View Full Version : Methylphenidate Availibility

msbmsb
08-11-14, 05:57 PM
Hello all,
Ive been on methylphenidate 10 mgx4 per day for about 15 years. When overseas I usually get the generic; and usually from Walmart ($ 8), CVS or walgreens ($30 - 60). I had been overseas for about a year, and came back recently, last week got prescription in brooklyn, and have been trying calling most CVS, walgreens, walmart, and target pharmacies all over NYC, and NJ area. Apparently no one has them in stock. I even contacted some local pharmacies, but those cost upwards of $100 for 120 tabs.

Ive been out for a couple weeks now, and there is so much stuff I have to do that I just cannot accomplish, as I have an attention span of a grape fruit :(

I stumbled across this forum trying to search google for answers. Any help as to the availability of MPH 10mg, around NJ NYC would be greatly appreciated.

Jenn1202
08-11-14, 10:23 PM
You could ask them to special order methylphenidate for you and ask them how much it's going to cost. I've had a few of CVS stores special order ADD meds for me and it took them a couple of days. Only some CVS stores are willing to do this so you'd probably have to call several stores and ask.

msbmsb
08-11-14, 10:48 PM
Thanks, I did not know that.
Unfortunately, most of the pharmacies I go to the pharmacist usually gives me a look, as though I am committing some sort of a crime by asking them for the medication, which really prevents one from even asking any further questions, and are generally uncooperative.

Sorry ranting.......

namazu
08-11-14, 11:41 PM
You could ask them to special order methylphenidate for you and ask them how much it's going to cost. I've had a few of CVS stores special order ADD meds for me and it took them a couple of days. Only some CVS stores are willing to do this so you'd probably have to call several stores and ask.

I've had luck with my local CVS as well. For example, when I've had to travel, and needed larger than usual quantities because I was going to be out of the country for a few months, I "warned" them in advance that I was going to come back in a few days with a prescription for X amount that I would need filled by Y date. That way, they could order it to be sure they had the quantities in stock to fill it.

It could be that I just lucked upon a pharmacy with friendly, helpful staff, but I think it also helps that I fill all my prescriptions there every month, so they know me well, and know I'm not up to anything shady.

If there's a genuine shortage going on (and it does appear some formulations of methylphenidate are in short supply (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/default.cfm)), they may not be able to order it. But if it's just an issue of not having it in stock the day you arrive with the prescription, they should be able to order it.

If the shortage is only of the 10mg dose pills, your doctor might be able to write a prescription for 1/2 of a 20mg pill 4x/day, which is equivalent to what you're taking now.

msbmsb
08-12-14, 01:18 AM
It seems that CVS would probably be a better option. I was going nuts asking for 10mg's and 20 mg's, in quantities of 30, 60, 120; and that usually makes the pharmacist not wanna disclose too much, which is understandable.
Will probably go to NJ and order from there I guess.

Thanks

msbmsb
08-12-14, 01:23 AM
But it does seem strange how come I cant find it in NY, I mean its a big enough city, one pharmacist at a CVS in Long Island told me (over the phone) that its been a very long time since she actually filled this medication for someone. Is it a supply issue or is it demand issue. :confused:
Back in 2009-2010, I recall, it was difficult to get the med in New York, and I used to get it from NJ walmarts. But THEY dont seem to have it either this time around.