View Full Version : David Keirsey Argues the Medication Approach

cristibear
04-04-05, 01:59 PM
keirsey dot com/druggedobedience.html

Here's a rather wordy article regarding kids and medication. Given the reference to corporal punishment in the school I'm guessing it's not a fresh article but it does have some good points. Unfortunately, as I've found with articles against medicating, the alternative they offer isn't a fail-safe cure either and I've usually tried it already. You can't just send them "away". When they return they've missed any instruction and fall behind then become frustrated and the cycle begins again. When Christopher is sent out of the classroom he sits in the Principal's office and does his work. Once he's placed in a far corner with no distraction and no one to entertain he suddenly understands things better, completes his work (and neatly) and appears to behave like a normal human being (until he gets home and then what common sense he summoned during the day accidentally goes home with another child). In every conversation, save the first couple maybe, that I have had with his teacher her frustration is quite evident. I know the tone of her voice because I sound the same way when I have to use every ounce of self control to keep from screaming at the top of my lungs and speak in a normal voice. My son has told me on several occasions that his teacher has yelled at him and I have NO problem believing it, however I do have a problem with her lack of professionalism. I'm allowed to yell at him, I have at least 3 dozen stretch marks among other things that earned me that right ~weg~.

I wonder if independent study in elementary schools will ever be an option. These kids are smarter than most of the "well-behaved students-of-the-month" they just lingered too long in the "spaz section" in the gene pool. I've noticed that by the time my kids actually do or say something ingenious I miss it because I've spent the past hour trying to silence the "human sound effect machine". Sometimes I wonder what would happen if he sat perfectly still for 10 minutes with not one sound or movement. Then the images of spontaneous combustion quelled any desire to experiment further.