View Full Version : Long term: Can't feed myself reliably

fuzzywasabear
08-14-14, 05:52 PM
Hi! Over the years I've steadily worked on parts of me that were not functioning well due to bad adhd. I'm doing well, back in college (with a 4.0 this time instead of... what it was before... shudders). I live alone and take care of myself really well.

Except food.

If you are single (ie, not gaining motivation by having to cook for others), how do you manage to feed yourself? I find that if I have to do anything, especially if it makes dirty dishes, I won't eat or I'll just eat out all the time.

Now that's not saying I have no willpower. But after a few days of intense work on forcing myself to cook, I might accidentally skip breakfast one day. Then it gets worse until I look back and realize I haven't been eating or have been eating out like crazy.

I've considered slow cooking recipes with freezer bag meals, but just tracking down the recipes is a lot of work. My current regimen: Throw a mixed veggie 1lb bag into the microwave so I get some nutrients, maybe a can or two of soup, and whatever I can munch on in between, with liberal amounts of eating out.

Any ideas?

sarahsweets
08-15-14, 05:51 AM
Despite mu personal issue with processed food in your case those miçrowave meals might be something to look into .

InvitroCanibal
08-15-14, 12:43 PM
Hi! Over the years I've steadily worked on parts of me that were not functioning well due to bad adhd. I'm doing well, back in college (with a 4.0 this time instead of... what it was before... shudders). I live alone and take care of myself really well.

Except food.

If you are single (ie, not gaining motivation by having to cook for others), how do you manage to feed yourself? I find that if I have to do anything, especially if it makes dirty dishes, I won't eat or I'll just eat out all the time.

Now that's not saying I have no willpower. But after a few days of intense work on forcing myself to cook, I might accidentally skip breakfast one day. Then it gets worse until I look back and realize I haven't been eating or have been eating out like crazy.

I've considered slow cooking recipes with freezer bag meals, but just tracking down the recipes is a lot of work. My current regimen: Throw a mixed veggie 1lb bag into the microwave so I get some nutrients, maybe a can or two of soup, and whatever I can munch on in between, with liberal amounts of eating out.

Any ideas?

own fewer dishes, one plate, one pan, 1 spoon, 1 fork, 1 knife etc

Your dish load will be lower, therefore cooking will be easier for it. Also, making lentils, beans, and split pea soup from scratch yields a weeks worth of food for one person if you use like 2 bags.

They are a buck a bag, so cost shouldn't be an issue either. You'll find, if you balance this with going out to eat it will be more cost effective.

You'll need 1 large pan with a depth of 4 inches, there about. Radius should be about 6 inches.

Soft boiled eggs is an easy meal as well, takes 6 minutes and some water, I used to live off those when I was single in an apartment. The other thing I get is deli sliced meat and would eat that or wrap it around a softboiled egg...I wasnt much of a cook then haha.

A mini portable 20 dollar grill is also a good way to go, the mess doesn't exist except with the plates. Obviously it would be used outside

Paper plates and utensils is another way to go.

stef
08-15-14, 01:03 PM
grilled cheese sanswiches, and fruit?
individual canned soup

addthree
08-15-14, 03:00 PM
I have the same problem. I don't like to cook because of the mess for 1 person. I eat oat cakes or cereal for breakfast, eat lunch out, and try to cook dinner. Some days I am so tired or in too much pain to cook so I eat cereal or something simple like spaghetti. I try to make meals that I can cook in one pot/pan. Also will be starting Grad school next week with a GA commitment and a another job. No idea how I am going to eat.

silivrentoliel
08-15-14, 03:50 PM
I am a firm believer in what my husband calls "ADHD Food" ... quick snacks that take little or no time to cook. Cereal, fruit/veggie platters from the grocery, microwave stuff (we don't have a microwave, so it takes longer in the oven, but same concept), chips & salsa.... stuff like that.

I could live on it. It drives him up the wall. Without it though, I really think I'd skip more meals than I remembered.

Itsjustme123
08-16-14, 07:29 PM
I have my one pan that I make everything in, when I cook. Spaghetti and meatballs? Sure...and it'll last 3 or 4 days - add water and the pasta in with the meatballs, and 20 minutes later, it's perfectly cooked. Canned tomatoes, Minute Rice, a broken up burger & some seasoning? Faux chili in 10 minutes, good for 2 days in just a few minutes. Cut up chicken cutlets are fast, and you can add different sauces for different nationalities (like teriyaki) of flavor, rice pasta or potatoes, and some veggies, and *boom* dinner.

As long as whatever I'm making is interactive (you know - I get to stir - LOL), and fits in any 1 pan, it's all good!! Just learn to use veggies or canned soup or whatever as your sauce, microwave whatever takes too long to deal with and cook normally, then add it to the pan, and you'll be fine, with a minimal amount of mess. :)

Of course, any real chef would probably cringe at what I do, but it beats a deli turkey breast sandwich or frozen pizza 6 days/week. Although I still do have my moments!! LOL

Get creative, have fun, and basically just toss in a protein, carb and veggie, along with some seasoning of some sort, and it's dinner. Then when you eat out, you can really enjoy the work that someone else did, but at least you can eat well rounded meals when you're home.

doiadhd
08-16-14, 07:43 PM
Its like i wrote the opening post. . .when i am working. Now i havent been,its been a nightmare with food n bills etc its the price of food also in the tourist town i live in. Lucky enough i do have a couple of friends who help me out from time to time and also from time to time very often. It really lowers self estime when you cant even shop for yourself,cool for yourself and eat by ones self. . . And washing up after ward,then bin days,cleaning products,waiting for work-nightmare.

HADDaball
08-16-14, 11:27 PM
could always try soylent :)