View Full Version : Longitudinal studies on Adderall effects?

Eaaqas
08-07-14, 12:25 PM
Hi all,

Have any of you seen longitudinal studies on Adderall effects? I've seen anecdotal evidence pointing to the need for therapy because Adderall is just a "crutch".

I understand Adderall has only been around for 30 years, but I am surprised that no one has completed a longitudinal study to track effects from childhood through adulthood. I understand that a lot of people go off and on though due to worries about brain chemistry, so it might be hard to complete a study of this magnitude.

Thanks all!

CalmClouds
08-07-14, 12:37 PM
Hi there,

Well I can say from personal experience that the medicine really long term helps me to be way more sensible. So even when stopping the medication, I still have its good therapeutic effects.

Dizfriz
08-07-14, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

Have any of you seen longitudinal studies on Adderall effects? I've seen anecdotal evidence pointing to the need for therapy because Adderall is just a "crutch".

The Amphetamines (Adderall and related) have been used for ADHD for over 70 years and Methylphenidate (Ritalin and related) have been around over 50. To date no major long term issues have been found with either of these drugs when taken as directed. The main problems come from abuse.

Medication for ADHD is no more a "crutch" than reading glasses for farsightedness. They help people compensate for the effects of the disability and go on about their lives. Neither glasses nor medications are perfect but overall they do a pretty good job.

I understand Adderall has only been around for 30 years, but I am surprised that no one has completed a longitudinal study to track effects from childhood through adulthood. I understand that a lot of people go off and on though due to worries about brain chemistry, so it might be hard to complete a study of this magnitude. There have been some attempted but so many drop out or change medications that, as far as I know, none have continued more than a few years. The MTA studies have kept track of kids involved and do updates from time to time. You might wish to check it out.

The other problem is that you cannot do placebo control groups for very long for ethical reasons.

Right now the consensus seem to be that we do not really know of any serious long term effects with these medications. There are side effects as with any drug and some can be serious but we are aware of most of them and these need to be monitored. Adderall is generally considered to be fairly safe *when taken as directed*. When abused, all bets are off. Many of the negative things written about this drug relates to what happens when it is abused.

You might look up Amphetamine on Wiki, it is a fairly good article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine

Take care and these are question that are and should be often asked. It is good to check out anything you put into your body especially something as powerful as medications.

Dizfriz