View Full Version : Do I have ADD or am I suffering from multiple disorders?

Jacklynlovett
08-05-14, 03:24 AM
Omg where do I start!! Okay so as a baby, I was very quiet and super polite. I still am. I guess a lot of the things that I've gone through has made my ADD worse? And it doesn't help that my parents think everything is all in my head or that I'm coming up with excuses. I've just always felt different. I tend to do things oddly. I make the simplest of mistakes, I am very clumsy, and my mind is always thinking of off topics things. I am very shy, but I enjoy talking about weird things like aliens, and the world and anything deep pretty much. But when it comes to small talk I just freeze up. I don't have a lot of close friends. Most of the time it is because someone came up to me. I'm okay looking and I guess pretty so it helps because I don't always have to try so hard to talk to people. But when I do it's very awkward. I now have a two year old daughter and I'm still living at my moms house. I'm trying to finish. School at the moment but it's taking way longer than expected...talk about 5 years!!!! I should have gotten a masters by now -.- I feel very very weak as a mother. I love my daughter with ALL my heart but I don't feel like I can support her. I feel like I keep failing. I often thought about suicide but then I immediately feel selfish because if I killed myself my daughter would only have her grandparents. So I'm stuck in the horrible mind set. I just can't do normal anything!! I find myself to be very deep and sometimes more intelligent than everyone around me, but then when it comes to school I just blank out and feel overwhelmed. I just want the most out of life but I feel like I keep messing it up. I feel lifeless :/

drdistracto
08-08-14, 03:33 PM
Omg where do I start!! Okay so as a baby, I was very quiet and super polite. I still am. I guess a lot of the things that I've gone through has made my ADD worse? And it doesn't help that my parents think everything is all in my head or that I'm coming up with excuses.

There's definitely something going on besides ADD. When parents tell their child that she (or he) is just imagining things or making excuses when the child is not, it really screws the child up psychologically. If they're doing it now, I would assume they have been doing it your entire life. The fact that you were very quiet and super polite as a baby I think is a potential red flag as well. Keep in mind that I am not a mental health professional.

I think you would benefit from talking to a therapist or other mental health person. Once you find someone you're comfortable with, start talking about your childhood and your interactions with your parents and other family members. Here's something that might help too. It's 9 questions that are intended to help you determine if your parents are toxic:
http://draletta.typepad.com/explorewhatsnext/2010/12/9-questions-to-ask-to-find-out-if-your-parents-toxic.html

If it turns out that you do have toxic parents, you must get away from them in order to get better.

Lunacie
08-08-14, 05:02 PM
Only a psychologist or psychiatrist can tell you what you actually have,
but I can tell you that there is a lot of overlapping symptoms between several disorders,
and that anxiety and depression are very common disorders alongside ADHD.

It's very hard being a single parent and going to school at the same time.
Even people without any mental disorders find that difficult. Bravo to you!
Getting a diagnosis, therapy and meds could be very helpful. Please check it out.

daveddd
08-08-14, 09:21 PM
most people with adhd will have a broad dimensional range of symptoms

a little of everything

sarahsweets
08-09-14, 05:59 AM
I would strive to get the depression and anxiety taken care of first and then attack the adhd.

daveddd
08-09-14, 08:36 AM
I would strive to get the depression and anxiety taken care of first and then attack the adhd.

this may seem logical

but it seems , with a good portion of us , this would only be attempting to treat symptoms

sometimes that can be tough if the cause is left unaddressed

poor emotional regulation is the best predictor for anxiety/depression type stuff

addressing the whole may be another option