View Full Version : Eating on Adderall

JessMom23
07-31-14, 01:07 PM
Hello, my son, who is 6 was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago. The doctors have put him on Adderall and at first, we had no problems getting him to eat. Now, he won't eat anything. Last night for dinner, he had 3 bites of his cheeseburger and that's it. For breakfast this morning he had half a yogurt. He never eats lunch at daycare. In the last 3 months he has lost about 12 pounds. My son is very skinny to begin with and now he looks like I am starving him when I am not. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to eat?

ccom5100
07-31-14, 07:20 PM
Do you give him his meds after breakfast? I know that helps with my older ds. He has lost weight over the summer because he sleeps late and I have to give him his meds before I leave for work and by the time he gets up, he is not hungry at breakfast. School starts next week, so we'll be back on a schedule and hopefully he'll start gaining weight.

Ms. Mango
07-31-14, 07:43 PM
Yikes, can't imagine school starting next week! Anyhow, I agree with getting some food in your DS before giving am meds. The other thing you can do is let your DS eat dinner later if he isn't hungry when you usually serve dinner.

My DS was on Adderall XR for a bit and we found that he skipped lunch and picked at dinner, but was ravenously hungry at 9 PM. Well, we let him eat then. Not ideal, but at least he wanted to eat.

ccom5100
08-01-14, 11:34 AM
Yikes, can't imagine school starting next week!

We end in May and begin again in August. When we lived on the East coast, we ended in June and began again in September.

sarahsweets
08-02-14, 03:19 AM
What worked for me with my son was high calorie snacks. Not necessarily junk but I used to make him milkshakes with full fat ice cream and protein powder, used full fat milk and yogurt and his shacks were things like peanut butter toast.

Rainbows
08-02-14, 01:58 PM
When my son was on Adderall XR he had trouble eating and late at night is when he wanted to eat a full course meal. He also lost weight. I agree with the others, give the meds after Breakfast, stick with high calorie foods and foods he likes. Good luck

Rainbows
08-02-14, 02:00 PM
Oh meant to add, Ms. Mango is right, let him eat later if possible.