View Full Version : Thinking of Switching from Ritalin to Wellbutrin

Jenn1202
08-08-14, 06:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am currently on a very low dose of Ritalin that is barely enough to keep me focused. The thing is that I can't increase the dose because Ritalin gives me really bad side effects. Sometimes I get horrible palpitations, which seem to be worsened by the Ritalin. My ADD really affects my life and makes it difficult for me to work :(.

My doctor suggested that I try non stimulants like Wellbutrin. Has anyone here experienced palpitations or heart related side effects on stimulants and then switched to Wellbutrin? Do you tolerate Wellbutrin better? What side effects do you get? Does it help you focus? Does it help with your other ADD/ADHD symptoms?

I'm kind of afraid to try this medication because I'm not depressed and I don't know how it's going to affect me. I've also heard some bad things about antidepressants before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Pilgrim
08-21-14, 08:41 AM
Wellbutrin won't help you with focus.

chaotic mind
08-21-14, 02:57 PM
Yep I agree. I have been on bupropion for years and it helped with my fatigue but not my hyperactive/impulsive adhd. I still use it to a supplement Vyvanse in an attempt to keep that at 20mg/day. Not 100% sure it adds much to the Vyvanse, but its a very tolerable combination for me. You may want to consider it to supplement a possibly slightly lower dose of your primary adhd meds.

Pilgrim
08-23-14, 11:50 AM
I was curious about the combination of ADD meds and Wellbutrin .
Any thoughts by anyone?
I want to go to my Psyciatrist and ask him to do this.

Little Missy
08-23-14, 01:08 PM
I tried Wellbutrin with Adderall a couple of summers ago and I felt like I wanted to un-zip my body off of me and run away as fast as I could. When I asked Shrinkipoo about it she mentioned that maybe I should not have taken the two together. But that was just my reaction to it and I quit taking it.

Jenn1202
08-24-14, 02:44 AM
Thank you so much for your responses. Based on your posts it doesn't seem like Wellbutrin works as well as other ADD meds. The idea of combining Wellbutrin with Ritalin came up, and I was told that it works for some people, but to my understanding some people may get side effects from this combination of meds (even though these medications don't officially seem to interact).

For now, my ADD doctor and I decided I should probably try Adderall first because I've never tried it and it may actually give me less side effects than Ritalin. I really hope it works. If it doesn't, I'll probably try Wellbutrin.

Pilgrim
08-24-14, 04:21 AM
Adderall is relatively strong compared to Ritalin.
Good for focus.

Sekhmet2014
08-25-14, 11:01 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but I'm an old hand at Wellbutrin. It is somewhat "activating" because it stimulates dopamine in the system, and dopamine does help with some focus, maybe. I take it for depression. I took it for about 7 years then quit for 3 years and then started last summer, when I was at a low point.
After about 3 months, I was looking into some other issues--like, why, now that I was not as depressed and felt like I could go and do things, did I still put things off? Why was my mind so disorganized? it took me nearly a year to talk to my psychiatrist about it.
He sent me to someone who did psychological testing. Because I'm older (upper 50s), he also had me tested for memory and cognitive impairment--just in case. Well my memory and cognition are fine, but I have ADD!!!

All these years, I could have known--why did doctors never pick this up, when I've related my school and work histories (procrastination, daydreaming, blurting out poorly-worded statements when I should have kept quiet, etc, etc)?!

My psychiatrist is starting me on Strattera, because at my age, perhaps a strong stimulant is not recommended. Since I've just started Strattera, all I can tell for the most part are that there are side effects.

But to answer your question, Wellbutrin helps with a certain amount of impulsivity, but not focus. It can stimulate somewhat, but not entirely. It does help me let go of anxiety so that I can focus, but I want to do better than that in my life.

I just heard my alarm go off to remind me to try to call the ADD coach and make an appointment.
Good luck!