View Full Version : How to Start an Indoor Herb Garden

Unmanagable
08-03-14, 07:54 PM
This link has a great visual with instructions and tips. A great way to slowly introduce yourself to gardening on a smaller, less intimidating scale:

http://www.fix.com/blog/grow-a-thriving-indoor-herb-garden/

SB_UK
08-14-14, 11:58 AM
This link has a great visual with instructions and tips. A great way to slowly introduce yourself to gardening on a smaller, less intimidating scale:

http://www.fix.com/blog/grow-a-thriving-indoor-herb-garden/

I've started with sprouting.

Just add water to seeds moring + night, drain - and 4 days later food.

Unmanagable
08-14-14, 05:02 PM
I love sprouting!! It satisfies that insatiable need for a more immediate reward of your labors. :)

Fermenting is my next fun kitchen experimentation. I've done a jar of sauerkraut, so far, that was mighty tasty, but I got it too salty, so I have to add extra chopped cukes or other veggies when I eat it. Gonna make some more with some gorgeous purple cabbage soon.

Kombucha tea is on my list of things to make, too. I was gifted a few of the scobys recently. They are cool to watch. One of them looks like it has a smiley face on it's side. :) I love the idea of blending my own flavors and adding the tinctures that benefit my body, as well.

I've been fortunate in my community travels to cross paths with a master herbalist of 20+ years who has invited me to spend time in her apothecary learning to make tinctures, etc. I can't wait to soak up that knowledge and energy! She also has one of those geometric shaped dome-like greenhouses. GAH!!!! So much coolness and beneficial stuff to learn and absorb and so little time.

Laserbeak
08-24-14, 06:22 PM
I love growing plants too! Herbs are great but my real passion is Orchids and Carnivorous Plants (Venus Flytraps, Pitcher Plants, etc.)

I also grow some grasses (wheat, corn, rye, etc.) for my cats to eat. They're indoor cats since I live in the city.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 01:34 PM
I love sprouting!! It satisfies that insatiable need for a more immediate reward of your labors. :)

Fermenting is my next fun kitchen experimentation. I've done a jar of sauerkraut, so far, that was mighty tasty, but I got it too salty, so I have to add extra chopped cukes or other veggies when I eat it. Gonna make some more with some gorgeous purple cabbage soon.

Kombucha tea is on my list of things to make, too. I was gifted a few of the scobys recently. They are cool to watch. One of them looks like it has a smiley face on it's side. :) I love the idea of blending my own flavors and adding the tinctures that benefit my body, as well.

I've been fortunate in my community travels to cross paths with a master herbalist of 20+ years who has invited me to spend time in her apothecary learning to make tinctures, etc. I can't wait to soak up that knowledge and energy! She also has one of those geometric shaped dome-like greenhouses. GAH!!!! So much coolness and beneficial stuff to learn and absorb and so little time.

t - 1 week to kimchi

starter culture present.