View Full Version : Back pain

SB_UK
08-15-14, 12:13 PM
caused by nothing other than human beings having designed a shoe which deforms the human musculoskeletal system.

Love running barefoot.

Can't go back to running shoes - uncomfortable.

Looks like people have begun to notice - all over the internet stories of backpain solved through discarding running shoes.

And my specific problem (piriformis syndrome) which has stopped higher levels of sport has been connected to shoe design.
Heel strike is the most common dysfunction in running/walking gait. As soon as the heel strikes the ground, the knee rapidly moves into external rotation followed by rapid inward rotation. This places repetitive trauma on the piriformis muscle and leads to TrP formation and activation. I suggest hiring a coach who instructs forefoot or midfoot strike running form. Replace your shoes. Modern running shoes promote heel strike. I advocate shoes with as little cushion and arch support as your body can handle.

Human beings and their urge to solve problems inadvertently creating a whole larger set of new ones.

SB_UK
08-15-14, 12:23 PM
So
cure for back pain - discard all of the nonsense human beings have made.
cure for cancer - discard all of the nonsense human beings have made.
cure for T2D/obesity - discard all of the nonsense human beings have made.

Human beings create all of the problems we then suffer from by manipulating systems we don't understand.

addthree
08-15-14, 01:03 PM
Discard all modern conventions including computers and the internet. They spread misinformation through out the world.

Lunacie
08-15-14, 01:44 PM
Shoes, maybe the biggest bane of my life.

I know people look askance at Crocs, but for the first time in my life my feet don't hurt.

Better for my back too. I agree that artificial arch supports actually hurt feet and posture and cause back pain.

All those pointy toed shoes gave me bunions. Bah!

I remember so fondly when soft sole moccasins were popular, so comfy to wear.

SB_UK
08-15-14, 02:08 PM
Discard all modern conventions including computers and the internet. They spread misinformation through out the world.

Software without Hardware is the goal.

SB_UK
08-15-14, 02:10 PM
Shoes, maybe the biggest bane of my life.

me too - > 50 different insoles - it turns out to correct the architecture of the shoe !

SB_UK
08-15-14, 02:39 PM
Imagine if every single step you take imbalances the antagonistic musculature of the body ... ... that's severe chronic stress - up there with living in dumbo world eating plastic foods.

SB_UK
08-15-14, 03:05 PM
The amount of emergency hospital trips, chiropracters, osteopaths, sports massage therapists, chiropodists ... ... and it all turns out it's because someone came up with a dumbo idea for shoes.

These boys do 500 miles in a couple of days barefoot and we're all struggling to knock out a marathon or so ... ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwIKZhrdt4

men and women
old and young alike

And Western Society has the remote control because the TV knob is just a step too far.

SB_UK
08-15-14, 03:13 PM
video above - 7.56

The Tarahumara's amazing endurance.

They don't have amazing endurance - we can all do it as long as we have shoes which don't break us.

mildadhd
08-15-14, 03:13 PM
Back pain verses frostbite?

P

SB_UK
08-15-14, 03:16 PM
10.15 video
Could we all run at these levels if we change our running style

Yes!
There's nothing special about them.

However if we don't change our style - the pain can be overwhelming.

SB_UK
08-15-14, 03:25 PM
Back pain verses frostbite?

P

I got stung by a bee on my foot on the second outing.

Bit of a surreal moment watching it sitting there, the pain of the sting and then flicking it off.
Could have been a wasp - not up on the distinction.

ps no matter how cold it is out you soon warm up.
Always found that odd.

Start off going numb from the cold - end up in a t-shirt.

SB_UK
08-15-14, 03:44 PM
So yes!
Moral mind (including application) + proper exercise + proper Diet maintaining an optimal physiological state [say the Jedi]
versus
Genetic testing/Drugs/Surgery for Diseases [so disagree the establishment Imperial robodrone stormtroopers]

Prevention is the only real option - though I would quite like to know what we'll eventually die of when we do. As long as the period of disease prior to death isn't drawn out - who cares though ?

Off to Athos for a list of causes of death.

mildadhd
08-15-14, 04:12 PM
I got stung by a bee on my foot on the second outing.

Bit of a surreal moment watching it sitting there, the pain of the sting and then flicking it off.
Could have been a wasp - not up on the distinction.

ps no matter how cold it is out you soon warm up.
Always found that odd.

Start off going numb from the cold - end up in a t-shirt.

I think we burn more calories in the wintertime.

Dressing in layers is important, to hot, can be as bad, as to cold.

P

mildadhd
08-15-14, 04:38 PM
Honey bees die after they sting.

I could be wrong but honey bees, seem happier, less angry and less likely to sting.

Although I have been stung buy honey bees, but usually only if I accidently sit on them, etc.

Rubber boots are the worst.

P

eclectic beagle
08-15-14, 05:25 PM
I'm trying to make my own memory foam shoe.

addthree
08-15-14, 05:46 PM
Shoes good they protect feet. You can get hook worm from walking around bare foot.

SB_UK
08-16-14, 03:21 AM
Shoes bad - the entire world (particularly young people who don't like sport) is running trainer crazy and it's breaking their backs.

So - imagine young people attracted to brain damage, breaking their backs and obesity by listening to Justin Bieber in a McDonalds wearing trainers

- and what does the establishment want to do ?

Put a McDonalds into the foyer of all hospitals to drum up business.

The essential problem is that the people who're put in place to overcome a problem become redundant when the problem is overcome.

Redundancy (no money) is not consistent with survival.

The very people who're tasked with solving problems should be seen as the ones who cause (through profiting) off them.

SweetAnisoptera
08-16-14, 10:07 PM
I do know that increasing ones proprioceptive sense by walking on uneven areas like grass (without looking down to gauge where the next step should be) is the most healing thing that can be done for back pain, especially disc problems.

def from medicine.net ~ Proprioception: The ability to sense stimuli arising within the body regarding position, motion, and equilibrium. Even if a person is blindfolded, he or she knows through proprioception if an arm is above the head or hanging by the side of the body

Of course one has to be mindful of ones ability and the nature of the terrain. Maybe inviting a fellow human to walk with you would invite interesting conversation and keep you from overthinking what your feet are doing. BECAUSE the idea is to hone your balance (& proprioceptive abilities- )
:)

mildadhd
08-17-14, 12:46 AM
I don't think shoes choose to be a factor in back pain.

It was the way they where made.

Feels like there is some kind of sacrifice required by the shoes already made, for the shoes that have not been made yet?

Fascinating subjects SB_UK.

Thanks

P

Mantaray14
08-17-14, 02:41 AM
I did a quick 3 mile run today with my son (he was on bike of course). Thanks to SB's post I was reminded not to land on my heel and tried to land on toes (even though the wife has told me countless times already). Knee pain usually kicks in around mile 2 but I had none today. Now I'm interested in this. Some of the new running shoes are looking a lot like plain old' feet. I might look into a pair. Then there are those butt ugly feet shaped sandals, Which I thought were stupid but make sense now. Running barefoot in NY = glass in foot.

Born to Run is supposed to be a good book, wife is reading it right now.