View Full Version : Anyone have tips for staying focused and controlling fidgeting?

lbolams
08-13-14, 02:05 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has tactics to avoid losing focus when talking to people. Usually if it is a short conversation under a minute I am ok, but anything longer and I will tend to zone out without realizing. When I realized I am too embaressed to ask them to repeat what they said. My other problem is fidgeting. My job atm involves me sitting at a desk all day and it drive me crazy. I constantly restless, moving my legs around, playing with pencils getting up all the time for no reason etc. Anyone have tips or advice?

flubio123
08-13-14, 12:48 PM
Eye contact helps me a lot. I force myself to maintain eye contact to the point of sometimes making people feel uncomfortable. Works in lectures too. Sometimes my focus goes elsewhere but when I come back I've got good enough at connecting the dots. Sometimes I admit it "Hey, I apologize but I zoned out there, would you mind explaining that to me one more time". Often people realize bits they've missed out and are happy to repeat themselves. Once it becomes a learned behavior it becomes easier and easier. <-- One of my favorite developed social traits. Also, if people won't look you in the eye just keep at it too! Some people are uncomfortable but it's nothing about you - that's in their own court/head.

lbolams
08-13-14, 07:31 PM
Hey,

Thank you for your advice, will give it a shot. Although to be honest, I`m terrible at maintaining eye contact, for some reason it feel awkward. But yea will work on it. Do you take medication? If so does it help with focus and attention? But I know meds are not always the answer

sarahsweets
08-14-14, 04:52 AM
Duct tape and rope. ;)

Darkneko
08-14-14, 05:37 AM
Depends on what makes you hyperfocus...so listening to music helps me. When I need to sit for ages like when studying, going for short walks around the uni helps when I get too restless.

Benji X
08-25-14, 05:23 AM
I lost all fidgeting when I was on methylphenidates. Atomoxetine had no effect on fidgeting.

Zoning out is harder to loose. Many people are boring. They talk about boring stuff, in a boring, monotonous voice. Then our brains will automatically find other occupations. Office environment can be particularly boring. If one could focus all mind power to the subject at hand somehow, maybe that would help. I've never been able to, but good luck.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 06:37 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has tactics to avoid losing focus when talking to people. Usually if it is a short conversation under a minute I am ok, but anything longer and I will tend to zone out without realizing. When I realized I am too embaressed to ask them to repeat what they said. My other problem is fidgeting. My job atm involves me sitting at a desk all day and it drive me crazy. I constantly restless, moving my legs around, playing with pencils getting up all the time for no reason etc. Anyone have tips or advice?

I think it all depends on whether you're interested in what is being talked about.

I generally find that I'm not in which case ... ... it isn't ever going to be possible to pay attention.

I think you need to somehow work out how to get people to talk about something you want to talk about - and you'll find yourself (then) paying attention.

Starter11
08-25-14, 07:13 PM
FEAR. Figure out what bad might happen if you can't keep focused, write it down, and remind yourself of what to be afraid, when your thoughts stray.

GettingBetter
08-25-14, 07:40 PM
Personally I keep an old broken pocketwatch and wind it when I can't think. It gives me something subtle to do with my hands and no one but me knows it's broken. I find that once I have something to occupy myself, it's easier for me to focus

Corina86
08-26-14, 09:32 AM
The best way to keep focused is to take notes. I don't do it with friends and family, but I do it often with clients and my boss, especially when something is being explained to me. It's great, because I also have a very poor memory and I always find use for what I write.

As for the fidgeting, I don't try to fight it, because it actually helps me focus better in conversations and relieve some tension. Just try not to make noise or you'll bother you colleagues. I have a rubber ball I squeeze, I move my legs under the desk and fidget with my hair a lot- it looks stupid, but most people will ignore they're colleagues' behavior after a while, unless it's really bothersome.

Btw, I have the same boring office job for 4 and a half years now. I don't want to quit it though, because it pays well.