View Full Version : sheldon from big bang

daveddd
08-07-14, 08:26 PM
i know we don't diagnose people on tv

but it seems sheldon goes out of his way to be autistic

is his character accurate to asperger people?

Flia
08-08-14, 07:39 AM
Oh yes.
I have Asperger and I see myself in everything he does, even if I don't word my needs as he does.

stef
08-08-14, 08:26 AM
BRILLIANT show. I like to think the writers do their best to be accurate in general - I don't think I have Asperger's but I can relate to some of Sheldon, especially changes in routine (bc I have to follow a routine to stay sane...) maybe they are overdoing it a bit? I can't tell. But it's pretty consistent.

I love how when the characters are discussing something, they really are talking about actual scientific theories or real references to sci fi (as far as I can tell). There was this whole episode based on LOTR and they were actually quoting the book.

Lunacie
08-08-14, 09:51 AM
Yep, we love watching it because we see so much of Sheldon in my youngest granddaughter (atypical autism) and some in myself.

But both my granddaughter and I tend to get more emotional about changes and disruptions than Sheldon does. He's so Mr. Spock.

I was thinking Sheldon is more OCD than we are, but I remember an episode where Amy tried an experiment in not allowing
Sheldon to finish the little things like knocking on a door three times.

So I tried that experiment on my granddaughter. She caught on to what I was doing pretty quickly
(maybe she remembered that episode) but it clearly was very annoyed her when I'd "Nove, I love y...." without actually saying "you."

namazu
08-08-14, 11:44 AM
There was an interview with Jim Parsons (the actor who plays Sheldon) in which they discussed this (http://www.avclub.com/article/jim-parsons-27415) (actually, I'm sure it's come up a lot, but this was easy to read).

Apparently the writers' intent was not to explicitly give the character Asperger's, but Jim Parsons (after learning what Asperger's was) definitely saw parallels between some of Sheldon's behaviors/traits and some of the characteristics common to people with Asperger's.

daveddd
08-08-14, 01:47 PM
Yea if anyone. I'm like Rajas girlfriend with social anxiety

She does a good job with it

Fraser_0762
08-08-14, 02:09 PM
Yes. He fits the bill in more or less every aspect and most likely has Aspergers in real life, as you just can't act it out that well unless you actually have it.

His lack of understanding for sarcasm and emotional reasoning combined with his poor sense of body language and OCD traits is a tell tale sign of Aspergers syndrome.

However, he's obviously taking his symptoms and intentionally takes them over the top in order to fit the character. That's what makes him the star of the show.

Lunacie
08-08-14, 03:24 PM
There was an interview with Jim Parsons (the actor who plays Sheldon) in which they discussed this (http://www.avclub.com/article/jim-parsons-27415) (actually, I'm sure it's come up a lot, but this was easy to read).

Apparently the writers' intent was not to explicitly give the character Asperger's, but Jim Parsons (after learning what Asperger's was) definitely saw parallels between some of Sheldon's behaviors/traits and some of the characteristics common to people with Asperger's.

Very interesting interview. Loved reading that Johnny Galecki was the one to spot the comparison between Sheldon and Asperger's.

stef
08-08-14, 03:51 PM

his girlfriend? they end up getting together?!
wait don't tell me. we are at least one season behind here.

if it's even possible - I'm a comination of Sheldon and Penny....

daveddd
08-08-14, 03:59 PM
Yes. He fits the bill in more or less every aspect and most likely has Aspergers in real life, as you just can't act it out that well unless you actually have it.

His lack of understanding for sarcasm and emotional reasoning combined with his poor sense of body language and OCD traits is a tell tale sign of Aspergers syndrome.

However, he's obviously taking his symptoms and intentionally takes them over the top in order to fit the character. That's what makes him the star of the show.

What about the narcissist part?
So he's overdoing all the symptoms

So that would be considered severe?

ADHD social issues seem quite different

daveddd
08-08-14, 09:17 PM
his girlfriend? they end up getting together?!
wait don't tell me. we are at least one season behind here.

if it's even possible - I'm a comination of Sheldon and Penny....

i just know they have dated on the show

I'm not further than you

what parts of penny and what parts of sheldon

look like penny , smart as sheldon?

Conman
08-08-14, 11:40 PM
oddly enough lots of people i know compare me to Sheldon from Big Bang...

Fraser_0762
08-09-14, 01:11 AM
What about the narcissist part?
So he's overdoing all the symptoms

So that would be considered severe?

ADHD social issues seem quite different

It's a comedy show. So they take certain characteristics and blow them out of proportion to make the show and the situations more outrageous.

You'll often find that they get the characteristics from the actors themselves and ask them to "over do it". When those characteristics clash with the characteristics of another character you get results that are outrageous and funny.

A lot of people will compare themselves to Sheldon, but only because he over does the symptoms by such a large degree. I haven't however met anybody with Aspergers who is anywhere near as severe as Sheldons character. But we can relate to everything that he does, because it's so over done and everything stands out more.

stef
08-09-14, 02:12 AM
i

what parts of penny and what parts of sheldon

look like penny , smart as sheldon?

I wish! no the kind of clueless/ materialistic / shopping side + living in routines and various quirks.
physically I look more like Amy ( but not the wardrobe although in winter i will wear a denim skirt with tights...)

daveddd
08-09-14, 07:57 AM
It's a comedy show. So they take certain characteristics and blow them out of proportion to make the show and the situations more outrageous.

You'll often find that they get the characteristics from the actors themselves and ask them to "over do it". When those characteristics clash with the characteristics of another character you get results that are outrageous and funny.

A lot of people will compare themselves to Sheldon, but only because he over does the symptoms by such a large degree. I haven't however met anybody with Aspergers who is anywhere near as severe as Sheldons character. But we can relate to everything that he does, because it's so over done and everything stands out more.

yea seems a bit overdone

i did work with someone with autism a while back though,, his ability to get sarcasm was non existent , he just didn't acknowledge it like sheldon

daveddd
08-09-14, 08:02 AM

I've never crawled out a window

but her mannerisms , facial expressions , and even some interpersonal details are very accurate for me

funny on TV i guess