View Full Version : Watches for Kids with ADHD

sanitynow
07-29-14, 01:26 PM
Has anyone had any luck with using watches (just regular wrist watches with alarm functions) to remind your kids to pay attention in class or to do certain tasks? If so, which watches have you tried?

Thank you!

Rainbows
07-29-14, 02:09 PM
No, but Im actually getting a waterproof watch hoping with the Alarm when hes at home and other places.

How would you set the Alarm? Like a hourly reminder? Its a really good idea, keep posting, this could help some kids!! Oh I just looked it up, is it the one called Watchminder where it vibrates? Well, count me in even if its not that watch.

Rainbows
07-29-14, 02:12 PM
**Ooops Im sorry- you said the regular wrist watch with alarm functions!** Im still not awake yet! Either way,as I mentioned Im in and Ill let you know how it works for my son, he's 8. Time to go watch shopping this week :)

sanitynow
07-29-14, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Rainbows! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. We're definitely going to try a watch but I want to get a "regular" watch - otherwise I don't think my kids will wear it. I'm looking for one that has the following features - waterproof, vibrating alarm and repeat countown timer. I can find a few men's watches that meet my checklist but I'm certain they'll be too big. I'll keep you posted.

Rainbows
07-29-14, 06:40 PM
Your welcome! If you type in Watchminder, they have black and white kids size I believe. I am going to order it, it looks like a smaller waterproof version of a mans watch. It even leaves a message after it vibrates " Get On task" or something. I dont know how "waterproof" it actually is though.

Thank you, Ill let you know what I find as well! Good luck

Ms. Mango
07-29-14, 06:59 PM
How would an alarm help a kid pay attention in class?

My DS uses his iPod to set timers for various tasks, sometimes he even pays attention to the alarms--usually he just shuts them off and keeps doing whatever he was doing.

sanitynow
07-30-14, 03:19 PM
Ms. Mango -

I'm thinking a watch that vibrates at intervals of 10 minutes or so would pull my son back to reality if he's daydreaming and remind him to focus.

Rainbows
07-30-14, 04:16 PM
Ms. Mango, Im not sure if it would help or not, but Im willing to try anyways. But, I see your point about your son turning them off. Good point

dvdnvwls
07-30-14, 08:26 PM
Has anyone had any luck with using watches (just regular wrist watches with alarm functions) to remind your kids to pay attention in class or to do certain tasks? If so, which watches have you tried?

Thank you!

My experience, some time ago, was that ordinary watches had one or at most two alarm times available to set. That would mean (for the majority of watches I saw) re-setting the alarm after every single task! In other words, more of a bother than a help, and easily allowing its owner to forget to set it each time, forget to get up in the morning, etc.

Maybe the latest watches have functions more suitable.

Added note: Marketing departments everywhere know that if they want to sell to more men all they need to do is add control buttons or more functions. :) So expect to buy a man's watch in a small-ish size.

megatuxracer
08-10-14, 04:19 PM
The thing that works for me is, surprisingly enough, my cell phone. The iPhone in particular. Because I use it for so many tasks and check it frequently, when I activate it, the time is staring at me in giant numbers. Same with my computer at work and home. I get in the habit of checking it frequently. It does wonders.

This may not be a good concrete solution for your child, but if there is something that has other uses for your child and forces one to see the time, this could be a way of putting it in front of your child frequently.

It's not perfect, but it does the job.