View Full Version : Why are people like that? Improper usage...

betterthanwords
08-05-14, 06:50 AM
So I put 'ritalina' (it has the 'a' in Portuguese) on the search box on some social sites, and I was appalled by how many people buy / take it without prescription. Don't they know it's dangerous to take the medicine without being prescribed by a doctor?

Some of the tweets:

"I need drugs, does anyone sell it? I pay a good money for ritalin"
"On Monday I need caffeine or ritalin to do stuff"
"Hi, how did you get it? I've even looking for this medicine for a while to help me to study" and the other comment "with my psychiatrist"
"Let the tests begin"
"I won't get stressed because of college, because ritalin will help me with it, I have faith in it"

betterthanwords
08-05-14, 07:24 AM
I have been****

Raye
08-06-14, 04:30 AM
The amount of people who buy doesn't
surprise me...stuff like that posted on the
Internet does.

I usually don't wish harm
On anyone, but hope someone gets busted
by an undercover.

Αλήθεια
08-08-14, 07:50 PM
So I put 'ritalina' (it has the 'a' in Portuguese) on the search box on some social sites, and I was appalled by how many people buy / take it without prescription. Don't they know it's dangerous to take the medicine without being prescribed by a doctor?

A doctor's prescription has no bearing whatsoever on the safety of a substance. Many doctors are careless and/or stupid and prescribe dangerous doses; it happens all the time. My roommate, for example—a 110-pound girl—was prescribed a whopping 40mg of Adderall a DAY to start with, which is a crazy amount for someone that small and with no tolerance. I admonished her against following such an insane regimen, but she shrugged off my warnings, and I watched as she became malnourished, irritable, and absolutely miserable. She ended up screaming and yelling and huffing and puffing all the time, and eventually she went bat**** crazy and terminated my rental agreement over a triviality.

Having ADD symptoms does not make stimulant drugs any less dangerous for you than they are for anybody else—your LD50 is just about the same as it is for the rest of the human race (it only varies slightly on the basis of gender, morphology, heredity, etc.). Methylphenidate's not too terribly dangerous even if it does have some addiction potential (and bear in mind that even therapeutic doses can create addictions in patients with prescriptions), but amphetamines are dangerous, and they're prescribed to small children all the time—think of the stigma surrounding meth, and while that stigma's inflated, the reality is that Adderall and Dexedrine are virtually pharmacodynamically identical to meth. As is always the case, dose makes poison: recreational doses tend to be several fold higher than therapeutic ones, and this is where addicts start to differ from responsible users.

Do you feel entitled because someone you perceive as an authority approves of your use? I don't think you have any right to frown upon users without prescriptions. There are any number of reasons why someone with a legitimate "need" (because nobody "needs" psychoactive drugs of any sort) might be unable to obtain a prescription. Lots of people have no insurance. Do you have any idea how expensive psychiatry appointments are? Do you have any idea how expensive prescription fills are? I pay the pharmacy $10 for 30 capsules of Dexedrine because I have insurance, but if I didn't have it, that bottle would cost me $490. Not everyone is as privileged as you are.

Conman
08-08-14, 11:46 PM
what symbolnameforumposter said.

i wouldnt say its dangerous to take meds without it being prescribed by a doctor. me taking adderall without a prescription would be the same as i am now except a bit more shady and illegal.

this is why prescription drugs are used recreationally cuz some are either study drugs, cheap cocaine (namely crushed up adderall and ritalin, or a combo known as RITERALL), or downers like benzo's. low OD on a single med alone unless combined with other stuff also promote recreational use. its how humans operate, if there's something that gives you a nice alteration of your reality like alcohol and drugs then youre gonna be interested in trying it

peripatetic
08-09-14, 12:51 AM
Do you feel entitled because someone you perceive as an authority approves of your use? I don't think you have any right to frown upon users without prescriptions. There are any number of reasons why someone with a legitimate "need" (because nobody "needs" psychoactive drugs of any sort) might be unable to obtain a prescription. Lots of people have no insurance. Do you have any idea how expensive psychiatry appointments are? Do you have any idea how expensive prescription fills are? I pay the pharmacy $10 for 30 capsules of Dexedrine because I have insurance, but if I didn't have it, that bottle would cost me $490. Not everyone is as privileged as you are.

i find the notion of having a "right" to frown upon someone kinda laughable because it's not really a question of rights. though, if it were, i'm curious what gives you the "right" to judge others' experiences and symptoms to the point of saying that "nobody "needs" psychoactive drugs of any sort."

both "rights" are mere opinions and, frankly, though i do agree with you that there are many who lack access and are no less, due to their economic, geographical, or other circumstances legitimately suffering and deserving treatment and not judgment for it, that you then turn around and judge others so unequivocally based on your own prejudices pretty hypocritical in failing to extend the same empathy or sympathy, as the case may be, to a different group of people.

it sounds like you have concluded about yourself that you don't "need" psychoactive medications of any sort, which is a great thing and many would like to have the same conclusions about selves. the problem i see here is that you extropolate the range of impairment possible and "need" for medications *you* have to all others and then pass the same dismissive judgment from a point of "privilege" that you're calling out others for having done. which is your "right", of course, but it's pretty short sighted, i think.

the question of what could possibly qualify you to speak to another's needs for stimulant medication and life aside, you do realize that "psychoactive medications" as a category includes a lot more than stimulant medications, i hope? well, correction: i hope you don't because if you do know all of the medication types included in that category and still think that, i find it pretty callous. just one example would be antiepileptics. to blanketly declare that nobody needs such medications, which, "nobody" would include everyone with life threatening grand mal seizures...is to say nobody in that situation "needs" a chance at not ******* dying.

bottom line: though, as i said, i do agree that there are many in the world with circumstances that make accessing treatment difficult and even impossible and judging those people as lesser is troublesome, it's no less troublesome that you did the exact same thing.

sarahsweets
08-09-14, 05:28 AM
Its obvious that you may not understand some things about stimulants. First of all weights have no bearing on the amount of amphetamine that someone is prescribed. A child can easily do well on 40mg and an adult can do well on 10mg. Weight has nothing to do with it. And to say that "small children" are being prescribed these meds as if its a conspiracy for doctor's to drugs kids is offensive to me and shines a light on the ignorance that so many uneducated people have towards adhd meds. These meds are life and death for some people, no different than glasses or insulin. To lump access to healthcare with illegal use of medications kind of baffles me. There is a huge difference between someone with no insurance and someone who buys adderall from a friend. Adderall on the street costs more than paying for a prescription. Next time please leave the "expert " knowledge you have on kids and adhd meds out of your argument.

A doctor's prescription has no bearing whatsoever on the safety of a substance. Many doctors are careless and/or stupid and prescribe dangerous doses; it happens all the time. My roommate, for example—a 110-pound girl—was prescribed a whopping 40mg of Adderall a DAY to start with, which is a crazy amount for someone that small and with no tolerance. I admonished her against following such an insane regimen, but she shrugged off my warnings, and I watched as she became malnourished, irritable, and absolutely miserable. She ended up screaming and yelling and huffing and puffing all the time, and eventually she went bat**** crazy and terminated my rental agreement over a triviality.

Having ADD symptoms does not make stimulant drugs any less dangerous for you than they are for anybody else—your LD50 is just about the same as it is for the rest of the human race (it only varies slightly on the basis of gender, morphology, heredity, etc.). Methylphenidate's not too terribly dangerous even if it does have some addiction potential (and bear in mind that even therapeutic doses can create addictions in patients with prescriptions), but amphetamines are dangerous, and they're prescribed to small children all the time—think of the stigma surrounding meth, and while that stigma's inflated, the reality is that Adderall and Dexedrine are virtually pharmacodynamically identical to meth. As is always the case, dose makes poison: recreational doses tend to be several fold higher than therapeutic ones, and this is where addicts start to differ from responsible users.

Αλήθεια
08-09-14, 01:53 PM
peripatetic, when I say "need" in scarequotes I'm referring to the fact that synthetic drugs are a useful tool, a product of technology, rather than a basic biological need. As for anticonvulsants, there are a handful of benzodiazepines used to treat epilepsy, but they're generally not the first line of defense. Maybe you could call those an exception. I don't know of any other anticonvulsant medications that are significantly psychoactive. People reap life-changing benefits from psychoactive drugs, prescription or no, so no, I'm not making any judgment of the sort you're inferring.

sarahsweets, it's apparently you who doesn't understand. There are many metrics considered in the prescription of various psychiatric drugs, and weight is (or in theory should be) virtually always one of them. That doesn't mean it's the most significant metric, but it's an important consideration. It's even mentioned in the wording of dosage charts:

"Table 2 summarizes pediatric
ADD/ADHD recommended daily doses based upon patient-specific characteristics including age and weight."

http://www.txvendordrug.com/downloads/criteria/add_adhd_meds.pdf

And yes, children tend to have HIGHER tolerances for amphetamines than adults do. That also doesn't mean that "weights have no bearing on the amount of amphetamine that someone is prescribed."

Everyone responds differently to such drugs. That's why any responsible doctor will begin with a low dose and then slowly ramp it up as the patient's response is gauged. Notice that my roommate's doctor BEGAN her treatment at the maximum recommended dose for adults, which is 40mg. That's not only irresponsible, it's borderline malpractice. My point stands.

"no different than glasses or insulin" Yeah, glasses and insulin don't have abuse potential. I consider that a difference.

"Adderall on the street costs more than paying for a prescription." My 15mg Dexedrine spansules would cost me $16 apiece without insurance. That's nearly double street price. Sounds like you haven't been to the streets in a while.

sarahsweets
09-01-14, 05:23 AM
"no different than glasses or insulin" Yeah, glasses and insulin don't have abuse potential. I consider that a difference.
Ok but the benefits of glasses and insulin are similar to the benefits of proper medication. For me it can be life or death.

Adderall on the street costs more than paying for a prescription." My 15mg Dexedrine spansules would cost me $16 apiece without insurance. That's nearly double street price. Sounds like you haven't been to the streets in a while.
You're right its been awhile since I was around people buying adderall illegally so I will concede. The part of that really got to me was the idea that dangerous amphetamines were being prescribed to small children. Do you think that they shouldn't be given to kids? Or only kids at a certain age? Why do you think amphetamines are so dangerous that children shouldn't be prescribed them?