View Full Version : The slow torture commonly known as "school"

Wedding42515
08-03-14, 06:27 PM
I'm a student. I am not good at it. I'm smart, very smart, but a terrible student. But, it's what I need to do to get where I want to be.

It's almost the end of classes, and as usual I am behind and scrambling. I feel guilty and stressed, and I'm frustrated to tears. At the same time, if I fail I'll feel worse.

Ugh

Eaaqas
08-04-14, 12:11 PM
Hey wedding, I know EXACTLY how you feel. It took me getting my diagnosis to be able to work through some of the problems.

Just remember that us with ADHD are GREAT at cramming -- it seems to be a coping mechanism that a lot of us develop naturally. :)

If you want any advice PM me. I've taken some time to think of some mechanisms that have helped me not completely fail out of school. I'd love to help if you have any questions :). I'm in my last semester and applying to Economics PhD programs! :)

vpilar
08-04-14, 01:09 PM
I'm a student. I am not good at it. I'm smart, very smart, but a terrible student. But, it's what I need to do to get where I want to be.

It's almost the end of classes, and as usual I am behind and scrambling. I feel guilty and stressed, and I'm frustrated to tears. At the same time, if I fail I'll feel worse.

Ugh

Try to get around it in a way. Try to get yourself motivated... Tell yourself you must do it! and find a way to do it. Whatever works for you, it could be different form what works for others.
Take some time, and think about what should be done, and what are the reasons that are preventing you to get things done and what would be the best solution for getting something out of what you can do.
Considering this combination (what should be done, and what you can't do), make a plan. The plan could include both things that should be done in the future, to prevent this to happen again, and the lists of immediate actions required to get things done in the limited timeline!

The immediate solution could be anything..something like only reading some parts of each text book... or just trying to write summaries as fast as you can and then focus on summaries... .. you could sit with colleagues...Drink coffee or whatever! ... you could Walk while studying or lie down or whatever! just change something and move and move till you see it's working... Talk to your instructors... Do a text book exercise hundreds of time till you learn it! ...
The principle should be this: you can do it! maybe in a different way! maybe it takes more time! But there is a way to do it!

finallyfound10
08-07-14, 09:23 PM
Youv'e come to the right place! There are a lot of very, very smart people here who struggle with school. My advice:

-Get an official diagnosis and get on meds. If money is an issue, there are sliding scale medical clinics and ways to get meds from the manufacturer (I do.)

-Get accommodations for tests and other assignments from your student support office or whatever it's called at your school.

-Find a therapist to talk to. It is so helpful to get it all out and you learn so much about yourself! There are ones who go by income as well.

Good luck!!

Wedding42515
08-09-14, 02:28 PM
I am on meds and diagnosed now, and I've informed my professor. It just feels like I do this every time. Get behind, panic, fight, barely pass

finallyfound10
08-09-14, 10:16 PM
I am on meds and diagnosed now, and I've informed my professor. It just feels like I do this every time. Get behind, panic, fight, barely pass

I know this feeling all too well. Do you have official accommodations from the school that can truly help level the playing field for you and make your life easier? Can you get extended time on exams, assignments, projects, access to tutors, etc?

kittyb21
08-10-14, 04:22 AM
The slow torture commonly known as "school"

Now at 35 I am reliving it through my children. I hope you can find some effective coping mechanisms, action plans, therapies etc.

Love

Darkneko
08-11-14, 04:40 AM
That was me before I got an official diagnoses and meds. Its about getting the right techniques so for me its using coloured markers, making to do lists and taking short walks around the uni when I start to get too restless. Schools have available help too that might be worth a look. Might be worth looking at a diagnoses...if school is that difficult, might be a good reason.

HADDaball
08-11-14, 07:11 AM
The slow torture commonly known as "school" Well put, last minute adrenaline junkie...

You may be surprised how well you can do if you start early and aim to finish early...

Wedding42515
08-11-14, 08:43 AM
I can do very well, I know it. I'm a smart, capable person. I also take online courses, which is 100x harder for me (okay, maybe not 100, but a lot). I could probably handle going to class and participating in a small group setting much better than reading a few chapters and writing a discussion post. Even my posts on here are short, lol.

Eli-225
08-11-14, 10:01 AM
guys do you know if coffee/coke has significant effects on the meds one takes for add. I drink coffee at lunch and I want to know if it kills the meds job.

Wedding42515
08-11-14, 10:46 AM
guys do you know if coffee/coke has significant effects on the meds one takes for add. I drink coffee at lunch and I want to know if it kills the meds job.

I'm not a psychiatrist, so this is not medical advice, but I doubt it. Caffeine affects adenosine receptors and most ADD medications increase dopamine levels. Two different neurotransmitters.

finallyfound10
08-11-14, 08:34 PM
I also take online courses, which is 100x harder for me (okay, maybe not 100, but a lot). I could probably handle going to class and participating in a small group setting much better than reading a few chapters and writing a discussion post.

Props to you for doing online classes! I am not good at online classes. Maybe I'm just too old. LOL!!

mrstardust_1
08-12-14, 06:23 PM
My college gives me 4 extra days to complete quizzes and assignments. All you need to do is talk to your schools student disability department.

HADDaball
08-13-14, 02:37 AM
I remember school being easy or boring. The best time of day was lunch.

Now, I see that people that did well were bright and also put in solid effort over the years.

Doing that with boring subjects can be tiring. But to get pieces of paper that open doors, it needs to be done.

Percuriosa
08-27-14, 01:21 PM

Yup, that's exactly what I go through every term in college. It's an awful routine I wish I could get out of. It takes so much effort not to fall behind and even more effort to catch up.

Little Missy
08-27-14, 01:41 PM
In college I made it a point to not let anyone or anything get in the way of what I was working on in order for me never to get behind. A good shrink I had back then reminded me always to balance the required classes with classes I really enjoyed so that I wouldn't get bogged down with the dull classes. I also never took more than 16 credits per semester and sometimes less so I could take a few classes in the summer to catch up if I needed to.
I took so many classes I unknowingly ended up with a double major and double minor with graduated with highest honours. It was alot of work but I took five years instead of four so I could do my very best. You can do it!

apoeticdevice
08-27-14, 10:55 PM
Does your Uni offer a Disability Dept? If so, some schools do offer some benefits/help like more time on projects and exams.

Goodluck.