View Full Version : Robin Williams DIDN'T Kill Himself

Stevuke79
08-13-14, 03:55 PM
He didn't kill himself. He didn't "commit" suicide.

He died of an illness. He succumbed to a disease that is every bit as deadly and beyond his control as cancer or Huntington's. I wish we knew better than to be so careless in our phrasing.

addthree
08-13-14, 07:08 PM
Your right he succumbed to his dissease. Pretty sad for anyone not just mr. Williams.

brunski
08-15-14, 11:57 AM
When I heard about Robin Williams' death ( I was in school at the time) I said the he lost to his illness (or words to that effect). His illness finally beat him may he forever live in peace now.

Greyhound1
08-16-14, 12:25 AM
Steve your thread has brought up some interesting, disturbing and puzzling thoughts in my brain.

It caught my attention when you first posted it because I was angry at him and felt like he did commit a selfish act. I am so glad my medication convinced me not to respond to your thread at the time. He hurt me and so many others. I wasn't ready to shift the responsibility to depression or a disease.

I have been upset angry and feeling sad since I heard the news.
Part of me is still angry about all the pain his death has caused his family and the world. I also feel horrible about the misery and suffering he must have been going through.

Each day my feelings have changed from anger towards empathy. Finally, I think I can agree with the title of this thread. It has helped me to realize I was the one being selfish.

doiadhd
08-16-14, 12:35 AM
It never makes sense to me how the rich and famous,also powerful. . .end up this way,not blaming them or us the public,but the reasons behind these,medicated over dose famous suicides,just like the rich n famous,powerful being assasinated. We have michael jackson,robin williams,marylin monroe,etc and then there's jfk,john lennon etc the lists build up quite high,with no solidity to any of the stories behind the deaths. I was a fan of robin williams.

fracturedstory
08-16-14, 04:02 AM
He had bipolar. Depression from that + depression from heart surgery + depression from finding out he had Parkinson's disease was all just too much for him.

It actually does make sense.

I don't get the thread title. Are we so sensitive now that everyone who commits suicide actually died of an illness? He hung himself. I don't know what's so wrong in saying that he killed himself. The term 'committed suicide' may as well not exist if these people are dying of illnesses and are not actually ending their own lives.

I will probably fall into depression soon where I will try to fight my thoughts of 'dying of an illness' so I can keep going on.

People dying of cancer isn't the same as killing themselves. For the latter they commit and act, with cancer their death is out of their control or they feel it's a right time to give up mentally and emotionally and just slip away.

I don't get the anger either. I want him back but I was never angry at him. He had a rich life and touched many.

clydethompson
08-16-14, 08:31 AM
Honestly, I'll just speak for myself here, taking your life is just that-- PERSONAL CHOICE. Robin Williams death just happened to coincide with my ish and its extremely frustrating to hear people constantly saying any iteration of 'he lost the fight/didn't kill himself'. It's maddening. Is it wrong for someone to have control over their life? To fight it and be as successful as he was for so long is admirable. Nothing short.

Careless phrasing indeed. Suicide is not selfish. I don't very much care for a society that believes this is a selfish act, to shame those passed on-- tortured by depression or other disorders-- is incredibly disrespectful.

He decided when was enough and chose how to go. It's a tragic loss, but respect the man in passing.

mildadhd
08-16-14, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XlpVcO4hg

fracturedstory
08-17-14, 10:58 PM
Ok, I realise now me calling people over sensitive might have been a little bit insulting.

I'm still not sure why but sorry if I upset anybody.

Lunacie
08-18-14, 06:25 PM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=884725

Rob Schneider tweets that Big Bad Pharma led to Robin William's suicide.
He says RW was taking meds for Parkinson's that may cause suicidal ideation.

Just another dig at the people who make meds, or did the meds kill RW?

Stevuke79
08-19-14, 04:52 AM
Honestly, I'll just speak for myself here, taking your life is just that-- PERSONAL CHOICE. Robin Williams death just happened to coincide with my ish and its extremely frustrating to hear people constantly saying any iteration of 'he lost the fight/didn't kill himself'. It's maddening. Is it wrong for someone to have control over their life? To fight it and be as successful as he was for so long is admirable. Nothing short.

Careless phrasing indeed. Suicide is not selfish. I don't very much care for a society that believes this is a selfish act, to shame those passed on-- tortured by depression or other disorders-- is incredibly disrespectful.

He decided when was enough and chose how to go. It's a tragic loss, but respect the man in passing.

I think fractured and greyhound are referring to the same question.

My post is mostly in regards to a lot of the judgement and criticism in the media that has come out about this. I think people get to make their own decision about their life - but I think the criticism and judgement is regardless of that and focuses on the decision itself. I'm simply saying that he's not truly responsible for that decision.

fracturedstory
08-20-14, 12:21 AM
I can see what you mean and there has been a bit of blaming going around the internet lately regarding Robin Williams decision. I'm trying to get my head around it. Someone said they understand why he did it but they still think it was wrong. Well, of course it's wrong. It's not really about that.

I suppose people will have their opinions.

I also think after more awareness and acceptance as depression as a serious mental disorder people are thinking that those who take their life have no choice but to. Yes, the illness put the thoughts and feelings into a person's head so influences that decision, but you can fight it. I've been feeling mildly suicidal today but I think it's passed. I also get into serious episodes where I want to badly but just allow the thoughts to pass through me until it's over.
I think we need to tell those who are suddenly accepting depression as a real mental disorder that people can avoid killing themselves. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding something, again.

I actually got called ignorant for criticising the whole 'he died of an illness' even after saying I used to be suicidal 6-10 days of the month.

fracturedstory
08-20-14, 12:24 AM

Sound like a dig to me.
We will never know for sure if the meds led to his suicide.
Suicide is a side effect to many drugs.

Ritalin made me manic but I don't blame Big Pharma for that. It was a side effect. Big Pharma don't deliberately give you those side effects. Some conspiracy theorists think otherwise, but that is why they are called conspiracy theorists.

Who would not take meds for Parkinson's? MJ Fox does.

doiadhd
08-20-14, 12:34 AM
To me its more of a strength than a weakness,to have these thoughts,first one has to be unhappy/sad,maybe a severe sense of reality and bad luck,to cope with these thoughts,is a strength,and yes we can get used to them,with the strength. . .the longer you carry on not ending life is a sign of great strength,then there's the committing the end of one's life which takes tremendous courage and strengh,although very upsetting and sad,supposedly sinful,but thats in the eye of the beholder. I've had that chat with myself a long time ago,i wont let any one else on this earth make me do that,no matter what they do or say to me,circumstances,are just that,circumstantial,who knows whats around the corner,maybe a manic day,kidding,but you know,maybe we can feel better again,we have been there before also,he led a full life and choose that time,we should be thankful it wasnt sooner,i grew up on mork n mindy and good will hunting prob my favourite film.

someothertime
08-20-14, 03:38 AM
further to above... it took this for me to, for the first time...

see mental "illness" JUSt as neurodiversity.... no disease, no "demon"... just people with differences... ( please, in no way am i intending to deminish the hardships we all face, nor is that a catch all statement... ). why has everyone got to say "demon"... whats wrong with emotionally sensitive... oh, that's right.... it's percieved as weakness.... we have to blame demons....

Robyn it was your sensitivity that you shared with us, and I for one see it as a shining light.

thankyou once again RW... i only see courage

MADD As A Hatte
08-20-14, 10:16 AM
... bipolar.

As far as my research shows, RW only ever talked about having ADD. He did not ever say he actually had a bipolar diagnosis. I could be wrong. It would be really helpful if you could please provide links to your references?

Andi
08-20-14, 12:08 PM

Having been on a myriad of meds I can say that there have been meds that caused me to feel suicidal and there have been meds that have made me so angry I wanted to smack people, smash and destroy things. Meds really are a mix bag of amazing and dangerous. What's heart breaking is you don't know they're dangerous until it's too late.

It's absolutely heart breaking that we have lost this amazing man. I can't say that I was a fan of all of his work but the number of memorable films, charitable causes, stand-up, etc. that he gave to the world is a true marvel. When they say he really had no peers, how true. We are not aware of anyone that could process the way he could. He will be missed by many.

fracturedstory
08-20-14, 11:42 PM
As far as my research shows, RW only ever talked about having ADD. He did not ever say he actually had a bipolar diagnosis. I could be wrong. It would be really helpful if you could please provide links to your references?
It would be more useful if you could provide links to him talking about his ADHD.

If you've followed my posts you'd know I actually haven't found any evidence on him having bipolar or ADHD.

People are still saying he had bipolar though.

I'm now thinking ADHD is more likely and I wonder if the media will ever say he did if they find out about it.

fracturedstory
08-20-14, 11:47 PM
further to above... it took this for me to, for the first time...

see mental "illness" JUSt as neurodiversity.... no disease, no "demon"... just people with differences... ( please, in no way am i intending to deminish the hardships we all face, nor is that a catch all statement... ). why has everyone got to say "demon"... whats wrong with emotionally sensitive... oh, that's right.... it's percieved as weakness.... we have to blame demons....

Robyn it was your sensitivity that you shared with us, and I for one see it as a shining light.

thankyou once again RW... i only see courage
No I see people say 'demons' as a very archaic thing. In the ancient times people with mental illnesses were said to have demonic possession, and I think the term 'demon' has lived on from there.

By the way, I hate when people say a mental illness is a demon too. I was actually prayed over when I had depression. My mum thought I had a demon but I think I was depressed because of the pressure put on me in church.