View Full Version : Just waiting for school to start...

zette93
08-08-14, 05:14 PM
My DS9 has Aspergers, ADHD, and mild dyslexia, so we've been through the wringer already.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that our 4.5 yo daughter has ADHD and dyslexia. We're visiting family overseas, and it's glaringly obvious how she can't sit still for a meal at a restaurant and how she talks nonstop -- on a 45 minute boat ride I don't think she paused for breath once. (I've also been trying to teach her to recognize letters and see the same issues her brother had at that age.) She doesn't have the tantrums and meltdowns that her brother had, though, so her preschool teacher hasn't voiced any concerns.

She starts a two-year kindergarten program this fall, so now we're just waiting to see how she does there. Can't get a diagnosis without problems in another setting, and kindergarten teachers are pretty forgiving anyway, so it might be two more years before anyone else sees what her father and I see. Or even longer -- girls are underdiagnosed, and she is definitely a rule-follower and social butterfly.

sarahsweets
08-09-14, 06:28 AM
Nothing beats early intervention.

My DS9 has Aspergers, ADHD, and mild dyslexia, so we've been through the wringer already.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that our 4.5 yo daughter has ADHD and dyslexia. We're visiting family overseas, and it's glaringly obvious how she can't sit still for a meal at a restaurant and how she talks nonstop -- on a 45 minute boat ride I don't think she paused for breath once. (I've also been trying to teach her to recognize letters and see the same issues her brother had at that age.) She doesn't have the tantrums and meltdowns that her brother had, though, so her preschool teacher hasn't voiced any concerns.

She starts a two-year kindergarten program this fall, so now we're just waiting to see how she does there. Can't get a diagnosis without problems in another setting, and kindergarten teachers are pretty forgiving anyway, so it might be two more years before anyone else sees what her father and I see. Or even longer -- girls are underdiagnosed, and she is definitely a rule-follower and social butterfly.

Mom2GnJ
08-12-14, 08:34 PM
Hang in there. I've got a talker on my hands, and that's just as exhausting at times as tantrums. Could you discuss your concerns with her teacher so that her teacher can be looking for warning signs? That would allow for testing and early intervention earlier...