View Full Version : Synesthesia

why
08-11-03, 11:06 AM
I'm curious to see if anyone else here feels that they may be mildly (or otherwise) synesthetic? If you don't know what that is, it is the connection of two or more senses, colors that smell, shapes that sound a certain way or sounds that "look" a certain way, etc. Personaly I "see" sound. Now I'm not a full on synesthete (spell?). My experience is very mild, but nearly all my senses are connected. I can't seem to make memories without ascribing a "sense" to them; be it smell, shape or sound. So I was curious, if this is simply a coping mechanism to deal withh ADD (in my case that is) or are others here aware of the own sense interconctedness, synesthesia?

fasttalkingmom
08-12-03, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure??????? .... This is something to look into

Jonathan
08-12-03, 08:36 AM
I read something on synaesthesia (British spelling retains the a from the original 'ś', US drops it - I suppose Canadians can take their pick - ?) a while ago, but sadly can now do no more than comment on spelling variants. No, but seriously, I think it was in an account by Luria ('The Mind of a Mnemonist'), a famous Russian psychologist, of a man with seemingly perfect memory who also had synaesthesia, and, if I remember right, I think it was noted that memory prodigies, people with eidetic (photographic) memory etc tend to be synaesthetic, to varying degrees. On a more everyday level, a common technique for memory stunts is to associate smells/sounds/tastes etc with items, ie to use all the senses.

Personally, I am not very synaesthetic, though if we somehow all are to some extent, then I would guess I am more so than average (does that make sense? must sound contrived, even if it does!...).

I do associate smell with reminiscing - I think we all do, though. It may be that ADDers make (and reproduce) associations (between heterogeneous items) more strongly, though I always thought that with true synaesthesia, one sense was somehow directly - without mediation eg through recollection - experienced as another kind. Then again, I am not sure now whether it's meaningful to distinguish between 'direct' and 'mediated' stimulation in the way I imagined this. Hmmm...

why
08-12-03, 08:56 AM
Well, this is exactly the tripping point for me as well. I think that my "synaesthesia" is most likely contrived or mediated. Perhaps what ever makes the ADD mind jump from item to item is also responsible for interconecting the senses. To put it another way - whatever it is the gives us the parallelism to think about X number of items simultaneously may also allow us to sense in the same way. I find that no one (amongst my likely non-ADD peers)experiences things so completely (as long as the thing is interesting). Whenever a discussion ensues afterwards I am constantly surprised by how much was missed by them. This also results in my being unable to communicate my experience very well because I tend to be very long winded; there is lots to explain!

Oh well, I was curious, I asked, you responded (most of you by NOT responding - which is a response in itself). Now that I have finally found others "like me", I am naturally seeking to see where the "borders" of that likeness lie. Cheers!

smooch
08-12-03, 12:42 PM
I have heard of this...saw a report on Dateline of 48 Hours or some such news show. It was fascinating to me...people hearing colors and smelling words, etc....what a wonderful and unique way to experience the world!

Well, this is exactly the tripping point for me as well. I think that my "synaesthesia" is most likely contrived or mediated.

I believe this is the same thing with me. Certain smells always remind me of the same places/experience/person for as far back as I can remember in my life. I don't believe I have the purest form of this ability.

We ADDers are so intuitive, and we are able to perceive and experience sooo much more from this world than what non-ADDers are able to perceive and experience.... I wouldn't trade that ability for the world, but I agree with you, w, it can be so very frustrating to communicate what's inside me because the things I "know" are all crowding my brain with feelings and words and pictures and sounds.... Some things in my brain are so complex, and even though I understand them (as probably would others) I get overwhelmed with trying to communicate them.

I'm having a deja-vu...did I write something like this somewhere else on this forum???

waywardclam
08-15-03, 04:04 PM
I have different sensory things to report. Not much synaesthesia, and in fact, not a very acute sense of taste or smell.

But my senses of sight, hearing, and touch are prone to overwhelming sensation sometimes. I get completely rapturously lost in a sunset or my favourite music, for example...

ADDSCTmehave
05-03-09, 02:13 AM
I'm curious to see if anyone else here feels that they may be mildly (or otherwise) synesthetic? If you don't know what that is, it is the connection of two or more senses, colors that smell, shapes that sound a certain way or sounds that "look" a certain way, etc. Personaly I "see" sound. Now I'm not a full on synesthete (spell?). My experience is very mild, but nearly all my senses are connected. I can't seem to make memories without ascribing a "sense" to them; be it smell, shape or sound. So I was curious, if this is simply a coping mechanism to deal withh ADD (in my case that is) or are others here aware of the own sense interconctedness, synesthesia?

Yes i can see music. I've always seen it. I love boogie its pink, and green, and sometimes yellow. Spanish is red. Midleastern contains purple (which is rare). Folk and country are yellow. And most music is blue i suppose..

found out it was abnormal when i was 15

γ-quantum
05-03-09, 06:08 AM
hmm, not sure if its synesthesia, but some words used to appear ugly for me... some words were SO ugly, i could hardly take it, though i didnt have a bad association with the meaning of the word or anything.

but, as i learned another language (english, while german is my mother language), this has almost disappeared. words that were ugly in german might have a nice word in english , so i cant really associate good or bad feelings to words anymore. i'm sort of 'cured' due to learning a second language... kinda fascinating.

i feel that numbers have a shape, though. my phone number (landline) is very beautiful, it looks like this:

http://kram.homelinux.net/phoneno.jpg

does that make sense to anybody?

it doesnt have a color though, it just has a geometric shape, but i'm displaying it in black so it's visible at all. ;)

stef
05-03-09, 12:16 PM
woohoo yes! taste synesthasia - about 50-75% of words have a specific taste associated to them.
percent: tastes like maple syrup. I'd often change a few words when rereading an essay or something because the sentence "didn't taste right". (essay: tastes like a "daim" chocolate bar; oh I think those were called "skor" in the US).
it's kinda fun! (fun=mustard taste)

Im Jason
05-03-09, 04:18 PM
I guess when I hear something I instantly think of a color/person/place

Don't really think that counts though

Or person triggers color/ place.

melby1980
05-31-09, 11:56 PM
Not sure if this is even related to it, but certain sounds, particularly sudden loud sounds, like a book being slammed down in a quiet room, cause physical pain throughout my entire body.

Aoife_B
10-09-09, 05:02 PM
I associate people with colours, like when I see them I can 'see' their colour, I also do the same with numbers and letters. Not sure if this would be considered synesthesia though.

stef
10-09-09, 06:52 PM
that's exactly synesthesia, actually.

Bobthebuilder
10-28-09, 09:07 PM
Percent tastes like maple syrup?!

****... the human brain is simply amazing. Its hard to imagine seeing sounds, tasting colors and what not... But after doing LSD and mushrooms its a bit easier.

After all, color, sound, and taste is all an illusion... a chemical reaction

stef
10-29-09, 05:16 AM
It really does!
I am in a band and our director associates music with colors - once in a while he'll say "that sounds good - try to play that same color again" LSD and mushrooms..? yikes.

Bobthebuilder
10-29-09, 07:22 AM
Higher doses of some psychedelics have Synesthesia as a side effect. Only thing like this i experienced was when I ate a hard candy there was an orange hue shift... I was more distracted by the intense burst of flavor in my mouth though. There were too many colors moving around to begin with anyway

So I knew such a thing existed, but that there were so many different combinations really fascinates me. Sounds become shapes/colors, tastes become colors, numbers become colors or have personalities... Its all just so WACKY!. Wikipedia says 1 in 23 have some form of synesthesia. So relating it to ADD might prove difficult... I noticed I search this forum for everything weird about myself and always find something, and I bet a lot of people do that, especially with something as strange as this. So I'm not really as surprised as usually am to find this here.

BUT! interestingly enough.. what led me here, My roommate revealed to a bunch of us that he has assigned genders and minor personality traits to numbers and letters.(Lol I must say it really sounds like something you'd have to be on drugs to come up with... its just so ungraspable...) And I believe more and more that he has ADD, for one it seems like we are on the same planet. But he sees a psychiatrist for depression and he definitely has some OCD.

I can see this relating to OCD better than ADD... at least his Numbers->personalities form. I dunno though...

THe interwebs seems to say this is "Automatic and involuntary"... but logic tells me something about the word PERCENT makes it taste like maple syrup.. Either theres a formula, or its some psychological association that goes back to youth.

stef
10-29-09, 07:57 AM
BUT! interestingly enough.. what led me here, My roommate revealed to a bunch of us that he has assigned genders and minor personality traits to numbers and letters.(Lol I must say it really sounds like something you'd have to be on drugs to come up with... its just so ungraspable...) And I believe more and more that he has ADD, for one it seems like we are on the same planet. But he sees a psychiatrist for depression and he definitely has some OCD.

I can see this relating to OCD better than ADD... at least his Numbers->personalities form. I dunno though...

THe interwebs seems to say this is "Automatic and involuntary"... but logic tells me something about the word PERCENT makes it taste like maple syrup.. Either theres a formula, or its some psychological association that goes back to youth.

Hmm that number personality thing, does not seem so strange..
7's would be very snippy, 8's kind of lazy I would say.

For percent , I'm sure there was some brand of syrup that was "2% butter". some though, I just can't explain.

Derp
04-20-10, 05:49 PM
hmm.. Once i was at a party under the influence of 'something', went to the toilet and noticed that over laying my vision was a slight layer of speckles, like when the tv isn't tuned. This was flexing to the base beat of the music. Interesting experience, seeing music! :)

oliverthered
04-29-10, 05:50 AM
Everyone get's it (at least to some extent).

Think for instance about celling music 'dark'.

Colour is a term that is commonly used for music, it's to do with the richness and vibrance. Though not called green, red, etc... you could easily see how things could be associated.

With me, there's some things.
For instance, different type of emotive music when played very loud, causes shadows etc.. to become a bit stronger weaker.

Things like, up, pressure on my back lifting me, warmth come together. If you think about it the sun is up and provides warmth, pressure lifting is a slight warming sensation, comfort.
Also down, release of pressure, coolness, solitude, relaxation.

At night it's cold, people are called cold or warm people, dark and mysterious.

Do you have a favorite number or color, how does it make you feel or think, do you have a lucky number etc....

There's a huge amount of sensory and perception crossover, colours, numbers and other things can easily get thrown in the mix. Especially when their things that have scales etc.... associations can be more dynamic.

PickMeUpRoadie
05-02-10, 07:40 PM
Higher doses of some psychedelics have Synesthesia as a side effect. Only thing like this i experienced was when I ate a hard candy there was an orange hue shift... I was more distracted by the intense burst of flavor in my mouth though. There were too many colors moving around to begin with anyway

So I knew such a thing existed, but that there were so many different combinations really fascinates me. Sounds become shapes/colors, tastes become colors, numbers become colors or have personalities... Its all just so WACKY!. Wikipedia says 1 in 23 have some form of synesthesia. So relating it to ADD might prove difficult... I noticed I search this forum for everything weird about myself and always find something, and I bet a lot of people do that, especially with something as strange as this. So I'm not really as surprised as usually am to find this here.

When I was in elementary school, I would assign colors and shapes to people. Tiereny (sp?) was an orange triangle, Amanda was a blue square, and amanada's best friend (i forget the name right now) was a purple rectangle.

Blueranne
01-27-11, 12:30 AM
Ok, I came across this thread because I was searching for LSD topics. Unfortunately, I still haven't found an answer for what I'm looking for. Maybe I will pose my question in a new thread but, I just wanted to add to this conversation.

I have ADHD and GAD. I also have sensory sensitivity issues and mild Synesthesia. Ever since I can remember, kindergarten-ish, I've associated colors with numbers and letters. I recognize the letter A with yellowish qualities and think "7". There are other weird connections between the other senses and even my emotions and memories but, I don't want my post to be 10 paragraphs long so, I will leave it at that.

The thing I find interesting kind of contradicts what I think some of you were saying. I dabbled with a few recreational drugs in high school and since then have had LESS synesthesia. I have had more problems related to ADHD though, duh!

Any way, I'm kinda hyperfocussing now and am sure this will be of no use to anyone except, maybe, as mild entertainment.... Now onto finding more info on the long term damage of LSD. Any experts?

Bobthebuilder
01-28-11, 05:46 PM
First off I'm no expert, I'm a beginner in terms of recreational drugs. So don't take anything I say as fact.

The human eye takes in a ridiculous amount of information, which then gets processed and simplified by the brain.. So what we see in the world is only a small percentage of what we theoretically could see. Babies see the world completely different because their sensory filters are not fully developed. LSD makes you see the world completely differently because it modifies and inhibits sensory filters. So because of this, many scientists think that we are all born synesthetic, and as our sensory filter develops we grow out of it... and 1/23 don't.

I like this idea because its true that LSD kinda makes you feel like a kid again. You become an observer in an unfamiliar world, and your senses become overloaded.

So I think the only long term damage LSD would do, would be to make you feel like an observer in an unfamiliar world, and probably make the world seem more bland and boring.
However, I really don't think DABBLING would create long term damage. I think it would take many powerful journeys to this unfamiliar world to **** with the real world.

Naturally everything we do changes the brain.. The more powerful the experience, the more changes get made and the more often we do something, the more those changes get reinforced.
What those changes are probably varies person to person(I love trees more than ever now because of LSD)... and its probably gonna be a while before we really understand the brain

Blueranne
01-28-11, 10:05 PM
Thanks for replying again. I was starting to think this thread along with my reply would slip back into nowhere land.

Maybe, you wouldn't mind entertaining me further with more of your opinion. Have you ever heard the urban tale that if you trip on LSD more than 7 times then you become unchangeably insane? It sounds ridiculous but, that's what we told eachother, my friends and I, in highschool. Maybe it was to kind of keep each other in check and have a stopping point. Any way, I took that trip a few more times than 7 LOL.

Maybe I should just google my exact questions.... But, by any chance would you happen to know of any research or studies done on long term mental health damage and psychedelics drug use?

By no means am I proud of my past use but, when I said dabbled, what I should have said was a 4 year continuous, daily, use of pot. And maybe a dozen trips on LSD in 4 years.... I don't really want to list every single drug I've even done (there's more) but, I just wish there was a way of knowing what symptoms are linked to the damage of drugs and what is ADHD.

And if anyone is curious, I've been clean now for over 10 years.

fracturedstory
02-08-11, 01:52 AM
I can taste/feel or hear colours, words/numbers, dates, etc without the use of drugs.
I can also taste and smell memories.

I like this idea because its true that LSD kinda makes you feel like a kid again. You become an observer in an unfamiliar world, and your senses become overloaded.

That's pretty much how I experience the world.

Bobthebuilder
02-08-11, 06:16 PM
lol I almost replied a bunch of times, sorry about the delay. You're more experienced then me in terms of drug use, and your older than me (I'm only 21)

Um In terms of long term mental damage from LSD use, the only info out there is on people with pre-existing Schizophrenia... Honestly I think daily marijuana use has got to be worse than 12 acid trips... Unless you keep having crazy LSD trips where you saw monsters and all kinds of f**ked up sh!7. I've only been to the level where you see pretty complex patterns and colors and still have some connection with reality, and I think it has had more positive effect on me than negative.

If the govt didnt shut down LSD research in the 60's we'd know a lot more about it. They started experimenting with it again recently though, and pretty much every experiment I've heard about has been highly positive

Blueranne
02-08-11, 08:57 PM
lol I almost replied a bunch of times, sorry about the delay. You're more experienced then me in terms of drug use, and your older than me (I'm only 21)

Um In terms of long term mental damage from LSD use, the only info out there is on people with pre-existing Schizophrenia... Honestly I think daily marijuana use has got to be worse than 12 acid trips... Unless you keep having crazy LSD trips where you saw monsters and all kinds of f**ked up sh!7. I've only been to the level where you see pretty complex patterns and colors and still have some connection with reality, and I think it has had more positive effect on me than negative.

If the govt didnt shut down LSD research in the 60's we'd know a lot more about it. They started experimenting with it again recently though, and pretty much every experiment I've heard about has been highly positive

Positive?! Like in training CIA ops on what to expect when they are being "compromised" or some shnip like that?!

Thanks for the reply I guess but, I think you are crazy if you do LSD for fun. YES, I can say that because I know first hand.... Sure, the actual "trip" is fun but, don't you feel F'd up for the next few days after?...

THE #1 WORST THING I have ever done was to play around with all that crap.

Bobthebuilder
02-08-11, 09:43 PM
yeah lol positive. They've given it to terminal cancer patients and other people about to die.. They basically had a very positive spiritual experience and it helped them to accept their fate.
Theres numerous stories of alcoholics who used LSD in a therapy sorta situation and quit cold turkey.
Also they gave LSD to a bunch of scientists and engineers working on important projects, and they all described the experience as positive.. The electric engineer was able to physically see the circuit board he was designing and how it worked and the experience helped him solve a lot of problems.
lol I think theres actually a bunch of LSD induced inventions/discoveries

http://www.miqel.com/entheogens/francis_crick_dna_lsd.html

here this is about chronic LSD use
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_journal3.shtml
These people used acid ALOT... but I'm under the impression that a small dose every 3-6 months in a good homey environment will not do much harm

I only felt strange for 24 hours after trying it.. My mental capacity was there, I just felt agitated/restless

Oh and EROWID is a great site for answering any questions you have about drugs.. Their LSD section is especially loaded with information

Blueranne
02-08-11, 09:46 PM
Why are you doing or why did you try LSD?

undermythumb
02-08-11, 09:50 PM
It's nearly 2am and I have to go to sleep before my defiant side convinces me to stay up for another 5 hours, so I can't read this thread right now, but I just wanted to quickly share a cool video I watched a couple of weeks ago about synesthesia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZEL31Mq2OA&feature=player_embedded

Blueranne
02-08-11, 10:01 PM
Wow! That was crazy! My synesthia was/is very very mild.... Hahaha

I bet that video is a huge hit for druggies!

Bobthebuilder
02-09-11, 01:20 AM
Why are you doing or why did you try LSD?

B/C I'm convinced that Alcohol is worse than LSD
Its the dose and the frequency that you need to be careful with with any drug, and Alcohol is very easy to overdose, and a lot of people do it too frequently. I've had some terrible experiences, and I have heard numerous worse stories
Actually the hangover i got from Delysid was more like a reminder of the amazing night I had, I felt restless and agitated... some sort of excitement as if I just won the lottery or something. Where as with alcohol i usually just feel like ****.

Also B/C I've always been a very curious open-minded individual. A trait I can track back to age 7.

Dorsolateral
02-20-11, 05:35 PM
Music is colors and global patterns with little dancing variable gems thrown in and and feelings, shallow to way too deep with colors associated ,all inter-playing, and smells have colors as do tastes, and I think I have tasted sounds and heard colors...its subtle yet comes in flashes.....or sometimes as a backdrop for seconds to minutes.Or as a mood ...like wandering in a field for hours.

Dorsolateral
02-20-11, 05:40 PM
Mescaline is quite interesting, as a tool in psychiatric terms,....so I have heard....

Bobthebuilder
02-20-11, 11:36 PM
Mescaline is quite interesting, as a tool in psychiatric terms,....so I have heard....

Its always bothered me that researching drugs is so restricted. Yeah all this stuff shouldn't be in the hands of you're average idiot, but the best way to learn about how the brain works has always been by studying the abnormal, not by studying the normal.

m1trLG2
03-18-11, 04:14 AM
This sounds silly but I can "see" emotions. This has helped me immensely in my job but can also be sometimes overwhelming. I don't even know how to describe it. It's not a glow like light but there are colors associated with it. Just not in the sense that I think can be described. I don't know. I just thought I'd add this.

fracturedstory
03-26-11, 06:03 AM
I can literally see red in peoples emotions. It isn't hard to guess which one.

Simenora
05-03-11, 01:22 AM
, it is the connection of two or more senses, colors that smell, shapes that sound a certain way or sounds that "look" a certain way, etc. Personaly I "see" sound.

I have been trying to get my head around this for years. I wrote a poem about it a while back.people said I was a little eccentric.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:TargetScreenSize>800x600</o:TargetScreenSize> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:DoNotShowComments/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} </style> <![endif]-->
Square peg

i see music
i hear colour
i dance to the rhythm
of a different drummer
my step is removed
from the well trodden path
i only look forward
never look back
i stand out in the throng
i talk a great deal
i think too much
my words are a shield
i donít fit in the hole
I will not belong
whatever I do
it is so often wrong
i often contemplate
how it would be
to go through life
more quietly
to make no wave
to sleep at night
I shall never behave
I will seldom be right.

pooka
05-03-11, 01:35 AM
I feel like a lot of young kids are mildly synesthetic but grow out of it, but that's just a speculation of mine. I'm not sure if this is a form of synesthesia or not, but when I was younger I thought that numbers had personalities, and those personalities still kind of resonate with me. For instance, 1 was kind of a stuck up woman. 2 was a young boy, outgoing and confident. 4 was my favorite because 4 was kind of like me - feminine but not a girly girl, outgoing but could sometimes be shy. And 4 was always happy. I also liked 8 because she was very sophisticated and elegant.