View Full Version : turning anxiety into a positive force..

daveddd
07-27-14, 10:20 AM
this was a compliment i got from my p-doc friday

he said he was impressed how well i "title"

so i started to think of what my anxiety disorder was

having anxiety at any level is not a disorder right? all humans (maybe animals) have it

so its just what i do with the anxiety?

Conman
07-27-14, 01:47 PM
given what you said, its probably when a person has lots of problems coping with anxiety or let themselves be consumed by it that it becomes a disorder

eclectic beagle
07-27-14, 04:59 PM
I've heard that anxiety at a certain level can help with performance/motivation, but after a point it's just impairing. It really hasn't done any favors for me, to be honest.

So I guess it's useful to an extent, but haven't personally experienced that "sweet spot".

daveddd
07-27-14, 05:02 PM
I've heard that anxiety at a certain level can help with performance/motivation, but after a point it's just impairing. It really hasn't done any favors for me, to be honest.

So I guess it's useful to an extent.

do you think the instinctual feeling of anxiety is what causes the problems?

or the learned coping mechanisms on the cognitive side (yes, this is emotional regulation) is the problems

I'm asking, not inferring , I'm on a journey now, to figure this stuff out in my own head

eclectic beagle
07-27-14, 05:06 PM
do you think the instinctual feeling of anxiety is what causes the problems?

or the learned coping mechanisms on the cognitive side (yes, this is emotional regulation) is the problems

I'm asking, not inferring , I'm on a journey now, to figure this stuff out in my own head

Maybe both? Anxiety (instinctual?, but guess it could also be learned) just reinforces avoidance patterns (cognitive), well, for me. Have made really good strides this past year, but it's still pretty difficult changing automatic responses in the moment.

Conman
07-27-14, 05:35 PM
well given the majority of 'normal' people (i dont want to use NT cuz i dont know if that term applies for anxiety disorder spectrum as well) seem to be fine and probably have problems with anxiety only on top of large amounts of stress, that's typical.

something with people who are prone to anxiety issues or diagnosed with the disorders have something inherently different with how they process anxiety or perceive things maybe? you mentioning it being instinctual made me think about it siberian traveler

eclectic beagle
07-27-14, 06:52 PM
Yeah, "prone" can be a loaded word for me, though. For instance, not everyone with an ocd (which is linked with anxiety) genetic predisposition gets the disorder, nor does the absence of it mean the person doesn't.

It might be that the effects of stress are downplayed, by the individual or whatever societal lens people tend to use. Unusually stressful (and suggestive to a developing mind) environments could lead to brain changes over time, with or without genetic susceptibility, and like you said might change how someone processes anxiety. I wonder if con men typically have anxiety.

daveddd
07-27-14, 06:59 PM
Yeah, "prone" can be a loaded word for me, though. For instance, not everyone with an ocd (which is linked with anxiety) genetic predisposition gets the disorder, nor does the absence of it mean the person doesn't.

It might be that the effects of stress are downplayed, by the individual or whatever societal lens people tend to use. Unusually stressful (and suggestive to a developing mind) environments could lead to brain changes over time, with or without genetic susceptibility, and like you said might change how someone processes anxiety. I wonder if con men typically have anxiety.

diathesis/stress model

the higher the diathesis the lower the stress required for activation

the higher the stress the lower the diathesis

Conman
07-27-14, 07:01 PM
successful con men are typically antisocial personality disorders who feel no empathy, i read somewhere APD without treatment typically become conmen or killers. but that's a different discussion for another time and place.

i was diagnosed with some anxiety disorder at the time i was diagnosed with ADHD-C. i never really noticed it so it was never addressed for me in therapy. around senior year of highschool thru now it's progressively gotten worse with me becoming a bit more paranoid about things even if i dont show it, especially at home for some reason. i had my first presumable panic attack in march but it lasted a couple of hours total but peaking effects for 10 minutes. i get anxious about something alot now, and i cant stand my driving anxiety

daveddd
07-27-14, 07:18 PM
successful con men are typically antisocial personality disorders who feel no empathy, i read somewhere APD without treatment typically become conmen or killers. but that's a different discussion for another time and place.

i was diagnosed with some anxiety disorder at the time i was diagnosed with ADHD-C. i never really noticed it so it was never addressed for me in therapy. around senior year of highschool thru now it's progressively gotten worse with me becoming a bit more paranoid about things even if i dont show it, especially at home for some reason. i had my first presumable panic attack in march but it lasted a couple of hours total but peaking effects for 10 minutes. i get anxious about something alot now, and i cant stand my driving anxiety

my anxiety has gotten worse as i got older to

looking back (for me) now, I'm having trouble telling wether my anxiety was better earlier or my dissociation skills were better

Conman
07-27-14, 07:25 PM
dissociation skills? i never understood dissociation really, ive only experienced it thru intentional and direct routes (dissociative substances) and it was...interesting to say the least. not negative but not particularly positive either.

but paranoia is really bothering me. it isnt right to be paranoid like this. i feel most of it at home cuz im always ALWAYS paranoid somebody is out to get me or grab my foot when im on the stairs or any sound i hear when theres nobody in the house i need to grab my knife ready to deal with whatevers in the house. never been proven right of course but it isnt right. at school i experience more social paranoia and that's still a less common thing for me

daveddd
07-27-14, 07:27 PM
dissociation skills? i never understood dissociation really, ive only experienced it thru intentional and direct routes (dissociative substances) and it was...interesting to say the least. not negative but not particularly positive either.

but paranoia is really bothering me. it isnt right to be paranoid like this. i feel most of it at home cuz im always ALWAYS paranoid somebody is out to get me or grab my foot when im on the stairs or any sound i hear when theres nobody in the house i need to grab my knife ready to deal with whatevers in the house. never been proven right of course but it isnt right. at school i experience more social paranoia and that's still a less common thing for me

for me (don't know whats going on with you) dissociation skills are anything physical or mental that pushes unbearable feelings from consciousness

not sure about the paranoia thing , have any pros given a theory on that?

daveddd
07-27-14, 07:29 PM
i know for me, that paranoia use to mean my adderal dose was too high

Conman
07-27-14, 07:36 PM
my adderall dose is lower by a little bit than it normally is due to other reasons.

my dissociation skills in your definition then is me just finding ways to be distracted or very focused on something. im usually able to stay focused with schoolwork unless it's something powerful in my head that stops me from that and i need to find another outlet. i never confront it head on because i dont like whats in my head. and it apparently doesnt like me either.

im getting a new doctor soon and hoping theyll prescribe me a benzo, no more antidepressants for me i dont trust them anymore

daveddd
07-27-14, 07:38 PM
i consider my crazy "hyper focus" a dissociation skill and partly learned self regulation

Conman
07-28-14, 10:01 PM
hyperfocus on something cool or positive/good is fun. sometimes just watch a random documentary and it turns out to be real cool

Fuzzy12
07-29-14, 04:22 AM
Anxiety in small doses can be motivational but even though it might get things done, it takes a huge toll. Too much anxiety paralyses me but even long lasting low level anxiety is draining and uggh..it's just so god damn unpleasant.

Conman
07-30-14, 10:48 PM
anxiety has never been motivational for me. just to be keeanu reeves here

being pressed for time kind of stress for me can be motivational (mainly cranking out final lab papers in about 2 days). anxiety serves as either a powerful nuisance or as a precursor to some bad depression thoughts for moi