View Full Version : First Day Of School Today!!!!!!

Rainbows
08-11-14, 12:44 PM
Keep your fingers crossed for him please!!!!!! He just started the third grade and had a great/ then bad/ then great morning before school. Was happy when he was there and he has his 10mg Daytrana patch on! Of course I can already tell it will be need to be a bit higher( been on it since last Friday). His teacher knows of his ADHD( whole school knows) which is a good thing, they are good with him. This teacher is strict, so homework starts tonight I believe!!!

My daughter doesnt have the same issue but , as you all know, as a parent I have to mention her and her first day is also today but new school, 9th grade! High school is a big deal, so if you can, keep your fingers crossed for her too!( she has other issues) Thanks in advance!!!

Good luck to all of your kiddos too! Hugs

Rainbows
08-12-14, 08:07 AM
Well, at least this thread is getting viewed! I guess If its ok, maybe I can use this thread as a blog of sorts? Anyways, he forgot to give the teacher the note about his patch that they wanted, he lost or someone took his lunch menu for the month, no h.w. and over all he did well! But it all starts again this morning over 7 times to tell him to get up and get ready, same with my daughter. Even if they go to bed early, they still cant or wont get up, showers are a fight and schools inspect them their hygiene. When I nicely asked if he was getting ready, I got now again" Im not going now, shutup idiot." Well happy school morning to me! Im not fighting them, looks their both absent today, only second day :( I give rewards etc when they get up , be nice etc, it lasts one day is all.

stef
08-12-14, 08:44 AM
yikes this must not be easy.
could they take showers in the evening? especially your son.
I hope you can find some way to get them out the door every day!
But why are they starting school so early? it's only August 12...:grouphug:

silivrentoliel
08-12-14, 09:00 AM
the school checks their hygiene? Do they do that with all the kids? That seems kinda weird to me...

busymomonli
08-12-14, 10:05 AM
How do they do that, smell them? I would not want that job! I'm glad he did well, it takes a while to get back into the routine so it will get better in the morning.

I don't look forward to it, my son starts middle school this year. I anticipate a very tough year for the both of us. Luckily, we still have three weeks off.

Rainbows
08-12-14, 10:25 AM
stef- actually my son almost always takes showers in the evening, but its just him getting up in the morning no matter how much sleep he had, and in the mornings, it takes him forever to get ready because he is always stopping to do something else, playing mainly. Oh, they go to a private school so its earlier but equals to the same amount of days. Actually one of the public school districts started a week ago. Thank you.

silivrentoliel- well, yes, esp because they are a private school but if its noticeable too. And trust me, it can really be noticeable with my two at times. My neighbors daughter says they keep an eye out for issues and tell kids keep clean at her public school, but not like the private school. True tho... kinda weird. Thank you

busymomonli- No, I dont think they go up smelling them, I think if the smell is noticeable or they look like they haven't bathed..i.e oily dirty hair, dirt spots or idk what you call it, when one uses soap but needs a washcloth to remove "dirt" ( I haven't had my caffeine yet lol) He even said he feels his meds arent working and we need to go up 5 more or to 20! I was in shock last night. Well, he would know how he feels...I just know how he acts and what he does.

Good luck with your son, time flies by so fast, its kinda sad when my daughter went to middle school, its a big deal for them and us!!! I wish you both luck and tell him to stay strong and confident!!! Good luck! Thank you

Mom2GnJ
08-12-14, 08:36 PM
Hope you get the wrinkles ironed out!

Rainbows
08-13-14, 10:29 AM
Thank you Mom2GnJ! Im trying.

******Well, another bad morning, violence and two hour melt down and defiance almost late for school today and he didnt wear his patch.Plus his sis trouble getting going too. Uggh..

Mom2GnJ
08-13-14, 03:22 PM
:( Sorry.

zette93
08-13-14, 07:00 PM
Maybe you should try the "Plan B" method with him on this. Plan on this taking 3-4 conversations. First figure out when he is likely to be relaxed and open to talking, and give him a heads up, "I'd like to talk later about how our mornings are going."

In the first conversation, your goal is just to get him talking. "I've noticed it's been really difficult to get up and get ready for school. What's up?" Then let him rant. Just try to listen and find out everything he hates about the morning routine and about school.

If you're lucky, it will turn out there are specific things about the morning routine he hates and in the next conversation you can brainstorm solutions. "You really don't like it when I nag you to get out of bed. I wonder if there's a way to make getting up easier and still mak it to the bus on time?" Listen to his ideas, and even try them for a couple of days, before proposing your own. "Would it help if I turned on your favorite music and came back in 10 minutes?"

If you're unlucky, which I suspect is the case, it's school that is the main problem, not the morning routine itself. That will be a lot harder to find solutions, but at least you will have more information going forward.

Rainbows
08-14-14, 09:59 AM
Thanks, its just another day in Paradise here. Well, he says he likes his school, blames us as usual, always our fault he wont get ready, etc. The thing is its even on non school days, before he started Pre-K getting him to do anything that he didnt want to do was heck. I take that back there are some occasion he did, and a few other selected times we has to bribe him.

silivrentoliel
08-14-14, 10:15 AM
what if you used a reward at the end of the school day if he gets up and ready w/o pitching a fit?

Rainbows
08-14-14, 10:40 AM
I have done that too, he did ok for a day or two then it was right back to his attitude. We have done the sticker chart for rewards for games, food, privileges, nights he picks things,money etc. Also had the rules/consequences down on the refrig but that only lasted so long..Ill try again tho thank you

zette93
08-14-14, 05:28 PM
Do you understand what specifically he dislikes or has trouble with in the morning routine? Which bit sets off the tantrum?

Rainbows
08-15-14, 09:15 AM
See thats what Im trying to still figure out. Its not even the same things that set him off, its as if one day hes fine gets up and routine can be the exact same thing and something,anything sets him off. We even include the kids on what time they think they should get up, how long, what they want to do how etc to make it easier, but they dont even stick with what they want most of the time. Even when its something he wants to do, like go to Scouts he just doesnt get going. We let him choose what he wants to do, just so he/we can make sure we aren't forcing him and this makes it easier, so we thought.

One day we can be joking and looking at him, and the next day we do the same he screams "dont look at me" even if he was laughing a second ago. Thats the reason I think besides ADHD/ODD he has bipolar. One time he was laughing playing on the kitchen floor, watching me clean the counters. Well, I let him know I had to move his cup over a little, he looked at me,it was ok... and Ill move it back he blew and had a meltdown. The day before I did the same, he was fine. I just never know what sets him off besides not having his way. Idk, thats why its best I get a recorder of sorts so I can play it back and see whats going on. See what Im doing, whats hes doing etc. Oh it also depends the mood hes in and he will change his story on what he doesnt or does like about routine. So Im lost!! ( Time for my caffeine)

So far hes home again today.. New School for sure but deep down I feel I will have the same issues....Thanks Ill keep a closer eye to see

someothertime
08-15-14, 10:12 AM
yeah, also approach these things broadly aswell...

while immediate instruction can bring on a reaction... often it's last nights dessert, this weeks programme... no settling time...

aka... it will help to take a deep breath and step back when things become intense...

your doing an amazing job!

zette93
08-15-14, 05:15 PM
Have you tried asking him hours later, when he is calm, what made the morning so tough?

BlikeH20
08-20-14, 06:39 PM
Rainbow....thank you just for sharing your son's journey with school. I wish I had some sage advice, but mostly I'm just grateful to know I'm not alone. Hugs!!! Be encouraged, you're a supreme mother!