View Full Version : Do I have ADD?

ElevatorMusic
08-09-14, 08:46 AM
Until recently, I would have never considered I may have ADD - I guess because we commonly associate it with childhood, hyperactive little boys and so forth.

I recently began reading about it in more depth, as relating to adults (especially adult females) and find myself relating.

I'm always late. Luckily, I have a job that doesn't much care when I start...but even when I specifically make a point to be there at a certain time, I still manage to be late.

I'm always in some stage of tiredness, especially in the morning, regardless of how much sleep I get.

My organisational skills are lacking; I'm clean, but my house is often a mess...unless I'm really focused on something or doing something I enjoy, I get distracted, fidgety and bored. I have to actually tell myself to focus and shut things out.

I lost things. Often. Especially my mobile phone.

I have very poor directional skills...I used to think this was just a case of being 'female'...but it's beyond that. I could drive to the same place 10 times and still need my GPS upon the 11th visit.

I'm sensitive to criticism from loved ones...but I handle it well.

Every night, before going to bed, I make a list of things I plan to do. I'm lucky to get through 10% of it the next day.

I'm intelligent and well-adjusted, socially - so I think this has enabled me to get by. I've got 2 degrees, high GPA's...but almost every paper I've ever written was started the night before, no matter how much I tried to push myself into starting earlier.

I don't have any social issues as such...I'm self-aware, don't blurt out stupid things, am considerate and so forth...but social interaction generally leaves me tired. This could just be introversion but thought it was worth a mention.

My partner wants a child...as do I. But I'm not sure how to say 'I don't know if I can have children because I fear my life will be chaos'.

When I get overwhelmed, my body gets stiff/sore and I just want to un-plug and sleep. Coping with daily life things shouldn't be so tough.

On the other side of the coin, I'm resilient in the ways most people aren't...and a failure in the ways most people aren't. Very confusing. Most people think I'm calm, collected, rational...easy going...but actually, I'm always worried about the 100 things I need to do.

someothertime
08-09-14, 10:16 AM
defo seek out an established Psych. you are 100% right that if life is weighing burdens of expectations that cause you daily strain... it's worth getting to the bottom of it.

from here, it's about getting expert input... specifically based on you... no matter the label or expectation.

it's almost counterproductive to ask why or what at this stage ( although perfectly natural )... i cannot stress enough seeing an established/reputable ( ADHD/LD ) practitioner though... and also see if any uni's are running any programs...

you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner... ;) there is a fair chance that a significant portion of the initial treatment will include therapy. it's important to undergo this with an open mind. tho' i suggest marking in your diary 10 session "neurocheck"...

where with your DR you revisit any possible underlying physiological factors.

I wish you the best.

( edit: oopsie!, i be excited you be local and did not heed the section posted, apologies if this is not desired by you )

ElevatorMusic
08-11-14, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your reply :) I did get a referral today.

Just wondering - are mood swings and forgetfulness a must in ADD in adults? I'm not particularly moody though I do have my triggers (tiredness, stress) but nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm not forgetful either, more neglectful of certain things, if that makes sense. It's not that I forget to do them...I just don't.