View Full Version : I want to stop taking Vyvanse.

jackieisapunk
07-28-14, 05:52 PM
Soooo, I am 24 years old and have been prescribed Vyvanse for about 2 years now...and of course as everyone says, it's all great in the beginning.. but now I feel like it's more detrimental to my health than beneficial. I'm now taking 60 mg everyday with 1 or 2 day breaks in between.

Before I started taking it I will admit that I drank pretty often, but usually on the weekends, now once it wears off I feel a STRONG urge to drink because it helps with the anxiety I get after it starts wearing off, but once I've started drinking it's like I can't stop, and then I usually pass out after eating dinner.

I also used to smoke cigarettes before I started taking Vyvanse, but was mostly a social smoker, but now I crave them after I get off work every day. I'm definitely able to curb my smoking habits better than before, but I'm afraid I will start to get worse again. My bf and I usually share a pack that lasts a week, but I really don't want to make this an ongoing habit.

I also haven't been going to the gym 3x a week like I did BEFORE even taking Vyvanse or Adderall (which I also took for a short period of time). There was a period of time where I was taking and able to go to the gym regularly, but now Idk what the deal is, it's like I can't make myself go unless I just took it and the "conditions" are right, so I'm totally out of shape too. I'll go once or twice a week and then take a week or 2 break and I just haven't been able to set a normal habit of going anymore.

Lastly, I am pretty sure with all these issues combined, I've been having skin issues. I feel like I bruise more easily and that any little mosquito bites or scratches just don't seem to heal as quickly as they used to, and I developed a little itchy rash that didn't go away unless I put some cortizone on it.

I have tried taking extended breaks from Vyvanse and self-medicating with coffee/caffeine pills (which I hate) and/or nootropics (Tyrosine and Alpha GPC usually) which work alright...but usually after a week or so I begin to get really, really depressed. I feel impatient and irritable and have absolutely no motivation to do anything. If it weren't for these issues, I think I would have stopped taking it when I took a break the first time, but I always feel "right" when I am medicated, and I then I start taking it every day again.

Yes, I know I need to go to the doctor and I will, however the anxiety I feel everyday after I get home from works combined with the drinking has been preventing me from doing the things I need to do. Today I am trying my best to fight the urge to open a beer or make myself a drink by writing this post, which makes me feel pathetic because this didn't used to be an issue.

I just would really love some advice on how to properly ween myself off and how I can live "normally" without being medicated, I really feel like if I could stop taking it then I would be able to manage my drinking habits, because on the days I don't take it I don't feel the urge to drink at all really. And then I would stop smoking as much, and I would probably be able to go to the gym regularly again.

Anyways, thank you for reading if you've gotten this far, and any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. :)

silivrentoliel
07-28-14, 08:09 PM
for me, ADHD meds are as essential as my glasses. There is no "normal" without them

sarahsweets
08-02-14, 03:45 AM
Are you saying that pre -meds you didn't have a smoking or drinking problem?

dvdnvwls
08-02-14, 04:09 AM
If you are legitimately prescribed Vyvanse for ADHD, your chance of being "normal" without it approaches zero. You're taking Vyvanse to make you normal. (Or at least closer to it)

WildHost0
08-21-14, 12:57 PM
I can totaly relate to how you feel about vyvance and adderall. Its such a conflict of interest wheather or not to take them becuase like you say, sometimes the side effects are worse than its intended purpose.
Yesterday i was having the worst nausea and anxiety due to taking more than i usually do of viyvance. All i could do was lay in my bed and try not to think about my racing heart or the gruesomly sour feeling in my stomach. It took me close to 3 hours to summon up the willpower to get up, put on some shoes, and go outside.
I decided to go for a mile long jog around the neighborhood, and by the time i got back WAAALA i felt back to my normal self again, with the lingering enhanced concentration due to the viyvance. If you get to place of feeling kinda ****y again i would highly recomend doing a quick 10-15 minute cardio exercise which gets the heart pumping and allows your body to sweat out any excess physical or mental energy which would otherwise be festering stagnent bottled up inside of you.
I also struggle with the nicotine and alchohol abuse and i find that exercise is the most surefire remedy to block out thier temptation.

Ciggaretts and Alchohol are a poor subsitute compared to the natural high of exercise. Once we can get into the habit of reaching for our running shoes instead of another pack of cigarettes, we will find ourselves in a much happier and content place in life.
Its also nice that these stimulants give you an extra boost while you work out:) I fell like i go into beast mode after a couple pills of Adderall haha
Good luck i appreciate your honesty it helps me know that there are other brave souls who are trying to figure out what delicate combination of drugs, lifestyle, and motivation will propell them into the life of thier dreams <3