View Full Version : I didn't understand the importance of learning until my senior year

TurtleBrain
07-27-14, 09:03 AM
After taking my "senior seminar" course for my previous major (before changing it recently), I soon realized that I didn't retain much at all of what I had learned in all the years I had in college. Although that didn't really surprise me too much because back in my freshman year I did flunk college math because I forgot all the algebra I had learned in high school.

I didn't quite finish college yet though, I was going to do an internship, but I changed my major. My first major was business (then later I changed it and then I moved, so it changed again), so with six more credits of business and a credit in a Liberal Studies seminar course I'll be able to graduate by the end of this year. Unlike my "senior seminar" course I had, I've been told that I have to write a 10-page paper relating to what I learned from the two of the majors I've studied. I'm not sure if that's all it's about, but if that's all it is, I'd probably bs through it like I do with every paper I do... I look over textbooks and peered-review journals (using EbscoHost), try to make sense of the information there, then just regurgitate things in my own words.... but I digress...:rolleyes:

Back to my main point, it's almost as if I didn't learn anything in college. For example, I did take a course called "research methods", but it wasn't until "senior seminar" that I realized that I should have already learned by then the steps to doing research and the first one is "pick a topic". Sure, I knew the first one, but I forgot everything else from there... Interestingly, the reason why I also flunked other courses in my first year of college was because I didn't know how to write papers. :rolleyes:

See what I mean? Like seriously, the whole time I've been in college, I had thought the whole point was to just get a stupid degree so I could get a good paying job. Of course, it wouldn't really help in a job interview if I never worked before (thus no work experience) and don't remember what I learned in college either.

I've only been to one job interview and all I did was ramble, mostly about what I think I can't do or how chaoitic my life seems. All I remember is being starred at as if wondering if I was done talking. I wasn't really sure if I was done talking and I also forgot what the job was about (pretzels?).. :giggle:

I tend to talk way too much and my conversations tend to become one-sided I tend to skew the conversation toward my own narrow interests. It's no wonder I have a hard time keeping close friends. Also, I feel like I've lived under a rock my whole life because I don't know much about the outside world because of my narrow interests, so I find it hard to relate to what other people are interested in talking about. Sometimes it's laughable how the only point of reference I have to what someone is saying is because "I heard about that once on a youtube video before" and that's pretty much all I have to say about it.

Okay, I went on at least two tangents in this post, but that brings me back to my main point. I don't really seem to retain anything I learn, it's more like I'm only looking to be entertained by random trivial information I find interesting at the moment.

What I ultimately learned in my senior seminar course was that the knowledge I was suppose to have learned should have been put into practical use so I wouldn't forget it. I don't seem to be good at putting information into practical use, that is something that would be practical for a job. Geesh, it's more like I'm practical at doing nothing.

Chicky75
07-29-14, 04:11 PM
If I understand your main point correctly, you have a problem remembering info you've learned and putting it into practical use?

I have a similar problem. I'm going for neuropsych testing in a couple of weeks that I hope will give me more insight into my learning style, but I think I'm a very experiential learner. So nothing really sinks in and makes sense to me until I'm shown how to do it or use it in a real situation, if that makes sense. Maybe you have a similar problem and doing an internship or work study would help you retain things more?

addthree
07-29-14, 05:33 PM
Are they asking for facts or purely subjective rhetoric?