View Full Version : Systemic Change: Let's Come Together As A Community And Fight Generic Price Increases

RoxyMusic
11-19-12, 06:03 AM
Hi everyone,

Bear with me long post ahead! :)

Well after the problems I had with Dex I am back to using it. I found that it works better than any other medicine that I tried in the short period away from it. Thanks to all those that offered suggestions and advice! I guess I am going to chalk it up to bizzaro medication issues. This is the first time I have been on this type of medication since being diagnosed in January. I can't tell you how much my life has improved during the past 11 months. Being diagnosed was still the best thing that happened to me, and even though I had a hiccup, I have no regrets about seeking treatment. So far so good since I came to the world of Dex. Thanks again to everyone here for your input and advice!

Anyway, now that I am back to using Dex, I see the price is getting out of control, so maybe I won't be for long. Without insurance I can't afford the price increases that are occurring. I am going to fight like hell however and advocate for the ADHD community and for those that dextroamphetamine has been a beneficial medication to control ADHD symptoms.

Over the next few weeks you will probably see posts of mine on various forums etc. The recent rise in price of this medication will hopefully give us an opportunity to come together as a community and to fight back against drug company or drug distributor greed. I am not sure who is responsible yet. I hope to do more digging and uncover exactly what is happening.

In the mean time, without getting into conspiracy theories, here is what I know:

Jeremy Levin became Teva's (Barr) new CEO in May of 2012. Mr. Levin came from Bristol Myers Squibb.
Mr. Levin has been quoted in several sources his desire to increase Teva profitability. He plans to release the company strategy, under his leadership, December 11th. (http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000771807&fid=4111) One article of many.
Shareholders and analysts have been critical of Teva's low shareholder earnings and profitability. See above linked article.
On the November 1st Third Quarter 2012 Teva earnings call the CFO of Teva mentioned cost increases in Europe, but was mum on increases in the US. Here is what he had to say about generic pricing in Europe: "As mentioned on our previous quarterly call, to address the ongoing price and regulatory pressure in key markets in Europe, we are moving away from a pure growth focus to a profitable and sustainable growth model for generics in Europe. As part of this model, we are being more selective in our go-to-market routes and have stopped utilizing certain discount and rebates, which reduced profitability, and avoid aggressively priced tenders while still maintaining our leadership position". (http://seekingalpha.com/article/968911-teva-pharmaceutical-industries-limited-management-discusses-q3-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=4)

It appears to me, and this is just my opinion, that Teva will be raising the price on several high demand generics to increase profitability. Or possibly they still can't meet demand due to DEA caps so they are raising the price to limit sales and fall within the caps, avoiding a shortage situation. This is all just speculation and hopefully we will know more on the December 11th call.

So what can we do? We can either decide to ignore this and be deprived of another medication that has been successful at treating our ADHD (Desoxyn, Dex ER) due to cost. Or we can use the infinite resources of the internet to come together as a community and organize retaliation to unjust pricing. And for those that don't use Dex just remember your medication of choice could be next. If we take a stand against ridiculous price increases, on medications that have been around for about 80 years, it may compel the drug companies or distributors to think twice before raising prices to obscene levels or prompt action by government regulatory agencies.

In the meantime please report increases to the FTC by filing a complaint. If you have been affected by the cost increases or know someone that has. Let them know the profound effect of being deprived of your medication due to cost. It only takes a few minutes. You can file a complaint here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ This is very important. The FTC stated that a goal in 2012 was to investigate rising drug costs.(http://www.ftc.gov/os/highlights/2012/topics/prescriptionDrugs.shtml) They need to hear from us. There needs to be some groundswell. The more people that file complaints the better. They take action based on consumer complaint volume. Also, spend a few minutes more and contact your state AG and file a complaint. States in the past have compelled the FTC to take action on issues or have taken action themselves. Again, it requires making your voice heard. Here is a listing to all 50 states Attorney Generals websites and phone number: http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/stateattorneygenerallist.php

Even if you are insured and pay a small copay, remember that this increase may affect you also, via increased premium costs or more restricted access to the medication, due to cost. Also, please think of your ADHD brethren without insurance. :p Anyway, you can file a complaint as well to voice your concern on increased insurance costs due to a massive price increase.

If you have made it this far, sorry I am hyperfocusing again, let me know what your thoughts are and if you are interested in getting the word out. Also, any suggestions you have. Would love to hear it!

My plans, over the next few weeks, are to get some of the other ADHD forums involved such as Reddit. I will be contacting the ADHD advocacy groups such as CHADD. Starting a petition, and coming up with a way that you can contact your elected politicians with either a form letter or personal letter. Also, I will try to reach out to some of the consumer advocacy groups to see if they are interested in getting the word out.

Admittedly, this is a little selfish of me to be taking this on and asking for help from the community as I stand to benefit, by way of having access to my medication and leading a successful/normal life, if prices are not raised. I imagine there are many more out there like me that have benefited greatly from their medication and are going to be put into a situation where they can't afford it and have no other options. This medication was commonly prescribed to those without insurance, because of the low cost. Also, I figured maybe it would unify us as a community, to advocate for our own well being and future well being. I may be being delusional or a dreamer that I can make a difference, but I have some time and would like to fight like hell trying, for once in my life. I can't do it by myself though. I need help from the community. Trust me that I am very willing and able to take this on and put in a bunch of work to ensure success. I won't just drop it and forget about it after a week. This is something that I am very compassionate about. Not asking for money, I promise! Just great ideas, your time and people power! :D

I will leave it at that. Please let me know what you think. I am open to all suggestions, ideas and offers for assistance! Let's use people power and collectivism to fight for our well being!

Thanks for reading!! :)

**Mods - Sorry for not posting this in the price increases due to shortages thread! I just figured maybe it would benefit from it's own thread since it's looking like the price increases may be permanent. And it could use some visibility in order to build awareness and potential action by the community. If I have broken any rules or you don't think this post is appropriate for the forum, my sincere apologies! Feel free to move the thread wherever or let me know if I can make changes to make it appropriate material. Thanks!!

Nate W
11-19-12, 08:44 AM
Thank you for looking into the price increases and possible remedies. The amphetamine class of medications are the only generics I have come accross that are inexpensive to manufacturer and are outrageously expensive at the retail level.

One other thing to look into is to perhaps contact the DEA and ask that they not restrict the raw ingredients to manufacturers. Maybe it's a legitimate concern, maybe it's not, but if the DEA knows some people are struggling and that it may be putting pressure on insurers to raise rates, maybe they will give consideration to changing the laws restricting the ingredients.

--Nate

sarahsweets
11-19-12, 09:32 AM
Its almost like they let the black market dictate they price of legitimate prescriptions

RoxyMusic
11-19-12, 01:41 PM
Thanks Nate W and Sarahsweets!

You are correct Nate W this could be about DEA limitations on the product. We don't know for sure, yet anyway. It is unacceptable however for price to go from around $80 a month to well over $300 or $400 a month for the same quantity of pills. Especially for an 80 year old generic. Also, what happened to Mikart/Wilshire? It seems that they never released their product. To me this all seems suspicious.

Thanks for the great suggestion Nate W! I will definitely look into that as a possible reason for the rate increase. I think folks that are affected should still continue to contact the FTC. The complaints to the FDA this year, due to shortages, helped push the DEA into increasing the quota. If the DEA is indeed causing this hopefully pressure could be exerted by the FTC in the same way as the FDA. Fingers crossed anyway! :)

JR1973
11-21-12, 12:26 PM
Not going to work.....Capitalism & free market system....= consumer is screwed. Companies are profit driven. The companies make money, stock prices go up and feed everyone's 401k and IRA plans.

RoxyMusic
11-24-12, 03:53 AM
Not going to work.....Capitalism & free market system....= consumer is screwed. Companies are profit driven. The companies make money, stock prices go up and feed everyone's 401k and IRA plans.

The one thing you can control is the pharmacy you buy from. There is a wide variance in price from one chain to another. Places like Costco tend to be on the lower end.
Sorry for the lack of updates. Got tied up with holiday festivities.

Thanks for your input JR1973! Unfortunately it looks like this price increase is across the board and all pharmacies are starting to show higher prices as they get their new shipments of medication in. Costco was actually one of the first to start showing the quadrupling of price.

I agree it's difficult to fight back against a big money industry such as pharma, however that is what they are banking on. They hope everyone rolls over and accepts the new pricing unchallenged. I say when you quadruple prices of a generic medication that has been round for 80 years you better have a darn good reason. To that end it is important to fight back. The FTC has already taken several actions against pharmaceutical companies through this year:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/reporter/competition/payfordelay.shtml
http://www.ftc.gov/bc/healthcare/antitrust/rxupdate.pdf

Many of these actions were directed by consumers. Also, our voices were heard when we complained and lobbied the FDA regarding medication shortages. This led to an increase in ingredient quota. So the squeaky wheel does get the grease, but it has to be really squeaky. That is why it is important to lobby the FTC through their complaint mechanism.

For myself and many others, this is tantamount to depriving myself and others treatment, something that has improved my life several fold. There are two other options for me to try, that I can afford, and I am not so sure that I want to switch to a different medication and go through new side effect or ineffectiveness, when the one I take works just fine.

That brings me to my last point. If we roll over and accept this crazy price increase, they will probably try it with other ADHD medications that are somewhat affordable, such as Adderall and Ritalin. If we put up some opposition now we can hopefully prevent further increases in other medications.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Over the next week, I will be setting up a website, to direct grassroots action and advocate medication issues for the ADHD community. I will update you all when I get that going. I'm not going to put advertising on it or anything so there will be no personal financial gain. Further updates forthcoming.

RoxyMusic
11-24-12, 04:12 AM
One other thing I didn't think of, what happens when all the folks that can no longer afford Dex IR move over to Adderall or Ritalin, due to those being the lower cost medications. Supplies of both may be strained leading to a whole new shortage situation. :(

Vito, ADDer
11-24-12, 03:30 PM
RoxyMusic hit the bullseye: It was public outcry ("squeaky wheels") that created the excessive regulation of amphetamines in the first place. If that interference with free market forces worked to the disadvantage of legitimate users, their voices were drowned out by the hysteria against the boogeyman of choice in this particular issue—namely, Dangerous, Degenerate Speed Freaks™. Legitimate users have always been in the minority.

In this case, the minority is us. I was part of the "we" who didn't care before I knew that I would become part of the "we" who needs this medication in order to function. Meanwhile, the more urgent reality is that our med prices are inflating beyond reason. What to do?

I didn't create the current mess. I'm not going to be able to fix it on my own. So, as much as I hate to compromise principle, I'm compelled to acknowledge that RoxyMusic is right. We're going to have to squeak louder if we want to get the grease. For that reason, I already have filed a complaint with the FTC. If anyone wants to see it, let me know and I'll post it.

RoxyMusic
11-24-12, 07:45 PM
RoxyMusic hit the bullseye: It was public outcry ("squeaky wheels") that created the excessive regulation of amphetamines in the first place. If that interference with free market forces worked to the disadvantage of legitimate users, their voices were drowned out by the hysteria against the boogeyman of choice in this particular issue—namely, Dangerous, Degenerate Speed Freaks™. Legitimate users have always been in the minority.

In this case, the minority is us. I was part of the "we" who didn't care before I knew that I would become part of the "we" who needs this medication in order to function. Meanwhile, the more urgent reality is that our med prices are inflating beyond reason. What to do?

I didn't create the current mess. I'm not going to be able to fix it on my own. So, as much as I hate to compromise principle, I'm compelled to acknowledge that RoxyMusic is right. We're going to have to squeak louder if we want to get the grease. For that reason, I already have filed a complaint with the FTC. If anyone wants to see it, let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks Vito on behalf of all of us without insurance! :thankyou:

Here is the way I see it. There needs to be some sort of advocacy for stimulant medications as a whole. Not only does this affect us ADDers, but those that take stimulant medications for narcolepsy, treatment resistant depression, social anxiety, MS, fibromyalgia etc.

CHADD has done a great job advocating, and was instrumental in lobbying for ingredient quota increases, but I'm sure they are stretched thin. So I think, there needs to be a single advocate for users of stimulant medications, that works in tandem with advocacy groups like CHADD to advocate for fair and common sense stimulant medication policy. And also to counter the propaganda regarding these medications and inform the public. Yes people abuse them, heck people abuse Prozac and other medications as well, however there are many people that depend on them to live a productive life, those folks shouldn't be consistantly under attack and encumbered accessing their medication. We need to make our voice heard much more loudly. And that is my goal with all of this. I am a neophyte when it comes to advocacy and activism, but hopefully I can learn and get the ball rolling until those more expert can advise etc.

Oh well, much more to come. Thanks again!

Gina
11-25-12, 01:58 AM
Good for you, RoxyMusic. This is how things happen. Citizen action.

This excerpt from a 1/12 NYTimes piece seems the nut of the issue - the brand-name manufacturers are telling the DEA that there is no shortage (because they don't want competition from the generics):

Still, Special Agent Gary Boggs of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Office of Diversion Control, said in an interview, “We believe there is plenty of supply.”
Some high-priced pills are indeed readily available, and D.E.A. officials said that so long as that is the case, they believe that A.D.H.D. drug supplies are adequate. Agent Boggs attributed any supply disruptions to decisions made by manufacturers.

Novartis, for instance, makes both branded and generic versions of Ritalin; Shire Pharmaceuticals does the same for Adderall XR. In both cases, the companies have ensured that supplies of branded drugs are adequate while allowing generic versions to go wanting.

“We are working diligently to ensure our supply of these products meets demand, including discussions with D.E.A. regarding our quota levels for these controlled substances,” said Kathy Bloomgarden, a spokeswoman for Novartis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/health/policy/fda-is-finding-attention-drugs-in-short-supply.html?_r=2&

Roxy- you might want to contact this Dr. Fox (quoted in the story) for advice on the best strategies to pursue:

Erin Fox, manager of the drug information service at the University of Utah, said problems arise when there is a mismatch between what manufacturers choose to make and what patients are prescribed.

And, Dr. Fox said, while manufacturers sometimes use their limited quotas to ensure adequate supplies of high-priced branded drugs at the expense of low-profit generics, all of the issues would be resolved if the Drug Enforcement Administration were simply more generous with its quotas, particularly since sales of A.D.H.D. medicines have risen so rapidly.

http://faculty.utah.edu/u0073365-ERIN_R_FOX/contact/index.hml

Go get 'em! :-)

RoxyMusic
11-28-12, 04:07 PM
Good for you, RoxyMusic. This is how things happen. Citizen action.

This excerpt from a 1/12 NYTimes piece seems the nut of the issue - the brand-name manufacturers are telling the DEA that there is no shortage (because they don't want competition from the generics):

Still, Special Agent Gary Boggs of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Office of Diversion Control, said in an interview, “We believe there is plenty of supply.”
Some high-priced pills are indeed readily available, and D.E.A. officials said that so long as that is the case, they believe that A.D.H.D. drug supplies are adequate. Agent Boggs attributed any supply disruptions to decisions made by manufacturers.

Novartis, for instance, makes both branded and generic versions of Ritalin; Shire Pharmaceuticals does the same for Adderall XR. In both cases, the companies have ensured that supplies of branded drugs are adequate while allowing generic versions to go wanting.

“We are working diligently to ensure our supply of these products meets demand, including discussions with D.E.A. regarding our quota levels for these controlled substances,” said Kathy Bloomgarden, a spokeswoman for Novartis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/health/policy/fda-is-finding-attention-drugs-in-short-supply.html?_r=2&

Roxy- you might want to contact this Dr. Fox (quoted in the story) for advice on the best strategies to pursue:

Erin Fox, manager of the drug information service at the University of Utah, said problems arise when there is a mismatch between what manufacturers choose to make and what patients are prescribed.

And, Dr. Fox said, while manufacturers sometimes use their limited quotas to ensure adequate supplies of high-priced branded drugs at the expense of low-profit generics, all of the issues would be resolved if the Drug Enforcement Administration were simply more generous with its quotas, particularly since sales of A.D.H.D. medicines have risen so rapidly.

http://faculty.utah.edu/u0073365-ERIN_R_FOX/contact/index.hml

Go get 'em! :-)

Gina - Thanks for stopping by and offering some advice. Good stuff indeed! I will be reaching out to a few folks to get their takes on this and hopefully get more information as to the root cause of the price increases.

I am also still plugging away on a site. I will open it up first to the community so that you can take a look. Would love to get some stories to share on the site.

If you have not been able to afford your dextroamphetamine IR, please feel free to PM me with your story, and what not being able to afford your meds means to you. I would like to include a few quotes or "blurbs" from affected users on the site. Would be great if I can use a first name and state you reside in, but if you want to stay anonymous that is fine.

I am also going to include some information regarding the millions of us who are responsible stimulant users. Right now we are being bombarded by prescription abuse hysteria and we should counter that with information about the good number of responsible users that are being encumbered by the abuse policies. Again, this is about getting our side of the story out there. "Squeaky wheel" etc.

Oops almost forgot, I would like to add some blurbs about dex success stories. So if you would like to publish your success story to a larger audience, again PM me or reply here and I will include it.

Further updates as I move forward!

ww2Vet+dextabs
01-31-13, 02:07 PM
Rox--it does seem as if CHADD, the big national ADD site, would be the one in the forefront of the movement like you propose?
Have u or others tried their site 1st, I have and don't see too much about this avail shortage and new very high prices-
If a very big recognized site like CHADD, can't get any govt response, except what is seen so far, then poss the best way is for anyone in any of our add sites, that is an attorney or knows of a good one for CLASS ACT[I]ON suites--that may be best way to go??

VOltaire
01-31-13, 09:32 PM
Instead of fighting a billion dollar industry with limitless reserves, fight the man and check out the pharmacist's expression when he discovers your discount!!! Coast2CoastRX program does the impossible or honors prices below anything else you might have paid! I've drawn the treasure map its up to

you t follow it???

lyndonboy
07-27-14, 06:05 AM
Yeah Wilshire started selling their 10mg. Dex tabs at Food City in East Tn. They don't want to publicize their product right now so they can quietly slip into the market and charge the same high ridiculous prices! They charged me $289.99 per month supply: 4 10mg. IR tabs =120 per month! Used to get it 3 months worth at a time but when they wanted almost $1500.00 for supply that previously I pages no more than $125.00 for I had no other choice but to split it up struggling to pay $300.00 a month! I mean this medicine has been out forever, yes they need INVESTIGATED,!!! HELP!!! Thanks to everyone that are speaking up and trying to help!:thankyou:

Vito, ADDer
07-27-14, 07:08 AM
Instead of fighting a billion dollar industry with limitless reserves, fight the man and check out the pharmacist's expression when he discovers your discount!!! Coast2CoastRX program does the impossible or honors prices below anything else you might have paid! I've drawn the treasure map its up to you t follow it???
I followed it, along with the same "treasure map" drawn by four other similar programs, and I found that the treasure is built from fool's gold. The discounted price at my local Costco pharmacy was lower than the price they would have charged me with Coast2CoastRx, or any of the other discount prescription programs.

I don't deny that Coast2CoastRx and their ilk might provide pricing that is a big improvement over retail pricing, but for those who never pay retail in the first place, it provides no advantage — at least not here in California.

But it's a moot point for me now, because the Feds forced me onto Medicare earlier this year. What I pay now is less than I paid when I first started taking dex 15 years ago, before the drug companies started charging the insane prices they charge today.

Matt329
07-29-14, 06:07 AM
Even if you pay say... $350 for 90 dex pills that's what? $3.8 a pill!? That's amazing given the street value of these types of medications right now, not to mention ILLEGAL AND WRONG sites like Silk Road that I heard charge 10-20 a pill. But anyways best of luck.. I'll probably have the same probably when Obama Care kicks in and I lose my insurance.

Vito, ADDer
07-29-14, 09:34 AM
...I'll probably have the same (problem) when Obama Care kicks in and I lose my insurance.

No, no. That can't possibly happen. He promised that everyone would get to keep their insurance. Remember? [/sarcasm] :mad:

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it already has happened here in California. My family had insurance, and we were forced off it and onto the new idiocy. (Notice that it has the word "...Care" in it. That's how you know that it has nothing to do with caring. They always lie.)

I see that nothing has happened with the "Let's Come Together..." strategy. Alas, that was predictable. The drug companies are a cartel that's protected by the legislation bought by their billion$. Dex users are too small a minority to matter...even if we were all completely unified, and we're not.

The drug companies are charging astronomical prices for one reason: because they can. It's set up that way. There is as much chance of knocking down the artificially escalated prices as there is of getting dex off the controlled substances list. That's what it would take to bust up the drug cartel. The Government™ won't solve the problem; they created it.

meadd823
07-31-14, 03:30 AM
Moderator Note

While the discussion of new laws and the impact they have upon ADD treatment access is encouraged , politics in and of itself is a restricted topic.

Please keep this discussion about ADD treatment access. as per forum guidelines ( http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842guidelines)

Banned Topics:
* The main focus of ADD Forums is to provide a safe supportive place for people affected by AD/HD, and other co-morbid disorders. To do this, sometimes we must limit the scope of the permitted topics, to foster such a supportive environment.

* We have had issues arise here that have prevented this from happening - primarily members voicing their opinions about religious and political matters. While everyone is allowed their own opinions, there really is no other way to prevent such issues from "disturbing the peace", except to keep these things completely out of the ADD Forums in the first place.

* It is against ADD Forums Guidelines to discuss religious and political matters on the ADD Forums.

Gracie08
08-01-14, 02:51 PM
Obama Care or the Affordable Care Act is law. Everyone on this forum is affected by this law. Everyone knows that promises were made which were broken so this affects everyone with ADHD. What would be political would be keeping people on this forum from talking about this law and suppressing us from talking about the realities of this law and it's how it affects the health care industry in the US. Folks are canceling appointments because they can't afford their medication. This is reality and a worthwhile discussion to me.

sarahsweets
08-02-14, 03:14 AM
I think the issue is:

1- its not called obama care. Its the ACA.
2- not everyone sees it as broken promises.

meadd823, I don't see how the posts above are political. Obama Care or the Affordable Care Act is law. Everyone on this forum is affected by this law. Everyone knows that promises were made which were broken so this affects everyone with ADHD. What would be political would be keeping people on this forum from talking about this law and suppressing us from talking about the realities of this law and it's how it affects the health care industry in the US. Folks are canceling appointments because they can't afford their medication. This is reality and a worthwhile discussion to me.

meadd823
08-03-14, 03:04 AM
Obama Care or the Affordable Care Act is law. Everyone on this forum is affected by this law. Everyone knows that promises were made which were broken so this affects everyone with ADHD. What would be political would be keeping people on this forum from talking about this law and suppressing us from talking about the realities of this law and it's how it affects the health care industry in the US. Folks are canceling appointments because they can't afford their medication. This is reality and a worthwhile discussion to me.

I understand the topic of health care is important thus I am attempting to keep the thread open by offering a heads up that the thing is heading for closure if the political references do not stop. I am trying to be polite however if nice does not work I can simply close the thread if the political line is breached.

Moderator notes are not open for public debate. I strongly suggest private messaging myself or another member of staff with questions or conserns.

dag nab it
08-04-14, 10:03 AM
We could have a general (not limited to dex) drug price, drug availability news thread. That would not be "political" but rather "informative"?

For example, yesterday's New York Times' opinion page has a column written by a doctor,

"Adventures in 'Prior Authorization'".

Readers have made over 300 comments so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/opinion/adventures-in-prior-authorization.html

[If you can't view the article without registering - you can register for free and you'll be allowed to read a limited number of free articles a month without a subscription.]

someothertime
08-04-14, 10:29 AM
you'll need a means to unite and a means to the end... i believe it is doable... and it will take the kind of passion and unique approach of an adder to bring it on ( equitable medication / treatment access ) .

when it arrives i'm going to party like it's 1999 ;)

Eaaqas
08-04-14, 11:51 AM
*raises hand*

80% of you switch to concerta! <3 supply and demand :P

dag nab it
08-06-14, 09:04 PM
UPDATE: Re the AARP price - the price the pharmacist gave me was for a DIFFERENT formula - not the one I had looked up. So of course the price HAD to be different!

dag nab it
08-07-14, 09:23 AM
More about AARP's prescription drug discount program run by a company called Catamaran:

AARP offers pharmacy discounts for members - and children and grandchildren of members who are under age 27. Their website shows which pharmacies in your area accept AARP, which drugs are available, and also gives prices at the pharmacy versus the cost of home delivery. (I don't know whether they do home delivery for ADHD meds in every state, but the price quotes are there.) You may find you do much better using AARP than relying on coupons - not just for price, but for availability (a common problem with dex).

The information under dextroamphetamine is misfiled. The short-acting tablets (other than the very expensive Zenzedi) are listed under "dextroamphetamine sulfate ER". That's where I found a pharmacy price of $121.94 for 100 10mg tablets. I took my script to the pharmacy, and was given a much more expensive quote of $199.74. It turns out the pharmacist gave me a price for the same quantity of the same strength in SPANSULES*. The pharmacy price turned out to be about $20 lower than the listed pharmacy price for spansules shown on the website.

*The naming conventions for dex formulas are confusing. "Dexedrine" used to refer to short-acting tablets, but after that brand's tablets were discontinued, the name started to be used solely for the longer-acting spansules. "Dextrostat" referred to short-acting tablets for a time, but my understanding is that they too were discontinued. "Zenzedi" is a short-acting, expensive name brand. .... It might be better if your doctor writes dextroamphetamine "tablets" (for short-acting) or "capsules" (for the longer-acting spansules) on the script to avoid mixups.

About bottle size: I have started buying my dex by the bottle - since it must be specially ordered, if I take the whole bottle the pharmacist doesn't have the problem of dealing with leftovers. The AARP website shows a bottle size of 100 for tablets, but 90 for spansules. However, spansules are also available in 100s depending on brand. If you have a script for 100 spansules, and the bottle comes with only 90, you can request only the 90.

If this information helps you, please post.

[Note that the prices are subject to change depending upon brands and the weather :rolleyes:].

someothertime
08-09-14, 12:21 AM
Moderator Note:

This thread is the continuation of the corresponding thread here;

Consumer Options:Let's Come Together As A Community And Fight Generic Price Increases (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135403)

We have chosen to split the thread into two, to facilitate the greatest benefit and to better contain response within guidelines,

This thread is now open and herein is for the purpose of;

Commentary on overarching systems, including;

-Govt. policies, drivers and efficacy for change
-Insurance drivers, non-individual mechanisms, policies and advocacy
-Pharmaceutical pricing with regard to causation and change longer term ( non-individual )

-Discussions on current solutions to access cheaper medication are kindly requested to be directed to the corresponding thread listed above ( Consumer Options )

Members with any concerns or queries are encouraged to contact Peri, Somo or Greyhound1. In order to minimise down time the threads are now re-opened though we foresee minor editing over the next few days to better separate the discussions.

Apologies if some member comment becomes fragmented. Again, your welcome to contact the moderators if you have objection or comment. We do believe this is the best way forward with these matters.

Thanking your patience and understanding,

The Medmodteam

RoxyMusic
09-08-14, 03:05 PM
No, no. That can't possibly happen. He promised that everyone would get to keep their insurance. Remember? [/sarcasm] :mad:

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it already has happened here in California. My family had insurance, and we were forced off it and onto the new idiocy. (Notice that it has the word "...Care" in it. That's how you know that it has nothing to do with caring. They always lie.)

I see that nothing has happened with the "Let's Come Together..." strategy. Alas, that was predictable. The drug companies are a cartel that's protected by the legislation bought by their billion$. Dex users are too small a minority to matter...even if we were all completely unified, and we're not.

The drug companies are charging astronomical prices for one reason: because they can. It's set up that way. There is as much chance of knocking down the artificially escalated prices as there is of getting dex off the controlled substances list. That's what it would take to bust up the drug cartel. The Government™ won't solve the problem; they created it.

Hi Vito,

I feel I should address this. I tried to get the community on board with doing something about pricing and trying to build advocacy for:

#1 ADHD medication pricing.
#2 Access to ADHD medication without barriers due to shortages, arbitrary pharmacy regulations, and pricing.
#3 Common sense ADHD medication policy

The problem I ran into, was there didn't seem to be any interest in the community, for helping out with, or building a momentum. I had put out a few calls for help with limited to no response. This thread was pretty quickly buried after posting.

Unfortunately, I own a startup and work 70+ hours a week, and don't have time to do it by myself. I am in the tech field, and can handle the technical aspects (website etc) in my spare time. I however, don't have time to learn the intricacies of patient advocacy and the many laws that accompany doing so including forming a non-profit. And I can't afford a lawyer to do so

So anyway, it certainly wasn't for lack of wanting to get something going, but for a seemingly lack of interest within the community to contribute and get some momentum behind it.

I'm still very much open, to getting something going as it's still very much sorely needed, but can't carry all the weight on my shoulders to do so. There needs to be folks within the ADHD community that want to contribute.

So if anyone is interested please let me know. If there is anyone out there that has experience in patient advocacy, non-profit organization law etc. I would love to make something happen! :)

RoxyMusic
09-08-14, 03:07 PM
My apologies to the mod team as I didn't realize you split the post. Can my post also be copied to that thread?

RoxyMusic
09-08-14, 03:17 PM
Also, my apologies if my message seemed a little cantankerous. Not my intention at all. I was just surprised to see this thread on the first page after being buried for so long. I hope maybe there is some renewed interest.