View Full Version : Focalin XR not lasting long

chrislo42
08-19-14, 08:20 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on the forums. I am 17 years old. I am diagnosed with ADD and have tried many medications. I have tried Adderall XR and IR, Concerta, and Vyvanse. All worked but concerta. The adderall and vyvanse gave me too much anxiety and I felt horrible once it wore off. I have just been prescribed Focalin 20mg, extended release. I have only been taking it for a couple of days but it doesn't work nearly as long as it says. It had worn off significantly by hour 3, and completely worn off by hour 4. It only worked well for 2 hours. I have been researching but can't find anyone else saying that it wore off so quickly. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know why it could be wearing off so quickly? I am so frustrated with all these meds! Please reply if you have any info or are in a similar situation.

sarahsweets
08-20-14, 04:17 AM
Long acting ADHD meds rarely last as long as the drug says it's supposed to last. It sounds like you need a different drug.

maginno
11-04-14, 11:12 PM
I have similar issue on 30mg xr. Doc gave me a second 30mg dose per day and that's great but still seems like it shouldn't really be necessary. It works well when it's working though. I'm tempted to ask to try something else

Babylon5
11-09-14, 09:50 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on the forums. I am 17 years old. I am diagnosed with ADD and have tried many medications. I have tried Adderall XR and IR, Concerta, and Vyvanse. All worked but concerta. The adderall and vyvanse gave me too much anxiety and I felt horrible once it wore off. I have just been prescribed Focalin 20mg, extended release. I have only been taking it for a couple of days but it doesn't work nearly as long as it says. It had worn off significantly by hour 3, and completely worn off by hour 4. It only worked well for 2 hours. I have been researching but can't find anyone else saying that it wore off so quickly. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know why it could be wearing off so quickly? I am so frustrated with all these meds! Please reply if you have any info or are in a similar situation.
If I'm not mistaken, half of the beads in the Focalin XR capsule are immediate release while the other half are extended release. (The half-life of immediate-release Focalin is just over 3 hours and it peaks at approximately 1.5 hours.) You may be feeling the immediate release more than the continuous release because you are getting more medication at the moment.