View Full Version : Ritalin equals raised cortisol equals fat gain?

petedavis
08-13-14, 12:23 PM
I take ritalin,more than I should to keep up. I know initially years ago it was great. Now I find myself wanting to take more and more to keep me going. I am heavy, heavier than I ever have been. I wonder if this is the missing ingredient. Calories in and out is not everything. Cortisol can make you gain weight. Any stress can signal a famine to your body and you keep or gain fat. The body does not know you are stressed from work, ritalin, or trying to survive cold. I do get tired often and need frequent bumps to get up only to fall back down.

425runner
08-15-14, 08:23 PM
Hmm...I don't know if it's from Ritalin. I've gained weight - fat, because of Prozac. After a few months I noticed that all my muscle mass turned into fat...literally...I pinch my thigh and it looks like cottage cheese...the muscle tone is gone. Also, my biceps dissapeared and my stomach is very...very...fatty...used to be a solid six pack.

Reason I know it's from Prozac becuase I've taken Dexedrine alone or Vyvanse and this never happened. But after a while on SSRI - this is the result, along with flat mood and no emotions. No energy/enthusiasm to work out either and I used to hit the weights 4-5 times a week.

Maybe try Rhodiola Rosea, it's an adaptogen, and Ashwaganhda -they'll balance out your cortisol. If it's too high they'll bring it back to normal.

equilibrium
09-02-14, 12:49 PM
Curious because I actually mentioned this to my Dr. I have been gaining weight on ritalin for the past year, have humpback (signs of high cortisol) yet no one will test my levels.

Jenn1202
09-02-14, 10:54 PM
I was on 40-60mg/day of Ritalin for years and it never made me gain weight. You may want to see your primary care doctor just to make sure there's nothing else going on that's making you gain weight (e.g. hypothyroidism).

Equilibrium, if you want to get your cortisol levels checked, you could get a cortisol kit on Amazon (if you can afford it...). Also, functional/integrative medicine doctors tend to check saliva cortisol levels, but these tests are expensive because most insurance companies don't cover them. You could try getting a referral to an endocrinologist to see if they'll check you cortisol and possibly other hormones that can make you gain weight. If your doctor refuses to give you a referral and your insurance allows it, it may be a good idea to see another doctor.

sarahsweets
09-03-14, 04:19 AM
I've never heard of Ritalin affecting cortisol. Can you share some sources so I can read up on this?

Pilgrim
09-03-14, 06:43 AM
Just to put my 10 cents worth here. I don't think Ritalin could adversely affect cortisol levels to an extent that it would cause weight gane.
If anything because it effects other processes in the body it would probably cause weight loss.
Look at your diet. Exercise is important.
Goodluck

Jenn1202
09-07-14, 12:21 AM
I've never heard of Ritalin affecting cortisol. Can you share some sources so I can read up on this?

I've head of Ritalin causing adrenal fatigue. Maybe this be related to cortisol and weight gain somehow...

Flory
09-07-14, 02:05 AM
Sounds a bit like bro science