View Full Version : Home Cleaning/Organizing

aneededchange
04-05-05, 02:49 PM
Alright ladies,

I have been pondering this for a while. I searched the forums and didn't find exactly what I was looking for ... so here goes.

How hard is it for you to 'up-keep' your home? Do you feel that things never get done? Even the smallest things? Always behind? Can't have anyone over? Are you tired of it? Do other household members make it hard for you to keep it clean?

I was hoping we could start a section to encourage our members to work on the home keeping they need help in.

Let me be the first to say ... I answer Yes to all the questions I asked above. It is pitiful really. *sighs* So - I want to basically hear that I am not alone. And maybe share tips and cheats that we have learned along the way.

((guys can respond too if they like))

aneededchange
04-05-05, 02:56 PM
I am sure many feel this way and want some kind of help ...

Having ADD/ADHD makes it harder for us to keep up ... but I hope that is not the only reason why I feel like I am no longer treading water over things ... no I feel like I am drowning in my frustration and utter anguish.

*sighs*

ttjmom
04-05-05, 03:24 PM
You are not alone. I cycle thru house cleaning... Either the house is a museum or a dump. Right now I am on the upswing and I am presently burning everything that I can get my hands on. Have purchased 4 storage tubs, one each for the kids and one for my husband and I. I looked at all the "memories" that I had saved from years gone by (they were in every closet tucked away in boxes here and there) and decided to "organize" it. I began using the push method of cleaning. This is where I begin in one room and clean it till it is satisfactory and "push" the mess that doesn’t belong to the next room. Presently my living room and breakfast areas are the dumping ground. (hubby just rolls his eyes as he "navigates" thru the mess).
To keep myself from tossing it out and then bringing it back I have burned all things that have been purged. I do have one small box that is worthy of taking to Goodwill. I have two rooms left to finish in a home with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 4 common areas. I have burnt 7-55 gallon drums worth of junk. (shudders at the thought of the mess.) The purge of all the stuff has felt wonderful and I continue to remind myself that the less I have in the house the less there is to mess up. Now if I can just get it done before the downswing .

aneededchange
04-05-05, 03:39 PM
You are not alone. I cycle thru house cleaning... Either the house is a museum or a dump. Right now I am on the upswing and I am presently burning everything that I can get my hands on. Have purchased 4 storage tubs, one each for the kids and one for my husband and I. I looked at all the "memories" that I had saved from years gone by (they were in every closet tucked away in boxes here and there) and decided to "organize" it. I began using the push method of cleaning. This is where I begin in one room and clean it till it is satisfactory and "push" the mess that doesn’t belong to the next room. Presently my living room and breakfast areas are the dumping ground. (hubby just rolls his eyes as he "navigates" thru the mess).
To keep myself from tossing it out and then bringing it back I have burned all things that have been purged. I do have one small box that is worthy of taking to Goodwill. I have two rooms left to finish in a home with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 4 common areas. I have burnt 7-55 gallon drums worth of junk. (shudders at the thought of the mess.) The purge of all the stuff has felt wonderful and I continue to remind myself that the less I have in the house the less there is to mess up. Now if I can just get it done before the downswing .
You don't know just how much it means ... to know I am not the only one that feels this way/has similar problems.

*hugs*

aneededchange
04-05-05, 03:51 PM
Hmmm ... what do you all think.

Should I tackle the room with the most wasted space? That would be the bedroom ... it is the most disasterous right now. If I hit up the bedroom ... should I hit the floors or the closet? The closet would be the most logical ... so I have a place to the stuff on the floor.

*arghs*

confused.:confused:

ttjmom
04-05-05, 03:58 PM
Hit the closet first. Remove everything from it and sort it out. Do not put anything back in the closet until you have vaccumed and cleaned the walls. Then only put things that belong in THAT closet back. Remember the more you put back in there the more you will have to deal with at a later time. (at least that is what I keep telling myself)

aneededchange
04-05-05, 04:03 PM
Hit the closet first. Remove everything from it and sort it out. Do not put anything back in the closet until you have vaccumed and cleaned the walls. Then only put things that belong in THAT closet back. Remember the more you put back in there the more you will have to deal with at a later time. (at least that is what I keep telling myself)
Good idea ... and thank you. Half the stuff that has 'leaked' out into the main room belongs in the bedroom ... so in my line of thought ... cleaning up the bedroom first would fix alot of problems.

But first I would have to clean out a path to get to the closet! :eek:

ttjmom
04-05-05, 04:08 PM
OH MY GOSH I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAD TO DO THAT........ The first bedroom is the hardest but it is well worth it. Your montra for today is........ THE MORE I TOSS THE LESS CAN LEAK. If were being totaly honest my wanting to get it all done is that my son is coming home from NY and bringing his wife, step daughter and child with him. This will be the first time this daughter in law has ever seen my house.

aneededchange
04-05-05, 04:10 PM
OH MY GOSH I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAD TO DO THAT........ The first bedroom is the hardest but it is well worth it. Your montra for today is........ THE MORE I TOSS THE LESS CAN LEAK. If were being totaly honest my wanting to get it all done is that my son is coming home from NY and bringing his wife, step daughter and child with him. This will be the first time this daughter in law has ever seen my house.

Best of luck to you too then ... and No apparently you are not alone on that one. :) I am so 'barried' right now ... the Toss and Keep method might be the ONLY thing that can save me now. LOL

*hugs*
Thanks again.

- Ane

ttjmom
04-05-05, 04:13 PM
Get busy and let me know tomorrow how it goes. Remember It is okay not to finish it today to do it right might take some time. I know the first room I did took me 3 days but I felt so good about it afterwards i did the next room in 1.

aneededchange
04-05-05, 04:18 PM
Get busy and let me know tomorrow how it goes. Remember It is okay not to finish it today to do it right might take some time. I know the first room I did took me 3 days but I felt so good about it afterwards i did the next room in 1.
I will get this done today .... :D I have to ... for my sanity. Wish me luck ... and send LOTS of positive thoughts ...

I have to go now ... off to concur the bedroom.

*gets into her waders and trots off*

adhdxyz
04-05-05, 09:59 PM
Aneededchange,

Are you still there? Are you OK? Do you need someone to throw you a life jacket? It's been a few hours since you went to tackle the closet. Either you are hyper focused and are still at it... or you lost your focus and have gone on to do something else.

Or maybe there really is a big, dark, ugly, scary monster in the closet and that's why add/adhders like us stay away from cleaning closets.

Or maybe you found some valuable treasure and are at an ebay store cashing in on it. That would definitely get me motivated to clean.

Keep us posted. The suspense is killing us.

RhapsodyInBlue
04-06-05, 03:03 AM
Ane, there is one solution. http://www.FlyLady.com (http://www.FlyLady.com) :eek: :soapbox: :foot:

~Anon:eyebrow:

ttjmom
04-06-05, 08:26 AM
I plan on going back with flylady once I get done purging . Hopefully it will help me keep everything organized .

Debs
04-06-05, 08:32 AM
I agree that flylady.com is a great site with lots of information. In the past my house was a complete mess, but I had 3 kids in 4 years and a huge house. I had 5 bathrooms for heavens sake. I knew I had to make a choice of being a good mom and letting the house slip or drive myself crazy. I am embarassed now looking back but it was the only way I could get through. I am now remarried and my kids are a bit older (8,10,13) and have a more managable house and it is always clean. I don't have a whole bunch to do with it, my hubby is a cleaner and I have a cleaning lady come for 3 hours each week. Also my kids are with their Dad 3 nights a week so it is generally pretty clean. I can spend 10 minutes and have it completely company ready. It used to be a week of complete stress and then finally shoving things in closets and under beds to have people over. I never made my bed in all those years, now I can't imagine not making my bed when I get up in the morning. Yikes. If my husband wasn't around and I didn't have the cleaning lady I know I wouldn't be able to keep it like it is though.

ttjmom
04-06-05, 08:57 AM
My last chick is getting ready to graduate, and my life is in flux. After raising three children born to hubby and I, several children needing guidence, and many many strange animals inside the house it is now to become hubbies and my love nest. The oldest childs room is now filled with exercise machines. Middle daughters room is now for guest and grandkids. Youngest daughters room will be a sewing room. As each child has left their mess remained and was shoved into closets and every corner of the house. It has taken me almost 5 years to face the chaos that remained.
Yes the house was cleaned during that time, but was it really cleaned. No. It was managed. The power I am feeling right now is awesome. I finally believe that I can keep up this new, beautiful, organized space. I have always found that once something is organized it releases me from its grasp and allows me room to take a breath. I am doing this not for those who come into the house, not for a husband who has stood beside me but for myself and my own sanity.

In going thru everything and sorting it out I have read letters from my Grandmother, Listened to my Fathers voice while he was in Vietnam, looked at and treasured the handprints and art from the children my adult kiddos have left. Each life that has touched this house has left an imprint inside my heart. I will proudly present, in the coming weeks, the storage tubs that I have made for each child complete with their clothes that they wore home from the hospital to graduation belongings. I have allowed myself time during this process to treasure each thing I have found.

lol do I ramble or what?

Wonder if Ane finished the bedroom.

aneededchange
04-06-05, 08:54 PM
Sorry guys, I got so focused that I didn't think to post again last night. LOL :eyebrow:

In all accounts, the bedroom *is* done. However, there are more items that I want to sift through that made it into the keep pile last night. I still think that there is alot of things that could be given away that I don't use.

Unfortunately, I will have to lay off cleaning until Monday. I am packing tonight - as I have to go out of town this week (thursday - sunday). I will have access to the internet at where I am staying ... but that is it.

I have *tried* the flylady method ... but it is just too overwhelming for me :faint: and NOT practical for someone who works 50+ hours a week. I think I will try the FL method again ... once I have purged the clutter and mess. It should be less intimidating once there is not as much to 'keep up' with ... and hopefully help me not let it get that way again.

Thanks for all the 'support'. *hugs*

- Ane

crazymama05
04-06-05, 10:35 PM
Sorry I didnt read this earlier. I am currently in a downward flux right now. I can identify with all the choices above, and I hate it. My adult daughter is still at home....too comfortable to move out. And my husband is the type that likes to let it lay where it lands. Yay....and it is almost as though I have gone on strike or something. My carpet is disgusting, 5 animals and havent vaccuumed. But the way I see it, no one else here cares, why should I. So, I havent bothered cleaning. I barely do enough dishes to keep us eating. (out of paper plates) I think at this point I am just fed up and ticked off. Either way, I cant seem to motivate myself. I just dont know where to even start.

Now who's babbling.

blaaaaaaahhhhhhh

aneededchange
04-06-05, 11:15 PM
Sorry I didnt read this earlier. I am currently in a downward flux right now. I can identify with all the choices above, and I hate it. My adult daughter is still at home....too comfortable to move out. And my husband is the type that likes to let it lay where it lands. Yay....and it is almost as though I have gone on strike or something. My carpet is disgusting, 5 animals and havent vaccuumed. But the way I see it, no one else here cares, why should I. So, I havent bothered cleaning. I barely do enough dishes to keep us eating. (out of paper plates) I think at this point I am just fed up and ticked off. Either way, I cant seem to motivate myself. I just dont know where to even start.

Now who's babbling.

blaaaaaaahhhhhhh
I am almost in the same situation as you (minus the child ... and one cat that likes to Yack). I felt the same way too ....

But I had to get ahold of this problem before i went insane. If you want some tips to help you out on an upswing ... let me know. *HUGS*

crazymama05
04-06-05, 11:32 PM
I am almost in the same situation as you (minus the child ... and one cat that likes to Yack). I felt the same way too ....

But I had to get ahold of this problem before i went insane. If you want some tips to help you out on an upswing ... let me know. *HUGS*
Yes please! Tips, I am going bananas here. And it is contributing to some kind of serious mood swing dilemma. Laugh, yell, laugh yell.....my husband thinks I've lost it.

If you can help me, I would be eternally greatful.

(the cat yacking thing, killed me. Not that I am laughing at your cats ailment, it just caught me off guard.)

And thank you for the hugs. I really need them right now. Lots of them, and wine too, wine would be nice. But the hugs are the best!

crazymama05
04-06-05, 11:42 PM
PS. I might already be insane.....I am throwing mini-tantrums. Threw the couch pillow across the room cause I cant type.....pretty good huh?!)

livinginchaos
04-07-05, 12:14 AM
my studio apartment is pure chaos. everytime I clean - I say the same thing - this time it's going to stick. I come up with a plan . . . and of course within 2 weeks -that plan is out the window.

I'm cleaning this weekend, though!!
Ane - - you're so not alone :)

HAPPY CLEANING

aneededchange
04-07-05, 12:24 AM
Yes please! Tips, I am going bananas here. And it is contributing to some kind of serious mood swing dilemma. Laugh, yell, laugh yell.....my husband thinks I've lost it.

If you can help me, I would be eternally greatful.

(the cat yacking thing, killed me. Not that I am laughing at your cats ailment, it just caught me off guard.)

And thank you for the hugs. I really need them right now. Lots of them, and wine too, wine would be nice. But the hugs are the best!
I will do my best ... then again - that is all we can do right? :o
I understand WHOLE heartedly the mood swings a distaster area can cause. *sighs*

I will just tell you what worked for me ...
When I am NOT over-emotional/stressed-out/tee-d-off I do the following to the room that freaks me out the most:

I pick a corner and start there. (I cannot focus on the entire room or I will flip out and give up. By fixing little things at a time, the 'big' then eventually disappears)
Bring with me a KEEP, TRASH, GIVE bin/box. (labeling is ALWAYS a good idea) I also take the Other room basket with me.
put on some GOOD tunes to help keep you up and moving.
I plow through as much stuff as I can for as long as I can, sorting through the mess as I go. (which usually lasts about 30 mins tops if I am on no meds - or - 2 hours or so when I am on them) Put everything in the bins as you see them.
Once they are full - THEN you can get up from that area. I bag and toss the trash ASAP (before I forget). Then I vacuum the corner that I tidied .... happy I did something.
I then dance around the house putting up the Other Room stuff - trying my darnest not to get distracted.
By this time I am bored/tired/hungry/whatever ... to I slide the keep bin in the newly tidied area to deal with later (after my break)
Then I take a break. :D
If you want more ... i have more. *hehehe*

***Big hugs to you***

crazymama05
04-07-05, 01:59 PM
Change,

Those are great tips. And as I am feeling much better today I think I will implement a few. The labeling thing is awesome.

My only problem, is music makes me want to dance! It does motivate me, but after a couple of minutes I am in the middle of the room dancing and using all my energy up. Focus, focus, focus.

Funny thing I just realized....you said give her hell for 30 (off meds) or 2 hours (on meds) I found this particularly interesting as I am not on any meds, and 30 minutes seems like a lifetime to me. When I break I think to myself "wow self, that was a long run, you must have been at it for hours!" Then I look at the clock and realize it has only been a half hour or so!! Why is it that time is so elusive and confusing for us?

Anyway, I digress.

Ok, I am going to do this. One room at a time, labeled boxes, (then I wont be jumping from room to room as is always the case!) dancing. I've got it.

I'll do this first, and wait for more tips. I love these ideas-they are wonderful!

*Happy camper here!!!*

HUGS RIGHT BACK FOR YOU!!!!!!LOTS OF 'EM!!!!!

ttjmom
04-07-05, 03:58 PM
While your doing it remember.... The more you throw away the less you have to clean.

wonder if it is legal to burn the house down to start again

Scattered
04-07-05, 05:00 PM
I'm a total disaster as a house keeper. I'm in the it has to be perfect or be a dumb group. When I was single in a small college room, it was pretty close to perfect. Married to a very messy man and with two small children, it's mostly a dump now. I also employ the push method of cleaning. Usually it's our bedroom that things get pushed into. Trying to make a path through the rubble is all to familiar and my husband won't let me invite people over, because it's too messy. So you're definately not alone.

Scattered

aneededchange
04-07-05, 10:50 PM
Change,

Those are great tips. And as I am feeling much better today I think I will implement a few. The labeling thing is awesome.

My only problem, is music makes me want to dance! It does motivate me, but after a couple of minutes I am in the middle of the room dancing and using all my energy up. Focus, focus, focus.

Funny thing I just realized....you said give her hell for 30 (off meds) or 2 hours (on meds) I found this particularly interesting as I am not on any meds, and 30 minutes seems like a lifetime to me. When I break I think to myself "wow self, that was a long run, you must have been at it for hours!" Then I look at the clock and realize it has only been a half hour or so!! Why is it that time is so elusive and confusing for us?

Anyway, I digress.

Ok, I am going to do this. One room at a time, labeled boxes, (then I wont be jumping from room to room as is always the case!) dancing. I've got it.

I'll do this first, and wait for more tips. I love these ideas-they are wonderful!

*Happy camper here!!!*

HUGS RIGHT BACK FOR YOU!!!!!!LOTS OF 'EM!!!!!

Thanks! I am glad i helped you out a bit. *hugs*
and I will be MORE than happy to post more tips later on ... but right now I have a virus that is kicking my tush hard right now ... so I need to rest.

Best of luck to you ... I will do my best to get better so I can help out more! :D

- Ane

crazymama05
04-08-05, 02:08 AM
Ane!!!! You poor thing. I am so sorry you are sick!!!! *I send you chicken noodle soup, and 7up, and nyquil, and popsicles and lots of hugs*

Dont worry bout me and the tips. I can wait. It is not like I am in a hurry to clean or anything......hee hee.

You get better. My house can sooooooo wait!!!! It can wait for weeks in fact!!! :D

Now go back to bed and stay there til you get better young lady!!! :D

Take care of yourself....big hugs.

Ronee

Scattered
04-08-05, 09:22 AM
Hmmmmm! I'm sure I posted here yesterday. Oh well, probably got lost in the rubble along with that white elephant. Not only can I not imagine having anyone over, but my husband absolutely forbids it! (Isn't it terrible when things really are as bad as you fear they are?:o ). Every time I get close to getting it sort of cleaned up, somethings happens. I have something extra to do outside the house or in this weeks case, I got sick, or sometimes the kids and husband can just pile things up faster than I can unpile them. Not blaming them for it all, you know, but they certainly contribute. I'm dx with ADD and recently started meds which has helped. Now the main living area is much improved (definately not up to my mom's standards, but I don't think the health department would shut me down -- now the back bedrooms:eek: ). I think my husband is also ADD and is definately dyslexic (they tend to be messy too) and my 7 year old is ADHD, plus I have a 3 year olds who is destructo queen. Between the four of us it is a pretty daunting task, and I'm slow as mud at cleaning. Assuming I can even figure out where to start. I upped my meds one day and got an awful lot done, but my husband who is an ER triage nurse, threatened to call my doctor if I did that again, because he said I also got aggressive and overly high --like a speed reaction. Oh well, so much for that solution!:rolleyes:

Scattered

Nucking_Futs
04-08-05, 10:39 AM
I was going to post that keeping my house clean was not an issue for me well that was until last week. I now need help getting motivated again there are so many things going on in our lives that I can't seem to digest them or keep up with normal acts of living.

1.) I still work about 30 hours a week at the nursing home
2.) I work about 50 hours a week at my at home job
3.) We have been fighting off lung infections from RSV to Pneamonia
4.) The death of a friend
5.) Bills
6.).....
the list goes on and just makes me tired of thinking about it all and it makes me so mad when I look at my house that I can't clean cause I'm too busy screaming at everyone. I have to end this cycle and I have to end it NOW but tommorrow is soon enough right? lol

ttjmom
04-08-05, 11:43 AM
Hugs hon, would like to impart some wisdom my husbands grandmother told me.

"Spend time with your precious babies, the mess will be there long after they are gone from the house." Those were her exact words told to me in 1987.

I guess what I mean is you have enough on your plate right now so concentrate on doing what you can when you can but always make time for the kiddos. (which I am sure you do without being reminded)

The last babie turned 18 just today and now I am going thru and doing as she said. The other two are 23 this year and 22 this year. I thank her for this wisdom because due to these words I have some awesome memories that will last through my life. Not a moment was wasted with worry about the house. My favorite saying comes back to me now.... If you want to come see me drop by anytime. If you want to see my house make an appointment.

Hugs

Ian
04-08-05, 12:41 PM
Amen to that!

ttjmom
04-08-05, 12:59 PM
You just like my "make an appointment" statement. Jk

crazymama05
04-08-05, 01:11 PM
.... If you want to come see me drop by anytime. If you want to see my house make an appointment.

Hugs
These are awesome words to live by as well. If you dont mind I will use this in the future for sure!

nuts-so sorry to hear of the latest events in your life. Like ttjmom said, the house can wait. Family, is the ony thing that matters.

ttjmom
04-08-05, 01:23 PM
Lesson learned from Erma Bombeck........

It is okay for your children to write their name on the table in the dust ..... just make sure they know not to put the year.

crazymama05
04-08-05, 02:32 PM
Wow ttjmom, Erma Bombeck....I havent heard that name for a long long time. Maybe too long....I should revisit her publications. I always enjoyed her writings thoroughly. My favorite, "The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank." The other one a vaguely remember, "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?"

Can you suggest any others. I look forward to reading more of her works.

It is okay for your children to write their name on the table in the dust ..... just make sure they know not to put the year.

Nucking_Futs
04-08-05, 02:46 PM
I know what your saying but something tells me that the corn kernals under the high chair need to go...aww well the kitchen it is beats the heck out of starting in the bathroom...eh.

stori813
04-08-05, 05:43 PM
crazymama some good erma bombeck book's are

1 Aunt Erma's Cope Book
How to get from Monday to Friday in 12 days

2 Family ties that bind and gag!

3 All I know about animal behavior I learned at Loehmann's dressing room

4 A marriage made in heaven or too tired for an affair

crazymama05
04-08-05, 11:31 PM
Thanks stori....I am so going to find those and read them. The titles alone crack me up.

witsend
04-09-05, 02:53 AM
she was a funny lady--She's prob'ly crakin up at all of us here!!

sosninity
04-10-05, 02:25 AM
...I have burned all things that have been purged....*Sigh...*
My parents and sister are clean freaks. We're all OCD, but I seem to be the only ADD one. In their houses there is literally a place for everything and everything in its place--except for a basement or a garage (but never both!).

When visiting my parents with my then-new, now-ex-husband, my mom pointed out 7 boxes of love letters from Vietnam and asked what she should do with them. I told her to burn them, as well as a box of poems from a friend/lover. She burned them all.

I really regret it, but wonder if it was for the best--that the sad longing for those letters is much better than the pain of actually reading them.

I'm not sure if this totally fits, but it's how my brain works, even on meds.
Maybe it will make sense to you guys because your brains process ideas in a similar way to mine.

ttjmom
04-10-05, 02:28 AM
I completly understand what you said. That is why when i was purging everything I had 4 rubber maid bins in front of me. As I went thru the things I put what I wanted to keep in one of them. Each child had a bin as did my hubby and I. That way I only kept the important stuff.

crazymama05
04-10-05, 03:24 PM
sosninity,

I wish I had kept the love letters from my first husband for my daughters sake. So she could have had a better idea of who her dad is. He has been non-existant in her life, all her life actually, until recently. I keep trying to tell her, better late then never. But she rebuff's that idea. He had many chances in the past only to break her heart repeatedly. I married him because there is good in him, and it would be nice to show her that good that I fell in love with that helped to create her.

That is all I can really say about the topic. It is different for everyone. For some it is better to get rid of these things. For others, maybe not so good. I just dont know. I do hope you find solice in your decision as it is impossible to take it back now.

Nucking_Futs
04-10-05, 09:15 PM
Well, the corn kernals went and that is about the only thing I have done.

I now have laundry piled knee deep in the bathroom because there is no room left in the hamper, the rest of the house has gone downhill in a hand basket as well. I'm getting desparate but at the same time can't help but stand in awe of my newly dirty house...I'm OCD so for me to relax enough that my house become a pit is something new and strangely I'm not frightened or stressed by it. Man, I so gotta snap out of this trend. lol

witsend
04-11-05, 12:39 AM
ok I did get alot done today--tho the inside of my house doesn't show it. I planted things hung things, I was outside all day. I did get the dishes done, *hum of dishwasher in background. maybe I'll get something done tomorrow.....

BlessedLady
04-12-05, 02:45 AM
Alright ladies,

I have been pondering this for a while. I searched the forums and didn't find exactly what I was looking for ... so here goes.

How hard is it for you to 'up-keep' your home? Do you feel that things never get done? Even the smallest things? Always behind? Can't have anyone over? Are you tired of it? Do other household members make it hard for you to keep it clean?

I was hoping we could start a section to encourage our members to work on the home keeping they need help in.
First, has a decision been made on starting a section like this? It may not sound like a "big deal" to non ADDers but I can assure you not only is it a big problem for ADDers but there is a very serious aspect of this that I haven't seen mentioned..even in passing...without getting into detail at this point, I will just say that ones poor housekeeping has the potiential of being viewed & judged by others as a hazard or potential hazard to the health, safety & well being of our children. Non Adders don't understand what the housekeeping problems are really like for us & therefore they haven't a clue how to address it....& there have been situations where the problems housekeeping or rather the inability to keep house has lead to children being seperated from their parents.
Personally, I feel this is of such a high priority & importance...that it warrants asking the question again...How many members feel a section for this topic alone is one they need & would benefit from?
If I've "stepped on any toes" I apologize, that was not my intent.
BlessedLady

Ian
04-12-05, 09:58 AM
It's not really on the horizon to create another forum around this specific topic. Disorganisation and a lack of structure are pervasive throughout my life, not just in my housekeeping. Procrastination is another issue for me that ties into this theme.

Would you please take this up in the site suggestions forum and debate there?
Thanks. Ian.

Nucking_Futs
04-13-05, 10:00 AM
All right I didn't want to but someone had to.

1.) Kitchen including the trashcan, walls, cubboards, frig, microwave, stove and carpets have all now been thoroughly scrubbed.

2.) Living Room walls, pictures, carpets, drapes, blindes, knicknacks, and furniture are have all been polished or cleaned.

3.) Bathroom including laundry is done

4.)Kids rooms spotless at least until they get home

5.) Doug's and my room-what you weren't expecting a miracle were you?
NOT DONE!!!

witsend
04-13-05, 02:48 PM
Futs, look at all you DID do !!! wanna come over & do my stuff too??? PLEASE? Just kidding... I forgot to say that I also scubbed the area rugs & vaccumed too.
I bettere go & do the laundry tho...yuck.

Nucking_Futs
04-13-05, 02:55 PM
ah but I had the unwilling help of my 11 year old home from school until Monday on suspension for fighting...you know what they say, break the rules do all momma's chores she hates doing. lol

witsend
04-13-05, 03:05 PM
ooh not cool (fighting) I still live by the rules..."if you can't take it, don't dish it out!" or..."if he hits you, hit him back." but schools don't see it that way... I can under stand why tho it too dangerous now days...

Nucking_Futs
04-13-05, 03:47 PM
Its hard to discipline him when his reasons for fighting were reasons I would have stepped up to the plate myself only I've learned the hard way to use my mouth not my fists. He is/was defending a friend who lost his father recently to suicide. The child in question has been making ill received suggestions as to why someone would take their own life and they have not been received with any form of appreciation. Tommorrow, I am to take Koda into the gym and the counselor is going to try and clean up this mess before the three boys come back to school. Koda for the most part is just getting a re-inforcement lesson on using his brain instead of his brawn to settle matters.

witsend
04-13-05, 03:51 PM
That's a hard situation for any one involved. My condolences to Kodas friend. I wonder if the child in question's parents ever talk to him on issues like this or just "turn a blind eye"?
Good luck with getting this situstion resolved.

I'm glad your son stuck up for his friend even though he was suspeded for it... sometimes doing the "right" thing can be wrong.

Nucking_Futs
04-13-05, 03:59 PM
Its just one more lesson in life is not fair...suck it up and move on.

Actually, the boys mother called me and informed me that if my son so much as laid another hand on her son again....yada yada yada. When her tirade ended I clued her into what her son has been going around saying and I don't think there will be much more said by the boy.

witsend
04-13-05, 04:04 PM
The things kids do without us knowing!! HUH? My son is a little too honest with me sometimes. I just tell him I don't wanna know....

BlessedLady
04-13-05, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Nucking_Futs]Its hard to discipline him when his reasons for fighting were reasons I would have stepped up to the plate myself only I've learned the hard way to use my mouth not my fists.QUOTE]
This is a difficult topic..even for adults..but I compliment you on having a child who is so sensative to the feelings of others & is willing to "step up to the plate" & do more than just talk. I know I'm not suppose to say that...but after 6 kids, I look at it this way, we are teaching & training them in preparation for becoming an adult in the "real world." Anyone can "talk" but to "walk the walk" & not just "talk the talk" that takes Courage....some adults don't have as much as your child does. Be Proud of who your child is becoming & pat yourself on the back..you deserve it.
Life isn't fair & I always told my kids that & continue to remind them now that they are all grown. I also told them that life comes with "No Guarantees" if you want a guaranteee go & buy a car battery
BlessedLady

BlessedLady
04-13-05, 08:14 PM
Not only can I not imagine having anyone over, but my husband absolutely forbids it! (Isn't it terrible when things really are as bad as you fear they are?:o ). Every time I get close to getting it sort of cleaned up, somethings happens. I have something extra to do outside the house or in this weeks case, I got sick, or sometimes the kids and husband can just pile things up faster than I can unpile them. Not blaming them for it all, you know, but they certainly contribute. I'm dx with ADD and recently started meds which has helped. Now the main living area is much improved (definately not up to my mom's standards, but I don't think the health department would shut me down -- now the back bedrooms:eek: ). I think my husband is also ADD and is definately dyslexic (they tend to be messy too) and my 7 year old is ADHD, plus I have a 3 year olds who is destructo queen. Between the four of us it is a pretty daunting task, and I'm slow as mud at cleaning. Assuming I can even figure out where to start.
Scattered I remember so very well the summer I was diagnoised & put on meds...the fact that I got more accomplished in 1 day than I had in all the years before...it was so awesome. Hubby has it & 3 of my 6 kids have it. That summer...there was just 4 of us, the others were older & had moved out. But I didn't realize until just recently that at the same time...odviousley without my knowledge..there appeared a "stamp" across my forehead that said "let Mom do it" I was trying to make up for all the years I didn't do it cause I didn't know what to do.

As I have read these posts it has brough back memories that not only put a smile on my face but in my Heart as well....and for that I "Thank All of You." Now that it's been almost 4 yrs since hubby walked out & all of the kids are grown and moved out...it's just me & the doggie. And I am looking for a smaller place....I am so excited ! I'm taking only a few pieces of furniture and I started going through the "paperwork" back in the Spring of 2002....almost 22 yrs of marriage (18 yrs together) + 6 kids + friends & family that stayed here during an illness or crisis and the "paperwork" stuff that they All left here, including 10+ yrs of hubby's med records....3 yrs & I'm almost through with All the paperwork ! And what was important is in a box with each persons name on it & I have reminded them I'm not taking this stuff with me... so if you want it U better get it because there will be no need for you to call me & ask if I have it. Oh yes, to not have boxes & drawers turned upside down cause someone had to have something yesterday. I have read & heard that there are actually people that have dresser drawers & when they open them...there is nothing there but what is suppose to be, like underwear, shirts, ect. And when they see a old envelope laying somewhere they just throw it away because they know it's either empty or was "junk mail" & they don't have to wonder what year they meant to put it on the mail box. And when someone rings the door bell or knocks instead of freezing in horror because someone might see their house...they eagerly go to the door to invite them in. As I said I've read & heard about these things....and to actually know that experiencing them is something in my near future....WOW. I will let you know if it's really true or just a cruel joke being passed around.
BlessedLady

crazymama05
04-16-05, 12:11 AM
Yaaa, I haven't been real good about the house cleaning thing lately. But, I am pretty much done with the withdrawels from the Effexor, and am feeling much better. Still get little zaps now and then, but otherwise, its all good. So now, maybe I can get this house organized.

Wits...I love your pic. That is awesome!!!!!! And how are you btw?

auntchris
04-16-05, 01:09 AM
wow ladies you sound like you went throught alot. I am pretty good to keep thing tidy. I live in a 1bedroom apt . Watch out when it is PMs time I get depressed and procrastanate like crazy. I think the worst is the clothes. I have a hard time doing my own stuff but helping others is easy . I have always been good at organising but my apt is another thing. It gets organises and 2 weeks later I feel like I havent gotten anywhere.

I did better at keep thing in order when I was in school than now. I have too much time on my hands need to get back in school.

witsend
04-16-05, 01:20 AM
hey my kitchen got cleaned TWICE today!!!:D YEAH!!! Husband took some time off & cleaned the kit, I think he vaccumed, & he layed the laundry out too!! But it didn't get put away so it'll end up a mess again soon.

montana
04-18-05, 11:46 AM
I love this thread!!
You are not alone! My house is relatively neat--but clutter is in the corners--the paper flow of books and mail is difficult for me to keep at bay.

This last summer, I got rid of tons and tons and tons of books, clothes and papers so that there is far less in my closet than there used to be.

If you know what you want to get rid of it is worth it to get some help--I paid for stiff to be hauled away and dropped off at the goodwill--in addition to doing it myself.
I got rid of anything that no longer fit me, that I hadn't worn in ages, no matter what the sentimental value. The first time I walked into my closet after that "purge" was great.

I do hope you manage to clean the clutter before your son and his family arrive!
I know what you are going through--but it is worth it!
If you can afford it--it is really worth paying for help--look in the yellow pages and find a professional organiser--I found one who was great! It was so much easier and more fun to have a sympathetic ally who made me feel everything would be alright and soon!
montana

montana
04-18-05, 12:05 PM
How to keep a house organised goes to the heart of things. Doing housework, keeping things organised is as much a spirtual discipline as yoga or kung fu.

I try to put things away as soon as I use them.
When things aren't put away--like clothes or books--it is usually because the closets or shelves where they "should" go are too full.
So that is the reason we can't make up our mind what to do with them--we drop them where they are until "later" when we "figure out" where they should go.

If the closets and cupboards are kept relatively empty--it is easier to use the discipline of putting things away.

We also need to ask for help. If there are dishes in the sink because the dishwasher is full--we may need someone to help empty it!

THis is not a trivial problem--because if we can't set up a system to automatically help us keep disorder to a minimum, we may be inadvertantly be training our children to be distracted and disorganised without even having ADD.

I think having the household orgnaised with a system that is a compatible to one's own personality and that of the family's own lifestyle, is as important wiith ADD as if someone in the family were wheelchair bound and everything had to be specially revamped to allow them to move comfortably in their home environment.
for women, a disorganized household is such a source of private shame--and with ADD on top of that--it is difficult to acknowledge how much help we actually need.
I think our whole culture is in denial about how much work it really takes to run a household--that it is a full time job which most people are trying to do while working at other full time jobs.
The only way that it can be done without going insane is to simplify how much clothing we have, how much stuff we have so it becomes easier for each memebr of the houisehold to hang up and store their own belongings, to make their own beds and to lend a helping hand in other areas of the house and kitchen.

I better get going!

montana

sunnysideup
04-20-05, 01:42 AM
I am sure many feel this way and want some kind of help ...

Having ADD/ADHD makes it harder for us to keep up ... but I hope that is not the only reason why I feel like I am no longer treading water over things ... no I feel like I am drowning in my frustration and utter anguish.

*sighs*
I thought this very same thing today before I had read this. I walked into my kitchen that has needed to be mopped for days now and I visualized myself drowning in the water... coming up and gasping for air. It does feel that way most of the time. Every once in a while I get this feeling like it's all good and I can do the back stroke or something but I can never stay in a routine to keep it that way. So there I go again drowning in the dishes, the meals, the kids toys, the dog, the laundary, the crackers on the floor of my van, the list goes on and on. i do think that if I could stick more to a routine then I could stay on top of things but it just doesn't seem possible. I tried flylady.com for a while and i was able to keep up with things better but for some reason i hate my time being laid out for me like that.

aneededchange
04-20-05, 07:58 PM
I thought this very same thing today before I had read this. I walked into my kitchen that has needed to be mopped for days now and I visualized myself drowning in the water... coming up and gasping for air. It does feel that way most of the time. Every once in a while I get this feeling like it's all good and I can do the back stroke or something but I can never stay in a routine to keep it that way. So there I go again drowning in the dishes, the meals, the kids toys, the dog, the laundary, the crackers on the floor of my van, the list goes on and on. i do think that if I could stick more to a routine then I could stay on top of things but it just doesn't seem possible. I tried flylady.com for a while and i was able to keep up with things better but for some reason i hate my time being laid out for me like that.
Wow ... I am sooo happy that others are getting use/help/support out of this thread. :D

I am trying to do flylady as well, but I just can't keep up. (although I work full time, and have no kids ... I have a fiance that is not the best help. *sighs*)

I think I will try to modify the flylady system and make it a little more AD/HD friendly. I will let you all know if I get anywhere with it. :o

- Ane

ADDitives
04-21-05, 07:45 AM
i didnt the three most difficult things today

FFO

filing, finishing stuff, and organizing!

i feel like ive got a lot done. a lot of good necessary stuff done. i feel accomplished.

i also feel mentally and physically exhausted from it.

time for tv and dessert now!!!

sunnysideup
04-21-05, 04:46 PM
I did finally mop my floor yesterday. The color of the water was not a pretty sight! I keep putting the bathrooms off though. Maybe I will go do that now. Breathe in and breathe out. I think I can...I think I can....

"whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right"

witsend
04-22-05, 01:30 AM
I haven't been around much...been trying to get yearbook stuff done....I think I might of biten off more than I can chew with this one....good thing I got a BIG mouth!!!:D

auntchris
04-24-05, 11:42 PM
Today I decide to clean. Here is what I did to my small apartment but dirty one.
Bathroom
1. removed the rug and little nightstand.
2. put all shampoos and soaps in the shower caddy
3. scrubbed the floor. ( hands and knees)type of cleaning.
4. clean around and behind the toilet and the tank and inside the bowl. Yes it shines.
5. Cleaned the sink. (had red nail polish on the enamel a bottle of nail polish fell
the med cabinet one day.)
6. Scrubbed the walls
7. Wash the door and frame. Believe it or not that does get dirty too,
8. Yes, I did the Bathtub and tile
9 Laundered the Big bath rug. Yuck it iwas filthy.
10. Put the bathroom back together again.

Kitchen

1. Washed the floor.
2. Washed the cabinets, stove and refrigartor.
3. took garbage out
4. washed the garbage pail.
5. Did the few dirrty dishes.
6. shine cabinets ( metal pink cabinets.)
7. wash counter .

Did 3 loads of Laundry, folded and in the bedroom gets put away tomorrow.

Tomorrow
Living room.

1. work on paper work. ( cant see my desk top)
2. put away clothes
3. wash last load of laundry.
4. clean bedroom
put clothes away, make bed, wipe down the baseboards and doors. Vaccuum.
5. water all plants.
6. eat sometime ...I get lost in what I am doing and forget to eat.
7. KEEP IT CLEAN NO MORE PUTTING OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy when I see it like that I did do alot , Good job Chris.

BlessedLady
04-25-05, 08:50 AM
How did you find the energy to type all of that in addition to all you have done ? I've been up a little over an hour & haven't done anything.....just reading all you did yesterday makes me need a nap.

I will take your "Good job chris" a step further " "Outstanding Job Chris"

BlessedLady

auntchris
04-25-05, 01:52 PM
Thanks Blessed Lady. That is the first time I gave myself a pat on the back. I am not sure how I did it all but have the bedroom to tackle to day and the few things on my list in the post.

I just took the 2 smallest room and the dirtiest room and tackled them from top to bottom or should I say from bottom to top. Thanks for the Cheer BlessedLady....

Nucking_Futs
04-25-05, 03:38 PM
sosninity,

I wish I had kept the love letters from my first husband for my daughters sake. So she could have had a better idea of who her dad is. He has been non-existant in her life, all her life actually, until recently. I keep trying to tell her, better late then never. But she rebuff's that idea. He had many chances in the past only to break her heart repeatedly. I married him because there is good in him, and it would be nice to show her that good that I fell in love with that helped to create her.

That is all I can really say about the topic. It is different for everyone. For some it is better to get rid of these things. For others, maybe not so good. I just dont know. I do hope you find solice in your decision as it is impossible to take it back now.

My father walked out of my life twice; once as an infant and the other time I was about 10. The pain I felt is undescribable and almost unbearable to try and recall. IMHO your ex-husband and yourself must work very slowly and in tune with your daughter's forgiveness clock. Meaning he needs to start slow, little cards, birthday cards, small gifts that fit her interests. Consistancy is probably what she is looking for, making sure he is ready for the long haul and will not bug out again when he gets bored or the going gets tough. Do not give up but give her time and space to accept and realize he is here and is ready to stay in her life for good. A life of guilt is a horrible burden to carry I buried my father four years ago without ever telling him I loved him and forgave him don't let your daughter live her life out wondering what if...you make sure he is gonna stay in her life and find easy non-stressful ways to slowly work him back into her life.

Good luck for the long road ahead,
Cherity

Nucking_Futs
04-25-05, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Nucking_Futs]Its hard to discipline him when his reasons for fighting were reasons I would have stepped up to the plate myself only I've learned the hard way to use my mouth not my fists.QUOTE]
This is a difficult topic..even for adults..but I compliment you on having a child who is so sensative to the feelings of others & is willing to "step up to the plate" & do more than just talk. I know I'm not suppose to say that...but after 6 kids, I look at it this way, we are teaching & training them in preparation for becoming an adult in the "real world." Anyone can "talk" but to "walk the walk" & not just "talk the talk" that takes Courage....some adults don't have as much as your child does. Be Proud of who your child is becoming & pat yourself on the back..you deserve it.
Life isn't fair & I always told my kids that & continue to remind them now that they are all grown. I also told them that life comes with "No Guarantees" if you want a guaranteee go & buy a car battery
BlessedLady

I have great kids!!! Koda is the child of my heart, Lexi the child of my mind and Garrett the child of my soul. I could exonerate more on my feelings but don't want to distract from the importance of this thread.

Hugs BlessedLady six kids is a great accomplishment!!!

Nucking_Futs
04-25-05, 03:52 PM
Well, the house has gone to heck in a hand basket once again. We have been hit really hard with a stomach virus and high fevers not to mention I have a very painful bone infection in which the meds only irritate my stomach more and the pain meds make me nutzo!!!

So, I have a termite inspector coming to give me an estimate tommorrow on my house. Koda had one of his "energy bursts" the other night when he started feeling better and the foot posts of his bed fell thru the floor. While his energy bursts can look violent they are nothing more then the release of pent up energy. Anyways back to the termite inspector, he's coming tommorrow and my house is what qualifies most people to have their kids taken away...EEEK!!!

So, here is my agenda for the day. I figure if I post it I'm more likely to follow thru lol

Kitchen
1.) Dishes
2.) Find the supper table
3.) Clean from the ceiling to the floor
4.) Microwave
5.) Frig
6.) Stove and oven
7.) Cubboards and counters

Living room
1.) Clean the ceiling fan, ceiling and walls including pictures and knicknack shelves
2.) Clean the windows and blinds
3.) Furniture including the entertainment center and fish tank

Bathroom
Needs a mean scrubbing from top to bottom no cutting corners here.

Garretts room
Dakotas room
Lexi's room
Our room

OK I'm off and running wish me luck.

witsend
04-25-05, 10:08 PM
I offically started with my FLYlady routine today!!!! I got my house blessing done, 27 fling boogie, 5 min room rescue (we pulled some weeds), shined my sink, dusted, vacuumed & mopped!!! I have a smalll house but it still needed to be done.

I can't wait until tomorrow!!! yeah right!!:D

Ian
04-25-05, 10:29 PM
The first time I did a 27 fling boogie I laughed the whole time and lost over 50 pounds of crap out of the house! ehhe

auntchris
04-25-05, 11:09 PM
Does it cost anything to join Flylady. and what is a fling boogie by the way?

Ian
04-25-05, 11:58 PM
Nada to join!

http://shorterlink.org/221
What is a 27 Fling Boogie?

This is a tool to help you declutter your home. Do this assignment as fast as you can. Take a garbage bag and walk through your home and throw away 27 items. Do not stop until you have collected all 27 items. Then close the garbage bag and pitch it. DO NOT LOOK IN IT!!! Just do it. Next, take an empty box and go through your home collecting 27 items to give away. As soon as you finish filling the box, take it to the car. You are less tempted to rescue the items. If you have two of any item and you only need one, get rid of the least desirable.

witsend
04-26-05, 01:12 AM
IAN ---you're a FLYboy !!!!

Chris--- Look up www.FLYlady.com (http://www.FLYlady.com) it's great!!! You'll get e-mails during the day to remind you how to/what you should be doing to keep your clutter down. I tried the digest mode but it looked like it was in code to me. Now that I have the regular e-mails it's easy!!!

auntchris
04-26-05, 02:02 AM
Thanks Ian and Annie , I just got my first email from Flylady. Wow shei is fast.

witsend
04-26-05, 03:20 AM
Keep us posted on your take off!!!

Nucking_Futs
04-26-05, 06:58 AM
I've gotten my tasks done. My house is shiny and purdy ready for company though we are not yet ready lol.

I read Ian's post about Flylady twenty seven boogie thing but did it backwards today I went thru each room and tried to find twenty seven things to give to charity which was easy in the kids' and my room. Tommorrow I will work on twenty seven things to throw away.

Ian
04-26-05, 09:02 AM
Thanks Ian and Annie , I just got my first email from Flylady. Wow shei is fast.
Fast and unrelenting. Many people seem to be un nerved by the number of emails that come from her. I'm now getting the digest version where they are all bundled into one email a day.

I don't buy into it completely, but I do what I can am and happy to be gettting any of it.

auntchris
04-26-05, 08:00 PM
Yeah Ian I just checked my email and got 11 count them 11 emails for Flylady. I was gone at the hospital all day.I had my testing done for ADHD and other disorder. What a day. My head is killin g me. So much to process .

I see him in May to go over his results. YIKEs! Thanks for the tip about flylady. I cant do it all right now I am overwhelmed about the test. I think I will do what you do what I can and leave the rest for now.

Ian
04-26-05, 09:42 PM
The idea isn't to do it all. Just to make a start. She states on the site, that it averages out to be about ten emails a day.

I'm used to a lot of traffic in my mail box so another dozen isn't going to stick out too much. Fortunately the delete key is as available there as it is everywhere else! ehh

The only thing I always do, is look after my kitchen and the sink. That's sacred for me. The rest is gravy. Today I liberated another 5 pounds. That makes about 15 for the week and it's only Tuesday! I love decluttering.
Cheers! Ian.

auntchris
04-26-05, 11:15 PM
I have been doing it myself on my own for awhile. Decluttering that is or as my Mom says "downsizing" I dont have a big apartment but it can get cluttered with papers and the laundry in the bathroom or bedroom. I love books. There are a few here and there on the desk and in the bookcases. I just have to organise and keep things orderly.

I told you about the testing I had done today. Oh boy oh boy, when I got home my head was pounding. I wont find out the result till May 24th . The dr wants to talk to my parents and the drs I have had in the past and get medical history. History from parent what I was as a child yto now. My head is spinning. I found out one thing today my verbal skill are way below normal and nonverbal are way above average 97% . I guess I do better when I dont speak. hehehe. He said I am a very hands on person. I knew that is try to tell others but no one ever listens to me.. well that is what my day was and am to overwhelmed at the moment to start flylady today.

BlessedLady
04-27-05, 03:36 AM
I told you about the testing I had done today. Oh boy oh boy, when I got home my head was pounding. am to overwhelmed at the moment to start flylady today.
auntchris, I hope you rested last night. The kind of day that you had can be so completely & totally exhausting. Be kind to yourself for the next few days....if it takes you a few days to "recover" from yesterday then give yourself a few days. You've been doing an Outstanding job with the " Home Cleaning/Organizing" for the past couple of days so be easy on yourself. And speaking of being easy on yourself the waiting between now & May 24 for the results can be stressful not to mention all of the past histories from your childhood to now, so pace yourself Sweetie.
BlessedLady

auntchris
04-27-05, 05:24 PM
auntchris, I hope you rested last night. The kind of day that you had can be so completely & totally exhausting. Be kind to yourself for the next few days....if it takes you a few days to "recover" from yesterday then give yourself a few days. You've been doing an Outstanding job with the " Home Cleaning/Organizing" for the past couple of days so be easy on yourself. And speaking of being easy on yourself the waiting between now & May 24 for the results can be stressful not to mention all of the past histories from your childhood to now, so pace yourself Sweetie.
BlessedLady

thanks blessedlady. I was exhausted I woke up at 3 pm today. My mind keeps thinking about what he said. Yeah I wanted to finish what I didnt from my Tomorrows list but I dont knwo my mind is too active and it is hard for me to read some ot these post too.
Thanks For the but grade on my Good job, Chris . I needed that. It is hard to believe myself at times . I know I dont know how I am going to process what he said yesterday to May 24th that is all I coule think about last night as I drifted off to sleep. Thanks for the encouragement and the right to relax.

Nucking_Futs
04-28-05, 09:27 AM
I'm cheating and following the advice of what others say here lmbo. I belong to five forums my email is full everytime I log on it couldn't stand anymore.

I've started Doug's and my room since it seems to be the catch all room lately. I gave six boxes of baby stuff away that had been stacked in our closet, made Doug's appt for his vasectomy (no more surprises), sold an old tv and sega and games to my sister, bought new bedding with the money lmbo, its a start. Today, we are going to attack our clothes donating what we don't wear anymore or haven't worn in a month to charity.

aneededchange
04-28-05, 05:45 PM
Well, I have not been very productive as of late. Being exhausted has something to do with it, but it is also my feelings of being constantly overwhelmed mixed with loads of frustration.

SInce I have been home, I have managed to only start the processes of de-clogging the drains. :faint: *le sigh*

My only goals for this evening are as follows:

Clean the bath tub
clean the icky toilet
sweep the bathroom floor
Mop said floor

And that is all I plan on thus far .... as many have told me ... baby steps. :eyebrow:

auntchris
04-28-05, 05:51 PM
Just take those baby steps. Like in anyother problem take it one day at a time. Have you read what the lessons mean on her website? They are interesting and easy to read. Take break and be easy on yourself.

You can do it Ane.

witsend
04-28-05, 06:00 PM
I haven't done anything today & boy do I feel guilty!!! I better go do something .....

aneededchange
04-28-05, 06:24 PM
Well ... the bathtub sparkles. :D

I am currently working on the grout around the tub ... to get the mold off the the edges. (man I shouldnt have neglected the bathroom!)

- Ane

witsend
04-28-05, 06:28 PM
I hate to do the bathrooms--YUCKKY!!!:P

aneededchange
04-28-05, 06:36 PM
I hate to do the bathrooms--YUCKKY!!!:P
Not my favorite either ... :mad:

But it has to get done.

witsend
05-02-05, 02:45 AM
Not my favorite either ... :mad:

But it has to get done.

So did they ????

aneededchange
05-02-05, 08:33 PM
So did they ????
Yes ... but I am getting ready to kill a fiance ... he keeps messing things up after I clean.

*growls*

witsend
05-03-05, 02:28 AM
Yes ... but I am getting ready to kill a fiance ... he keeps messing things up after I clean.

*growls*get used to it--it never changes!!! Wait til you have kids!!!

aneededchange
05-03-05, 05:23 PM
get used to it--it never changes!!! Wait til you have kids!!!
Nope! I don't wanna ... *shakes head*

I will go crazy if I heave to clean up after myself, him, and kids!:faint:

witsend
05-04-05, 03:15 AM
The only advice I can give is to teach them when their young!!!Even if it's just talking to them as an infant..."let's put this away now...oh the bowls go in this cupboard"...etc....

With the big kids (read...men) it's too late!!

aneededchange
05-04-05, 09:46 PM
The only advice I can give is to teach them when their young!!!Even if it's just talking to them as an infant..."let's put this away now...oh the bowls go in this cupboard"...etc....

With the big kids (read...men) it's too late!!

Well .... that is not good .... not good.
*frowns*

IthinkIcanI
05-27-05, 04:52 AM
i am determined to get my home in a decluttered and manageable state.
i 2 wish there was a forum for just this topic. that is my main reason for joining, i will glean much other info from this site, though.

gotta sleep .. more later ... zzzz

Nucking_Futs
05-27-05, 10:37 AM
Many members use the flylady.com website.

witsend
06-01-05, 01:52 AM
FLYlady rocks!! Hers her web link www.FLYlady.net (http://www.FLYlady.net)

Ian
06-01-05, 02:22 AM
It changed our lives at home here significantly. I love her attitude about letting go and taking responsibility!

witsend
06-01-05, 02:23 AM
I ahven't been to faithful lately...got some of my house blessing done..but feeling like I really need to fling something!!!:D

ADDfor2
06-11-05, 09:27 AM
I wish I could be where you are Debs. I am a complete disaster. I just can't keep up with things and my daughter doesn't help at all. She has no problem making the mess but has a major problem with cleaning it up. I just want to have a neat home and have pride in it, not shame and fear that someone will stop by unexpectedly. I've actually only had people on the door step and not allowed them in, pretty bad. What's really interesting is that all of my friends are neatnicks, even my male friends. Is someone tryting to tell me something or what? I just don't even know where to start and it will take soooooo long, I wind up losing interest and focus. I tried the FlyLady but just wasn't anywhere ready for that, couldn't keep up. I just desperately want to have a home "like everyone else". Dee

witsend
06-11-05, 08:23 PM
ADDfor2~~I don't always do everything FLYlady says but I found that even if I just do a little bit it makes me feel better. I found myself the other night scrubbing the fridge down & going through my containers at 9:30-10 pm I felt good when it was all done.

We move about 6 months ago so I got rid of A LOT (a garage full!!) then but I wish that I could just get to the sheds now....