went, mentioned past drug use.. no issue there at all.
I scored top marks in the attentive bit, some hyperactivity.. got script for ritalin (1 month 55x5mg IR & 30x20mg SR)

Asked to try 3 days at 5mg IR each morning to see how i deal with ritalin.
Then 3 day with 20mg SR.. then i can play with the dosage myself, up to 45mg a day.

If it doesn't work or doesn't agree with me, i'm able to try dexamphetamine.

All good up to now, i'm hoping things change.. feeling hopeful :)

androoo
09-03-14, 05:06 AM
wow..today at work was great. my mind was *calm* all day, i did my work, took my time..didn't **** around, wasting time thinking about a million and one other things other then what i should be doing!

I started with 10mg IR from 7am -9.30am, then a 20mg SR and topped up with 10mg IR at 3pm.. i'm not sure whether this is alot or not enough but it worked for me

Sheppie
09-16-14, 05:16 AM
Congratulations and hopefully everything will be much better for you now. Sometimes we tend to blame ourselves, get angry at something we do (or don't do), get frustrated when in fact it's ADDs fault.

carter4
09-23-14, 03:43 AM
Stimulants have a very high success rate with inattentive ADD. You will be surprised how much your life will change for the better. It took me about 2 months to realize all of the differences taking ritalin made.

this is my advise
imo your starting dose is too high. I would slowly build up your dosage, and start out with only using IR a few times a day. The goal is to take the least mg possible for the most benefits. The more mg you take, the more side effects you may have. In my experience with ritalin, some side effects didn't start until weeks after I first started taking it. And when I increased my dosage, I felt the side effects more.

Another piece of advise I have, which you don't have to do, but possibly if you can get a 2nd opinion about your medication routine. In the last 5 years, I have seen 4 different psychiatrists. One of them was incompetent and over prescribed medications to me for disorders that I didn't even have. Also, in my experience (I have had other health problems and one surgery) there is a significant amount of doctors who are bad at their jobs and lead people in the wrong direction treatment wise.

androoo
09-25-14, 02:40 AM
thank you for the tips :)

I'm now on a different type of ritalin, can't remember the company..starts Nov-something or other. It seems to work well, 40mg LA and 10mg IR if needed.

I still find it up and down too quick though and some irritability (not everyday).

I have been given the option to try Dexedrine, which i think i'll do in a few weeks. I'd like to know if it works better then ritalin

Little Missy
09-25-14, 02:52 AM
Dexedrine could very well smooth out that up and down feeling for you and lessen the irritability.

androoo
09-25-14, 03:11 AM
Dexedrine could very well smooth out that up and down feeling for you and lessen the irritability.

I hope so.. the sudden drop in power is mighty annoying, putting that aside, stimulant medication has worked wonders for me. I keep forgetting how bad things were before i started them :)