View Full Version : Trichotillomania - repetitive stress injury?! WTF?

Stevuke79
07-28-14, 11:05 PM
I'm not even sure what there is to discuss about this. But I've been picking my hair like crazy lately and all of a sudden I notice my finger hurts like hell - like I've been putting too much strain on the bone itself. And I recall that I've felt this before but never really knew what it was. But then it dawned on me!!

I asked my wife who is a nurse if that makes sense and she said absolutely!!
:doh::doh::doh:
(now I really want to pick my hair but can't.. huts too much :()

Conman
07-28-14, 11:18 PM
trichotillomania for me presents as eyelash twisting/pulling off. but that seems to bother me not out of stress but like nail biting for me, im doing one or the other. usually cuz i 'feel' something in the eyelashes that isnt there and i start pulling them

Bethylphenidate
07-29-14, 11:02 AM
I'm not even sure what there is to discuss about this.

LOL. Not very much! But still the same, I'm chiming in to say "It sucks!"

Resisting... the... urge... to... grab... tweezers....

Fuzzy12
07-29-14, 11:07 AM
I find plucking my hair is very soothing, something to focus on and you can see results immediately..:yes:

My hair/eyebrows plucking is under control though, scratching my skin is probably closer to what you are describing. I haven't strained my fingers yet doing it but the skin on my face isn't happy at all...:(

Conman
07-29-14, 02:08 PM
my eyelashes are also a little longer than average, maybe cuz of longer lashes im more inclined to sense something in them or them stuck to each other, hence why i feel the urge to pull or twist them

Bethylphenidate
07-31-14, 08:51 AM
I find plucking my hair is very soothing, something to focus on and you can see results immediately..:yes:

Agreed. I feel like I'm pulling weeds. It's relaxing, and unwanted hair is removed. I get into "hyperfocus" mode.

Unfortunately, scabs aren't fashionable anywhere. :p

Stevuke79
07-31-14, 12:20 PM
On tuesday I couldn't take it. I needed to sit in my home office and work all day but I couldn't stop picking.

After a haircut I don't pick until it gets longer, .. but I don't have time to go until Friday. A normal person could pick up and go but I know if I go off task I will NEVER get back on task,.. and I was on too much of a roll to give it up. So I went into the bathroom, took a scissors and trimmed up the sides of my hair. No more meetings this week so it doesn't matter that it's uneven.. and Friday (now that's tomorrow) it will all be fine anyway.