View Full Version : Adult ADHD and Sensory Gating disorder

QuietPlease72
08-13-14, 06:24 PM
I was wondering how many others have these two issues combined. I have such a hard time with sounds. People speaking too loud or speaking constantly. Trying to work in my office but hearing conversations in other parts of the house. Repetitive noises can make me homicidal...lol...I have no ability to shut out sounds that are irrelevant to me. I generally don't like kids (i have two of mine and two step kids) because they are too noisy for me. I absolutely have to have a certain amount of time every week of peaceful work and me time to feel normal. Anyone else?

Lunacie
08-13-14, 07:39 PM
Yes, there are quite a few of us here. There have been other threads on the topic.

When I first started learning about it, it was called Sensory Integration Disorder.
That changed to Sensory Processing Disorder.
I've never heard it called Sensory Gating Disorder.

QuietPlease72
08-14-14, 02:34 PM
Yes...I read up on Sensory Processing disorder and it seems different from what I have. My problems are about ignoring, or gating noises that aren't important to me (dogs, a mower, a conversation) I am also slightly SPD in the auditory aspect where things are too loud for me...but the gating or blocking of the sounds themselves is what I have more issues with. I looked for other threads but didn't see any..perhaps they are called SPD and I was looking for SGD.

Lunacie
08-14-14, 03:53 PM
That is very much an ADHD thing. We can't seem to prioritize our attention so all noises seem important. Most of us call it 'filtering.'

stef
08-14-14, 04:03 PM
either i hear nothing, or everything...

QuietPlease72
08-14-14, 04:10 PM
either i hear nothing, or everything...

Me too! My family is having a hard time understanding that I need quiet time to work (I have a home office) and quiet time to JUST BE. Otherwise I get anxious and irritated and short with people. The more alone and quiet time I have the better I feel, the more level headed and balanced I can be.

I am newly diagnosed with ADD/ADHD (I have a hard time with the hyperactive part because I don't have any of it) and the sensory gating disorder..but it's good to find out after all these years why I act the way I do...most people I think wrote it off as me being flaky :(

Frustrated One
09-24-15, 01:50 PM
I am like that too. I cannot read it there is any noise going on.

I just started a new job a few weeks ago as a supervisor in a warehouse. I cannot listen to people who are right in front of me when all I hear is beep beep beep from the forklifts and the noise of the other lift trucks. Also, everyone else seems to have no problem just dropping the empty pallets on the ground from about 4 feet high. That not only causes extreme pain, but is also very distracting even if it is more than 50 feet away. Unfortunately, I was without work for a long time, so I cannot afford to be picky right now, but every time I go up front to the office, it is so quite you can hear a pin drop and it is such a relief as soon as I walk in and the door to the warehouse closes.

In a social setting, I can hear conversations or other sounds across the room, but cannot concentrate on the person in front of me.

Greeno
10-12-15, 07:05 AM
In a social setting, I can hear conversations or other sounds across the room, but cannot concentrate on the person in front of me.

Oh man I can totally relate to that!

A noisy shopping mall on my own can be relaxing and calm, but as soon as I am with one or more people it becomes too much, a real sensory overload and I get stressed out and irritable.

Persistence9
05-07-16, 08:09 PM
I work in a busy office, but fortunately have my own office with a door that I can close.

Most of the staff work with their doors open throughout the day because the nature of our work requires that we 'cross-consult' quite frequently. The noise of people walking up and down the hallway and the constant interruptions of people dropping into my office for something relatively unimportant makes me feel overwhelmed and exhausted. My job requires focus and there is a lot of multi-tasking involved.

I have started closing my office door and if someone really needs to speak with me they can tap lightly and I will invite them in. But other employees have mentioned that they think I'm closing myself off from others.

I mentioned that I have very sensitive hearing and the constant background noise is very distracting for me. There doesn't seem to be much understanding of this issue in general.

I focus so much better with the office door closed, and get much more work done.

I also feel overwhelmed, irritated and frustrated when there is a lot of background noise and someone in the environment is speaking to me. It is difficult to hear and focus on the person speaking and my agitation level goes really high.

Could ADD be the cause of this?

aeon
05-07-16, 09:13 PM
Could ADD be the cause of this?

Absolutely!

Inability to filter out irrelevant sound is, at times, enough to make me fit to be tied. Sometimes the smallest sound will just utterly destroy my ability to concentrate on the thing of my choosing.

Thank goodness for meds, as they help me so very much in this regard.

---

I can appreciate the benefit you get from closing your door, but please do realize that doing so will have real consequences...social, political, and to your career.

Is there anything else you can do? Headphones? Change of desk position? Use of furniture and/or wall treatments to absorb sound reflections?

Well-Wishes,
Ian

BellaVita
05-07-16, 09:28 PM
I always hear everything, all the time. I have no ability to filter - everything is loud and at the same volume of each other. For example - someone speaking is at the same volume as music playing. (Music that is supposed to be background music) Another example: Or coffee machines in a coffee shop are at the same volume as everyone speaking. And that person speaking who is sitting four tables away - they sound just as loud as the person sitting in front of me speaking.

It's very overloading.

It cannot be shut off.

stef
05-08-16, 01:51 AM
A noisy shopping mall on my own can be relaxing and calm, but as soon as I am with one or more people it becomes too much, a real sensory overload and I get stressed out and irritable.

Exactly!!! and then if it actually gets overwhelming well i just leave. but if youre with someone its hard to say, k done, gotta get out of here now.or they will say sure and then youre in a noisy café or something.

Lunacie
05-08-16, 10:05 AM
Yep. I once worked the winter holiday at a photography studio, calling people to confirm appointments.

I could not do this sitting in the studio (in the mall) so the manager helped set up a place for me in the stock room where I could close the door.

Couldn't wear noise-cancelling headphones if I was making calls on the telephone, eh?

But noise-cancelling headphones might help you. And positioning your desk so you don't have to see the daily parade in the hallway.

Simargl
05-08-16, 12:50 PM
I can relate. Loud noises and repetitive sounds can set me off and raise my anxiety. I'm one of those people who have a hard time listening to others eat. For some reason I thought this would get better after taking meds...no.

Crackling bags, crunchy food, smacking lips... I'm on edge. I put my headphones in while I work but I really wish there was a way I could control this.

Pandaleeluv
07-27-16, 10:36 AM
I am not adult yet, but from the way people talk my eating issues are not going to go away. I am overly sensitive to food texture mainly is very thick creamy foods and crispy foods and ir stringy foods.
So basically all fruits and vegtables except Pickles, Apples, Potatos, and Green Beans for some odd reason. I have never had any issues in meat, but as of recently I have noticed I have been getting sensitive to very thick creamy desserts. Like Ice cream, Frosting, Cheese Cake. And I don't knoe what to do because I am scared that it will get worse and I wont be able to eat a majority of the things I like. I am 15 by the way.

spamspambacon
07-27-16, 02:57 PM
I can relate. Loud noises and repetitive sounds can set me off and raise my anxiety. I'm one of those people who have a hard time listening to others eat. For some reason I thought this would get better after taking meds...no.

Crackling bags, crunchy food, smacking lips... I'm on edge. I put my headphones in while I work but I really wish there was a way I could control this.

I have this and thought it was just me, until this very moment!
I just looked up Sensory Gating Disorder and came across "Misophonia."

Seems it's not just ADHD, but Autism, Bipolar, schizophrenia, etc., can suffer from these same issues.

"Noise Rage"
I like that phrase :)

anonymous1234
09-05-16, 07:37 PM
yep im sure i suffer from this. ..this is very relatable. i dont have a formal diagnosis of adhd yet as i have a very complex case but am in the process of trying to get diagnosed . i have noise sensitvity really bad. i feel everything is so overwheming. noise,busy places,textures ,certain smells,people talking {struggling to take information in} feel like im sensitive to all senses. but loud sounds are a big one for me. i seem to have very sensitive hearing also and seem to hear things before everyone else. x

FinallyDxed!
11-05-16, 09:33 PM
I am so confused by this all and I am hoping that my neuropsych eval in the coming month will be able to elucidate this for me.

I definitely have sensory sensitivity/issues (mostly better as I grew older or I adapted).
Clothing was so irritating, mashed potatoes...I could taste every little granule of starch blah! Now I still feel like I have superwoman sensory powers haha. Prefer sunglasses, HATE noise, smell things WAY before others do...gas leak? I'm your gal ;-) But that means a woman wearing sweet perfume makes me want to yack on her (yes ON her hehehe). Need to take the bra off and comfy clothes ASAP. Take off the rings and get the hair up...or down.....or up. I have an exaggerated gag reflex and startle response. And did I mention some noises make me super agitated and irritable? But then some of it also has to do with not being able to tune it out. Or maybe all of it does. I wonder if professionals even understand this yet. Mental health issues are all so closely related in my opinion: Tourette's, OCD, Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, Sensory issues, maybe bipolar and autism. Everything seems to exist on a spectrum 0-10 and maybe a 6+ makes it more difficult to function. Someone without issues would rate it as 0. I feel like I am between a 4-8 for many of these things. Nothing super-severe, but several different (or overlapping) issues bad enough to be f****** annoying! There's my tired and overwhelmed rant! Hope it makes some sense.