View Full Version : Ritalin and Sugar Cravings

RMG046
07-26-14, 08:04 AM
I have been on Ritalin for almost a month now. I am on 20mg in the am and 10mg at noon. I am having strong cravings for sugar. I had the exact opposite effect on Adderall.
I take a multi vitamin and fish oil supplements. Any one else notice this?

I am not having much luck with Ritalin. I am not noticing any improved concentration at work and my productivity hasn't improved. The only thing better is the continuous self talk in my head.

Thanks!

silver.cell
07-29-14, 02:46 AM
I don't get sugar cravings but I do get cravings for sugary water like diet coke an stuff. I get the dries alot.

silver.cell
07-29-14, 02:54 AM
I have been on Ritalin for almost a month now. I am on 20mg in the am and 10mg at noon. I am having strong cravings for sugar. I had the exact opposite effect on Adderall.
I take a multi vitamin and fish oil supplements. Any one else notice this?

I am not having much luck with Ritalin. I am not noticing any improved concentration at work and my productivity hasn't improved. The only thing better is the continuous self talk in my head.

Thanks!

In regards to improved concentration, it might be the dosage you are on, it is really trial and error to begin with since everyone is different.

SR = Slow release
FR = Fast release

I started on 10mg FR in the morning and then carry it out during the day. But I noticed it wasn't helping much after day 2 since my body got used to it. So my Doc tried me on a 20mg SR and a 10mg FR and then just carry on spreading out 10mg FR during the day.

I personally found that that mix worked for me.

My issue was I got a tendency to get bored very quickly, easily distracted, kind of on my own little mission and planet...
My super visor would allocate tasks for me and I would never get any of them done because I would jump to and from different tasks.

But now I have all my energy focused and I am finding it really good. It's kind of like... in a way calling it "Focused energy" rather than chaotic.

I find I talk alot more than I used to though, but you will soon learn to control that on your own.

I think it just makes me feel way more confident to speak and do things.

RMG046
07-29-14, 11:09 PM
Silver.cell, I find the exact opposite to be true for me. On ritalin I am much more withdrawn, I have to make an effort to have a conversation and am just fine not talking which pre-medicated was not the case. I would talk a mile a minute to just about anyone about anything.
I went off ritalin yesterday, took nothing today and I am starting Vyvanse tomorrow. Ritalin kept making me very itchy all over. Combine that with my lack of focus at work and I just didn't think it was going well.

silver.cell
07-30-14, 12:41 AM
I guess everyone's body and minds are different and we all react to various medications differently.
It's quite funny how the same meds affects us in the complete opposites huh?

Idyllic
08-08-14, 12:04 PM
To me a month is long enough to realize whether a particular ADD med will work for you er...well Ritalin anyway. I stayed on Strattera a month due to the slow titration schedule but I knew at the two week mark that I was unwilling to live with the side effects. In fact as I look back any potential improvement was mitigated by the side effects.

I am going to ask about the fast release/slow release tabs Silver Cell mentioned. I thought I might need a dose increase but I actually think I would benefit from a slow release tablet.

I eat fruit by the boatload so I am wondering if I actually crave sugar as well I do not crave processed sugar as in carbonated beverages or junk food tho.