View Full Version : illegal drug use

androoo
07-26-14, 11:33 PM
I'm wanting to know whether being medicated for add has any effect on their desire to use drugs?

Does having add under control and being able to cope with everyday life mean the urge to go and get wasted gets smaller?

Conman
07-31-14, 12:27 AM
i wouldnt say being medicated has an effect on the desire. i think the desire is there cuz you must desire it alone.

to be honest, i would find being unable to cope with ad/hd being more of a reason to do substance cuz in some ways it appeal as self-medication. not sure if i put it that right way

Unmanagable
07-31-14, 01:18 AM
Finding the right medication and dosage greatly lessened my desires to want to drown my sorrows and seek other ways of self-medicating.

androoo
07-31-14, 03:52 AM
to be honest, i would find being unable to cope with ad/hd being more of a reason to do substance cuz in some ways it appeal as self-medication. not sure if i put it that right way

I understand what you're saying.. if i wasn't a dad now, with possibly the cutest little boy ever (all parents say that lol), i would be using drugs or some sort and ******* my relationship away..

The urge is there atm, just that weekend escape... but its not worth it anymore

Abi
07-31-14, 05:48 AM
Awww

What a cute infant

Welcome to ADDF, androo :)

sarahsweets
07-31-14, 07:07 AM
It helped me kick alcohol

androoo
08-01-14, 07:00 PM
It helped me kick alcohol

that'll be a bonus too.. the urge to drink is there every evening, i resist until friday and wake up saturday morning realising the disruption to my normal sleep is sooo not worth it anymore.

androoo
08-01-14, 07:01 PM
Awww

What a cute infant

Welcome to ADDF, androo :)

thank you and thank you :)
it's nice to be able to read through all the posts and realise that i'm not the only one!

Northw3stN1nja
08-02-14, 04:22 PM
I was not diagnosed and treated for ADHD until I was an adult. From my later years of adolescence to my early stages of adulthood I was quite the stoner. I noticed after being medicated that my urge to use cannabis began to slowly disappear. I think in a way I was self medicating and trying to calm myself down all those years I was puffing smoke away.

Laserbeak
08-29-14, 12:39 AM
I think getting on a permanent med schedule to deal with problems you may have been self-medicating for in the past is generally a good thing; however, for temporary pain relief or something it's probably better to avoid opiates for short-term use, especially if they were what you were addicted to, unless you really need them. But your mileage may vary.

Prettyattimes
09-23-14, 11:43 AM
I don't think it does, at least not for me personally.
However, I do find that smoking a bowl does help me unwind and it helps ease some of side effects of Adderall, mainly loss of appetite and insomnia. At the same time I enjoy a bowl off my meds as well.

HADDaball
09-23-14, 05:15 PM
I think the meds help with impulse control.

Like the bit upstairs that says 'no don't do that - you don't need it' works better.

It also helps the with getting bored easy.

You know kids can do naughty things when they're bored..

Pilgrim
09-24-14, 07:23 AM
I use to drink a lot , smoked pot and did other drugs. I was definitely self-medicating.
The worst thing about it is you get messed up and lose that sense of yourself and pride.
That was the only reason that I was scared of taking Dex.

DichotOhMy
09-25-14, 04:40 PM
Count me in with stimulants being the only thing effective in curbing the actual wanting and desire to use alcohol or drugs. This isn't an opinion that is endorsed by AA/NA, but more a biological issue in regulating dopamine at a level I need it at - dopamine being the "wanting" neurotransmitter as opposed to the common belief that it's the "pleasure" neurotransmitter.