View Full Version : First uninterrupted sleep in several years

Mike7321
08-14-14, 01:26 PM
Okay, so I just wanted to share my story with some of you guys and ask if this is normal for anyone else.

I am 27, used to be a heavy daily cannabis user from about 15-27 (quit about 3 weeks ago). I had always had major insomnia growing up, which was somewhat controlled by self medicating with weed, and I was very dependent on this for that reason. I decided it's time to move on with my life and quit that, which so far has been very helpful. I had been on Vyvanse in the past, but found the activating effects to be too much, and the insommnia/appetite reduction was not worth it; this also seemed to lead to irretability and emotional dysregulation (I think that having 4-5 hours of sleep a night, waking up exhausted, then popping a pill first thing in the AM led to very low levels of nutrition and minimal REM sleep). I was smoking cannabis daily throughout the entire time I was on Vyvanse (for about a year). I stopped it a year ago, and then yesterday was started on 10mg bid ritalin, which i took at 2 and 7pm (I usually work late, so I like to fall asleep later). I went to bed at 0200 and just woke up at 1030 this am. I noticed something different as I feel quite awake, and for the first time in possibly several years, I slept soundly for over 8 hours. I did only have about 5 hours of sleep the night before, so maybe it was just REM rebound. Just wondering if this is the norm for other people, or maybe this is due to me quitting cannabis?

Thanks guys!