View Full Version : Tying up toys?

Cecily
08-19-14, 02:03 PM
Anyone aware of the psychology behind tying toys up? Our 6-year-old daughter with ADHD has liked tying up her toys for a couple years now. We're always finding her dolls and stuffies tied up and hanging from things. :eyebrow:

Cecily
08-19-14, 02:11 PM
Wondered if it is in response to the scatter of her thoughts and the chaos of distractions. Maybe tying up her toys expresses her desire to feel more control inside herself?

stef
08-19-14, 02:14 PM
my son doesn't have add, he would hang his entire batman collection by the arms on twine strung across his room.

Lunacie
08-19-14, 02:23 PM
My granddaughter drove me crazy when she was younger tying things around doorknobs.

Guess I should have been happy it wasn't strung all over her room. :giggle:

Wrenchman
08-19-14, 02:27 PM
My daughter tied up things when she was younger. It started from around age 3-4 and continued until age or so. She is 14 now I feel certain she has some form of ADD. She also rocks back and forth.... She has done that since she was big enough to sit in a high chair. We thought something was wrong with her because her twin did not do that. We call it bouncing... and she still bounces now in the car when she gets tired. My son who is 12 also bounces. Only mentioned that becuase we thought it odd she tied stuff up when she was little. Just curious if the two actions might be related.....

zette93
08-19-14, 02:38 PM
Does she play normally with the toys before she ties them up? Have you asked her why she likes it?

Cecily
08-19-14, 04:02 PM
Does she play normally with the toys before she ties them up? Have you asked her why she likes it?

Yeah, she plays normally with them. She says she likes to pretend chasing and catching. It seems like exciting, fun play for her and not sneaky or violent. Interestingly, her favorite children's song is "I'm Gonna Catch You" by The Laurie Berkner Band.

Maybe my original question should have been, what is the psychology of liking to be chased and caught or chasing and catching? I'm sure most kids go through a stage of playing that way, but I find it unique that she's been doing this for at least a couple years.

apoeticdevice
08-21-14, 11:01 PM
Wondered if it is in response to the scatter of her thoughts and the chaos of distractions. Maybe tying up her toys expresses her desire to feel more control inside herself?

I wish I did that as a kid to let my parents know to help me love myself and help me in general.

kilted_scotsman
08-22-14, 09:54 AM
This may be a manifestation of the soothing effect of constriction/gentle pressure that's experienced by some people... hence the use of "autism blankets" or pads.

ie your child may be doing this to her toys as an outward manifestation of something that makes her feel good....

It's subtle and has all sorts of psychological drivers, more than can be described in a post, however the important thing is not to get freaked by it or link it to any concept of deviancy.

However if she is doing this as a projection of some desire to limit/distress/hurt things are different..... all hinges on the subconscious motivation for the behaviour..... and the worst thing to do is show too much interest in it..... quiet observation of her body language and attitude during play is likely to indicate what's happening.