View Full Version : vegan diet stopping brain fog

lmg2474
08-14-14, 08:32 PM
hi everyone, I was just posting to see who all has ADD and is on a vegan diet and what their experiences are with it (vegan as in no dairy or meat, not all the other stuff involved with the term).

I switched from vegetarian to vegan about 3 months ago, and I almost immediately noticed that the brain fog I'd always had was completely gone. The ADD was/is still there, obviously, but everything going on in my mind was suddenly crystal clear (even if it was still totally scattered). Anyone who has experienced the brain fog knows that it makes it that much harder to concentrate on anything, but I found that the ADD was a little bit more bearable to handle after switching to this diet. What's funny though is that I had eaten a bit of meat with cheese at a family gathering a few weeks ago and as soon as it was digested I got the brain fog again.

Dunno if this is just me, but I figured I'd just throw that out there for anyone suffering from the brain fog who are looking for a way to alleviate it.

Asylum
08-15-14, 02:43 AM
Wow.

What do you mean by almost immediately? And, do you mean ABSOLUTELY no dairy? (As in, no coffee if you have white coffee) I'm not being funny, I really need to know before I give up coffee.

BellaVita
08-15-14, 03:28 AM
I've been vegan for this entire year so far and it hasn't helped my brain fog.

B12 shots, however, help my brain fog.

lmg2474
08-15-14, 02:12 PM
@Asylum, almost immediately as in within the first few days. And nope, no dairy, although I've found a plethora of amazingly similar tasting vegan versions of all of my favorite dairy products. As for coffee, I still drink coffee everyday but I use soy milk instead of regular milk. It is actually delicious with coffee!! As for your white coffee preference, there are countless types/flavors of soy milk out there even in regular grocery stores. Just browse around your local food store and I'm sure you'll find it.

@BellaVita, I also take One A Day vitamin supplements which include B12 so that may also be a factor.

Basically, a steady commitment to things that are good for your health will most likely help a bit with the fogginess in my experience.

stef
08-15-14, 02:20 PM
I.m not vegan n or even vegetarian but I feel so much better just eating well, with no junk food.

It'sPeter
08-21-14, 05:38 AM
I've been vegan for a about seven years now, I think (my memory is so bad). Before that I was vegetarian since I was fourteen, I think. I can't really remember what it did to me concerning brain fog. What I do remember is feeling lighter, less sluggish.

I don't know if you know about Durianrider (vegan athlete/youtube personality)? He's quite the energetic character and many people think he's too much. I like his energy and in this video he talks about the meat eaters diet paleo. In this video he comments on an interview between Joe Rogan (the UFC commentator) and Rob Wolffe, the paleo guru. In a segment early on, he talks about how many paleo (high fat, low carb) followers are depending on coffee to keep focussed. Your post reminded me of this segment and maybe it's something you'd be interested to watch. Oh, and he is from New Zealand, so there is a slight accent.

http://youtu.be/ggmlfrH3uEo?t=57s

Unmanagable
08-21-14, 02:15 PM
Slowly eliminating processed food-like substances and synthetically created beverages, sugars, etc. helped eliminate a lot of brain fog for me. As a matter of fact, I've been bad the last couple days in my dietary choices and am paying hell for it now.

Introducing locally and organically grown seasonal foods and learning to make homemade versions of stuff helped me transition to a much better diet. Listening to all the b******* from friends who don't want to learn how to do any of that "because it's too much trouble", and who are still convinced the other crap is actually safe for our bodies, plucked my nerves.

At the same time, I was also introducing supplements such as Vit. D, B 12, curcumin, and magnesium into my diet, under the close guidance of a registered dietitian and my doctor, so the combination of doing both definitely improved my overall functioning abilities. My body is now quick to let me know the fake stuff isn't welcomed, nor will it ever be healthily processed.

The registered dietitian helped me understand the specific needs my body had based on lab work ordered by my doc, and why the things I had been trying up to that point hadn't been bringing me the desired results.

Healthier eating for your body's specific needs can do nothing but improve things. Thinking you're doing something healthier based on what everybody else does won't necessarily bring you good results, especially if you aren't fully aware of your specific needs. Learning to navigate the marketing arena is critical, too.

SB_UK
08-21-14, 03:06 PM
I've been vegan for a about seven years now, I think (my memory is so bad). Before that I was vegetarian since I was fourteen, I think. I can't really remember what it did to me concerning brain fog. What I do remember is feeling lighter, less sluggish.

I don't know if you know about Durianrider (vegan athlete/youtube personality)? He's quite the energetic character and many people think he's too much. I like his energy and in this video he talks about the meat eaters diet paleo. In this video he comments on an interview between Joe Rogan (the UFC commentator) and Rob Wolffe, the paleo guru. In a segment early on, he talks about how many paleo (high fat, low carb) followers are depending on coffee to keep focussed. Your post reminded me of this segment and maybe it's something you'd be interested to watch. Oh, and he is from New Zealand, so there is a slight accent.

http://youtu.be/ggmlfrH3uEo?t=57s

There really is a carb vs fat war out there - with a protein gang in the background.

If I had to choose one it'd be fat though (or laying down and using our own fat in periods without food) - much more efficient.

To be fair becoming fat is a bit of a carbohydrate fat collaboration though ... ...

Carbs may be rocket fuel but they can't even sustain us through a marathon; we evolved to be marathon hunters (persistence hunters) and turned into voracious watchers of television sport.

If I had to guess - it'd be getting fat at the end of Summer and then using fat stores through to the next time of plenty.
So - a large amount of time spent in ketosis in close to starvation (fasting) - but not all.

This 'd allow us to have out fat/carb diet, fat diet, protein diet, no diet
- the trick though is an emphasis on not eating much and maybe using long distance exercise to getting us deeper into ketosis.

Exercise + Nutrition (alongside a world which allows us to operate in this way)
- and not in the way we're (distressingly tedious and pointless tasks for battery farmed chickens for chicken feed) made.

addthree
08-21-14, 05:08 PM
What people in genral need to learn is what foods are good for there particular body type. So its possible to be vegan and be eating the wrong foods this goes for any diet type. Dairy is good for some and poison for others.

HADDaball
08-21-14, 06:37 PM

Carbs may be rocket fuel but they can't even sustain us through a marathon ...

You might want to read about world champion marathon runners...

What's a Kenyan's main energy source ? Ugali - corn meal.. :)

Credit where credit's due though, the Tarahumara eat Chia with their milled corn, beans and squash...

...What's funny though is that I had eaten a bit of meat with cheese at a family gathering a few weeks ago and as soon as it was digested I got the brain fog again.

I agree. I went vege and vegan for a while. But it really depends on what you eat or not.

It'sPeter
08-22-14, 04:54 AM
Veganism is such a hard thing to discuss, because there are so many opinions, facts and myths. Somehow people feel really strong about it, whether they're in favor of veganism or not.

There are many athletes, in both endurance sports and more 'explosive sports' that thrive on a high carb/low fat diet. My personal experience is also that carbs and sugars (and I don't mean cake and coca cola) are the fuels of our body and mind. Therefore I think anyone could try to give a more fruit-based diet a chance for a week or so to see how it makes them feel. Mac Danzig (a fruitarian MMA fighter) once said something like: fruits have become some sort of snack to people. I agree, and I think fruits should take a much more prominent role in people diet than it does now.

I believe it's what nature intended for us to eat in the first place. Personally I believe that we can learn a lot from nature. And yeah, I'm behind my computer and using the internet, but still. For example, I think dairy is bad for any grown human. It's meant for baby cows, not for adults apes (us).

I don't have some vegan agenda, or anything, but if people want to read about it, some nice books are: The China Study, 80/10/10, Thrive. There is also an amazing facebook group called vegan bodybuilding & fitness. They're very nice and open to tell interested people all about it. And you'll see pictures of people that really debunk the scrawny vegan preconception :D.

SB_UK
08-22-14, 01:54 PM
You might want to read about world champion marathon runners...

What's a Kenyan's main energy source ? Ugali - corn meal.. :)

Credit where credit's due though, the Tarahumara eat Chia with their milled corn, beans and squash...

I agree. I went vege and vegan for a while. But it really depends on what you eat or not.

Yes - been watching videos on those chaps.

But it is recognized that the average marathon runner hits the wall at ~ 20 miles isn't it ?

I guess if we're looking at how we evolved - it wouldn't have been with regular refeeds during marathon hunting sessions - it would have been hitting the wall and then some before our next meal.

We've had the Kitava vs Inuit battle on here before

- but there's little that can be done (despite the world hating it) for the boring biochemist to state that fat is in a different league to carbs when it comes to best geared to survival ie we can lay down much more ... ...

But - the key part - which the world isn't getting to - are the periods of starvation after a re-feed in which the catabolic state refreshes ALL of our insides (autophagy).

So - I'm willing to accept that most hated of phrases - 'a little bit of everything' - though you're not (nobody is) going to like how little - little actually means.

Thinking that brain fog relates to transitioning between brain use of glucose to ketones - something like that ?

Stress - glucose mobilization - lifting blood glucose levels above the low state required for us to be happy ketophiles 'd alter the fuel used by nerves - create the experiential perspective of brain fog.

Maybe???

It's the easiest solution to the problem - not sure if it's right.

So - a distress x diet x exercise interaction whereby lowering blood glucose levels should alleviate the fog.

SB_UK
08-22-14, 01:56 PM
Yes it may be true that certain people do OK on carbs - but fat is wayyyyyy better as a fuel.

But yes - the world is drowning in excessive amounts of it - and is perhaps not open to the wonder of blubbydubflubber.

lmg2474
08-22-14, 11:51 PM
But the good kind of fat can be found in most any vegetable and/or fruit. Most of the world's population is primarily confused/misinformed about the nutritional benefits of a whole food, plant-based diet. They automatically judge it as fat-free and ultimately emaciating. But all of what I eat is full of nutritional fat and all of it is in fact whole food and plant-based. The popular corporations have brainwashed us into thinking that eating absolute crap is actually good for us in the long run, when in reality, more people have suffered and died from heart attacks and related illnesses in the past twenty years than in all of the years beforehand - and most, if not all of it is due to the highly processed meat and cheese that we're constantly exposed to on a daily basis.

HADDaball
08-23-14, 09:08 PM
Yes it may be true that certain people do OK on carbs - but fat is wayyyyyy better as a fuel.

But yes - the world is drowning in excessive amounts of it - and is perhaps not open to the wonder of blubbydubflubber.

I find there are good and bad in both.

But the good kind of fat can be found in most any vegetable and/or fruit. Most of the world's population is primarily confused/misinformed about the nutritional benefits of a whole food, plant-based diet. They automatically judge it as fat-free and ultimately emaciating. But all of what I eat is full of nutritional fat and all of it is in fact whole food and plant-based. The popular corporations have brainwashed us into thinking that eating absolute crap is actually good for us in the long run, when in reality, more people have suffered and died from heart attacks and related illnesses in the past twenty years than in all of the years beforehand - and most, if not all of it is due to the highly processed meat and cheese that we're constantly exposed to on a daily basis.

I used to think along similar lines. I found there are some good things that a vege diet doesn't provide.

Unless you eat algae oil, you won't be getting the benefits of long omega 3s from fish or their oils.

It is true though about processed food generally having more added sugar, fat or salt than we need.

But the food companies are between a rock and hard place. They can only sell what people are willing to pay for.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 08:41 AM
I think that the answer we'll discover is that people're simply eating way too much.

Routine periods of complete fasting are required for 'rejuvenation'.

What food should we eat ?
Anything real as long as we've hefty 4 day fasts interspersed throughout.

But the world CANNOT all be fed meat.
Meat harvesting exerts too great a demand on the environment.

Who gets to decide who gets the animal flesh ?

From a purely pragmatic view - frozen veggies with large periods of fasting 'd be the best choice before ever even going into the med literature to find lots of supporting evidence for this basic diet being best for us.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 08:47 AM
Don't like the meat vs no meat debate - because meat eating at the levels of the average American can NOT be supported by the planet ... ... we don't have the choice of meat eating and so should perhaps work to push past the addiction.

Data for this view taken from Michael Moseley's
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fhb90

SB_UK
08-25-14, 08:50 AM
I do think though that freedom from physical/psychological stress in the sate of ketosis which may be acquired through vegan living (MCT / EVOO oil gets us there!) - might alleviate brain fog
- with brain fog relating to problems thinking by virtue of neurones becoming dizzy from transferring between glucose and ketone as fuel.

Have seen some research indicating loss of ketosis through stress (Jimmy's n=1 ketosis experiment).

My reading of the literature is that the nerve prefers ketone as fuel (calms 'em down eg ketosis/epilepsy).

My reading of human beings and their love of wheat/corn is that the vast majority of us never experience the glory of ketosis.

-*-

Since human beings evolved as persistence hunters - it makes sense that we'd have selected a metabolic engine which'd support persistence hunting - and that'd be happy ketosis.

What likely happens in ketosis - when we're powered by body fat alone ?
Well - we're going to need protein and what better way to get it than through autophagy or cleaning ourselves of the rubbish on the inside and putting it into nice shiny new cells without the detritus of accumulated mutations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/<wbr>news/uknews/10878625/Fasting-<wbr>for-three-days-can-regenerate-<wbr>entire-immune-system-study-<wbr>finds.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10878625/Fasting-for-three-days-can-regenerate-entire-immune-system-study-finds.html)
http://www.independent.co.uk/<wbr>news/science/fasting-for-two-<wbr>days-could-regenerate-the-<wbr>immune-system-according-to-<wbr>research-9506168.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/fasting-for-two-days-could-regenerate-the-immune-system-according-to-research-9506168.html)
http://boingboing.net/2014/06/<wbr>12/fasting-for-three-days-can-<wbr>reg.html (http://boingboing.net/2014/06/12/fasting-for-three-days-can-reg.html)

SB_UK
08-25-14, 09:02 AM
So - I'm suggesting an optimized fresh organic low GI lectin eliminated vegan incorporating routine 4 days fasts (supplemented with fat if necessary as described by the John Radcliffe diet ie MCT oil to help in times of weakness) when relaxed (not feeling psychological stress)
- as the cure for brain fog.

However - it's possible to have that form of biochemistry using carbs, protein, animal products, vegetarian, vegan ie it's possible to adopt an optimal diet using any of the standard diets - albeit with care.

The most efficient from a practical point of view though 'd be a frozen specific (ie dropping processed flour, processed omega-6 oil, processed HFCS, MSG, alcohol, processed sugar etc etc all of which're vegan) organic vegan.
Even these could be incorporated - but why do it to yourself ? They're just industrial processes aimed at corporate profit or addiction (ensuring your future custom)
ie any food generating organization in a market based economy is driven only by the desire to ensure your custom.

A lot like a drug dealer - the food corporation uses the same basic tactic.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 09:13 AM
I should add that I still use a high fat cheese with EVOO when desperate during a 4 day fast as compatible with ketosis ie not pure vegan yet - but I'm sure there're plenty of vegan alternatives to maintain ketosis in times of weakness. Personal observation - getting a good couple of hours of exercise daily reinforces the state of ketosis nicely.

Does anybody have time to exercise in this world ? Few.
Does anbody fancy the idea of 4 day fasts ? No
Does anybody want to eat a pure vegetarian fat like EVOO in times of hunger ? Few

It's just not a lifestyle that's going to catch on - unless the scientific literature can make the mind see that it's the only option.

Get kids to choose vegetables over doughnuts ... ... what a chore !!!
And in the background there's some adult being the head baker or CEO of supermarket counting their cash in glee.

They're making profit from human suffering (the current global diabesity epidemic).

SB_UK
08-25-14, 09:28 AM
But the good kind of fat

I'm drawn to vegan MUFA and MCT sat fat - but I'm still not convinced that PUFA and LCT are bad - maybe PUFA industrially processed ie oxidized ... ... ie that CP sunflower oil / sesame oil isn't so bad ... ... ... and as for LCT's - well I guess going vegan will eliminate most (still find some in coconut oil)
- but they're still to be found in eg cheese as a veggie.

Don't know - noticed an asthmatic reaction after MCT oil / EVOO recently also (these're the fats I'm advocating) - wasn't expecting that - because it leads me back to the idea of binge eating and then complete fasting ie feasting on carbs and fat one day and then just not eating until the next feast day.

Note - after experiencing asthmatic reaction post oil on a fast whilst running 0 have shifted to using oil only before sleep - which happens to be the worst point in a fast ie lack of sleepiness through not eating - cf rest/digest - just helps.

-*-

So - bringing it all together - I think I have:
Cyclic ketogenic diet
4 day fasting interspersed throughout [sleeping assisted by eg EVOO/MCT oil]
Carbs eaten - low GI lectin removed vegan
Fat eaten - predominantly MUFA
Low psychological stress exposure
Long periods of exercise (Tabata regime) under the sun

Thinking that oil before exercise exacerbated asthma because of increased PNS action ie rest/digest.
Known fasting leads to SNS promotion.
Asthmatic medication potentiates SNS or counteracts PNS.

Hmmm ... ... previously suggested SNS resistance - simply eating too much can be connected to the asthmatic reaction also.

keto diets result in a lowered immune response - I believe this may be why people experience allergy relief/asthma relief from them.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 10:08 AM
wikipedia
Amphetamineis used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder) (ADHD) and narcolepsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy). Historically, it has been used to treat nasal congestion, depression, and obesity.So eating less definitely stops me wanting to sleep (see comment above) -> narcolepsy
Eating less -> definitely a stimulant -> leads to increased SNS flow
Stimulant (pseudoephedrine) -> definitely helps me to breathe through the nose lovely sudafed
Stimulant (beta-adreno agonist) -> definitely helps me breathe through the mouth eg ventolin
Dexedrine -> definitely cuts my appetite noting the exact same timing of dex with meal spacing ie 3.75 hours cf blood glucose ups and downs - to compare with ketosis and level blood glucose readings if unstressed
Stimulant -> definitely speeds us up where 'depression' can be taken to mean slow down ie depression as metabolically slowed cf narcotic

-*-

Where's this going ?
Basically we're eating too much and so not using fat deposits from 'feast' in ketosis for life (fast) ie we're specifically designed to survive without but don't get to engage both aspects of our specialization in a world of jellied doughnuts stuffed with sugar-coated cheesy poofs.
<- suggestion which makes sense.

-*-

In pictures.

We do:
| -> (|)
but not
(|) -> |

-*-

Taken another way

SNS is fight or flight <- in absence of psych stress we don't fight or floght
PNS is rest or digest <- in absence of food we don't rest/digest

and so we've SNS PNS balance when we're fasting in a stress free state <- the optimal physiological state.

Which is pretty much:
Cyclic ketogenic diet
4 day fasting interspersed throughout [sleeping assisted by eg EVOO/MCT oil]
Carbs eaten - low GI lectin removed vegan
Fat eaten - predominantly MUFA
Low psychological stress exposure
Long periods of exercise (Tabata regime) under the sunAdditional comments -
I'm not too sure whether this is permitted but it would be nice if we're still (by the optimal metabolic engine) allowed a bit of cheese.
Prepared to let it go but it is jolly nice.

Only a little mind ... ... olives + feta, basil + parmesan, potato + all cheese yum yum yum.

SB_UK
08-25-14, 10:46 AM
So final answer - human beings optimally balanced when

SNS -> <- PNS balance - by outflow (in both cases) minimized.

This occurs in the absence of fight/flight <- absence of psych stress ie SNS down
This occurs in the absence of digest <- in fast [ketosis from fat metabolization as energy] ie PNS down

The pattern coming through is that just as fight/flight is bad for us - so is rest/digest ie eating excessively where eating appropriately may equate to eating a tiny fraction of the calories we consume currently.

Duality of optimised male (SNS) and female (PNS) archetypes.

The male is fire, 'go' and the female is water, 'stop'.

The Universe's way of generating reality is to harness fabricated 'opposites' which're actually complementary binding partners.

-*-

We know when we excessively crank fight/flight (SNS) - that blood is shunted away from brain to muscles.
We know when we excessively crank eating (PNS) - that blood is shunted away from brain to GIT.

I think that all that the brain wants is a stable blood glucose swimming in ketones as a metabolic milieu in which to fire ie that brain fog can be eliminated when un(di)stressed and not eating
- where the connection between male and female archetype is one of

(di) stress -> drives food (50:50 fat/carb intake) consumption ie it's difficult to separate the complementary binding partners - but - first and foremost we need to work towards a world which doesn't have people running in fight/flight -> correcting eating habits -> resulting in SNS/PNS balance -> not requiring stimulant to artificially balance the SNS/PNS imbalance.

x2startermom
09-17-14, 02:21 AM
I'd love to go Vegan but with my parents it's not possible. Little family support at all. Though eliminating processed foods and eating a mainly plant based diet has helped a LOT. I'm a LOT clearer on days that I'm COMPLETELY vegan.

InvitroCanibal
09-20-14, 11:45 AM
Vegan diets can exacerbate and sometimes cause mental disorders. The issue is that the brain lives and thrives on fats. Not just polyunsaturated fats like omegas but saturated fats as well. A vegetarian could maintain the appropriate fats in their diet, but most that i've seen follow a high carb and low protein diet.

I'm not trying to be insensitive and if vegan diets work for you, that's fine. But there is a risk involved with it. I've watched a few close family members turn their lives around by switching off the vegetarian diet and onto a high fat high protein diet with low/no carbs. They find their mood and health to be much better.

I honestly wish we all could be vegetarian because I really do love animals but when I had personally tried it, it just wasn't healthy.

heres a few studies on the subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/

Spadeofqueens
09-23-14, 12:35 AM
I was so excited by this thread :P vegan with ADHD here too! Though it hasn't really helped make my ADHD more manageable.

IrinaKasper
02-16-17, 06:55 AM
I use a healthy vegetarian diet (http://happybody.tv/vegan-diet-and-weight-loss/) , my stomach always feels lightness, I do not get tired easily, and doing exercises in a gym))