View Full Version : Pressure Coookers/Canners

Laserbeak
08-17-14, 11:11 PM
They are the best thing since sliced bread! It's amazing how versatile they are and how tender any soups, chili, meat stew or roast, no matter how low quality, comes out of them. Plus then you can clean it and pour your food into Ball jars then process them at high pressure and they'll last at least a year or more without refrigeration.

Unmanagable
08-18-14, 12:33 AM
Thanks for helping to build my confidence in them. They make me nervous, but it would be so helpful to preserve even more garden goodies.

Laserbeak
08-24-14, 06:45 PM
Thanks for helping to build my confidence in them. They make me nervous, but it would be so helpful to preserve even more garden goodies.

Don't be afraid! The modern ones (even the cheap ones) have so many safety systems built in, it's almost impossible to hurt yourself with one of them.

My mother is scared to death of it, and won't go into the kitchen when I'm using it because her mother instilled that fear in her while she was using hers, but those were the old ones.

edit:

I should add my Grandmother made it well into her 80s and didn't die from a pressure cooker problem! :lol:

Unmanagable
08-24-14, 09:30 PM
You know.....now that you mention it...that's a damn good point. I don't recall ever seeing a headline about anybody being taken out by a pressure cooker, until the freaky Boston charades, of course, so what the hell? Hahahahaha!!

Laserbeak
08-25-14, 08:13 PM
You know.....now that you mention it...that's a damn good point. I don't recall ever seeing a headline about anybody being taken out by a pressure cooker, until the freaky Boston charades, of course, so what the hell? Hahahahaha!!

Well yeah if you fill it with explosives and set them off you can get hurt, but you can get hurt if you do that with a regular pot too! :lol:

stef
08-26-14, 12:34 AM
they use them a lot in France. "cocotte minute".
-HEY I could get one of these! ok so far I have said we need a pressure cooker. a shredder, a kindle, a bookshelf. and a loan I guess!

Pentax
08-26-14, 09:54 PM
Well yeah if you fill it with explosives and set them off you can get hurt, but you can get hurt if you do that with a regular pot too! :lol:
Hahahah.

I'm completely with you that the new pressure cookers are a good thing, Laserbeak.

The only even potential explosives I've put in them were beans, and they say to put a bit of baking soda in them and not go crazy filling the pot past ⅔ full, and the bean foam won't plug the central hole :D

I used to leave the kitchen when I put the thing on, though. Let it blow up there, not while I was in the room. Too many old stories of pressure cookers without those escape valves, although I agree, I never heard about any grandmas being taken out.

I think they're a wonder for cooking legumes and do very nice stews. :) A man put me on to them again. Who woulda thunk

intothewind
11-24-15, 09:03 PM
Very cool! I love beans...but the presoak gets me. So far I've stuck with lentils-hastily added to sphagetti when I realize I need some protein in the meal.

dvdnvwls
11-25-15, 03:27 AM
Beans - the presoak thing...

I've figured out that I can't make beans for the same day; they get eaten the next day. But they make up for it by the fact that most bean recipes feed me for several days, so the effort is more than worth it.

intothewind
11-25-15, 04:30 AM
Very true.

But that requires planning ahead and thinking about the fact that you will want beans tomorrow. ;)

Fuzzy12
12-01-15, 01:36 PM
Don't be afraid! The modern ones (even the cheap ones) have so many safety systems built in, it's almost impossible to hurt yourself with one of them.

My mother is scared to death of it, and won't go into the kitchen when I'm using it because her mother instilled that fear in her while she was using hers, but those were the old ones.

edit:

I should add my Grandmother made it well into her 80s and didn't die from a pressure cooker problem! :lol:

My parents swear by pressure cookers. They get us one every time they come to visit. Hubby is scared of them too :D

However, some things, such as dried pulses or beans, are just so much quicker to cook in a pressure cooker.

aeon
06-12-16, 06:22 PM
A friend loaned me their pressure cooker.

OMG, I am so ordering one of my own. This is what I have needed all my life.

Lentils and pulses and veggie stews and soups every day!

All kinds of melanges with masala curry and bouquet garni and smoked paprika and on and on...and all low carb and full of flavor.

This is the business. :yes:

And perfect for my ADHD and spontaneity ways, not to mention my ill-behaved pancreas and liver.

Cheers,
Ian

Laserbeak
06-20-16, 04:11 AM
You can actually fry in them too (although some sources recommend against this). This actually was Colonel Sander's secret -- it allowed him to make fried chicken much faster and serve it in his highway-side restaurant as fast food. That was the beginning of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC).

salleh
06-20-16, 07:54 AM
I used to use one when I was married .....does a great pot roast too, for those of us who are meat eaters......

and I used an old one, ( still had the pressure valve though, they've been around for many decades now ...the pressure valves that is ) ......

I love them just for cooking anything where I need a big pot.....they are usually made of very heavy aluminum, a cooking container metal I got used to when I was a professional cook ....when it's very thick, it hardly ever burns ...you really have to neglect it and have it on high fire for a long time before it will burn .....

...plus it heats very evenly, and cleans to a nice low sheen with cream of tartar ....( available in the spices section at the market....

...the only thing to really watch out for is putting them in the sink and running cool water on them when they're still very hot, that will make the bottom of the pot or pan bulge, and not sit flatly on the stoves burners....