View Full Version : adhd stuff

daveddd
08-19-14, 08:42 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25066432

so emotional liability causes more than over reactivity ?

Psychol Med. 2014 May 15:1-13. [Epub ahead of print]
Everyday emotional experience of adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: evidence for reactive and endogenous emotional lability.
Skirrow C1, Ebner-Priemer U2, Reinhard I3, Malliaris Y4, Kuntsi J1, Asherson P1.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Emotional lability (EL), characterized by negative emotional traits and emotional instability, is frequently reported in children and adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). However, EL is primarily assessed using retrospective self-report, which is subject to reporting bias and does not consider the potential influence of positive and negative everyday experiences.
METHOD:
Ambulatory assessment was carried out in 41 men with ADHD without co-morbidity, current medication or substance abuse, and 47 healthy control participants. Reports of negative and positive emotions (irritability, frustration, anger, happiness, excitement) and the occurrence of bad and good events were completed eight times daily during a working week. Group differences in emotional intensity and instability were investigated using multilevel models, and explored in relation to bad and good events and the Affective Lability Scale - Short Form (ALS-SF), an EL questionnaire.
RESULTS:
The ADHD group reported significantly more frequent bad events, heightened intensity and instability of irritability and frustration, and greater intensity of anger. The results for positive emotions were equivocal or negative. Bad events significantly contributed to the intensity and instability of negative emotions, and showed a stronger influence in the ADHD group. However, covariation for their effect did not eliminate group differences. Small-to-moderate correlations were seen between intensity and instability of negative emotions and the ALS-SF.
CONCLUSIONS:
Adults with ADHD report heightened intensity and instability of negative emotions in daily life. The results suggest two components of EL in ADHD: a reactive component responsive to bad events and an endogenous component, independent of negative everyday events.
PMID: 25066432 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+

SB_UK
08-20-14, 02:58 AM
So we're sensitize sensitized ? which to be fair is what being sensitive 'd mean in dumbo world - it's a bit like walking around with sensitive hearing with a politician with a big bass drum where his head should be, hitting it ever so hard every time the ADDer is about to fall daydream.

That's a form of torture.

daveddd
08-20-14, 07:51 PM
very exciting to see science catching up!!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25085791

Psychiatry Res. 2014 Jul 16. pii: S0165-1781(14)00596-4. doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2014.07.017. [Epub ahead of print]
Regulation of sadness via acceptance or suppression in adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Matthies S1, Philipsen A2, Lackner HK3, Sadohara C4, Svaldi J5.
Author information

Abstract
Emotion dysregulation is a recognized symptom of adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). The aim of this study is to induce sadness in adults suffering from ADHD and to investigate the impact of emotion regulation strategies on sadness intensity, and psychophysiological measures. Thirty-six adults diagnosed with ADHD were randomly assigned to either expressive suppression (SUPP) or acceptance (ACC) of emotion. Sadness was induced using a film clip. Participants estimated the intensity of sadness and the perception of being overwhelmed with emotion before (T1), immediately after (T2) and 2min after the film (T3). Physiological measures were obtained. Sadness induction was effective in both conditions. The perception of being overwhelmed with emotion increased between T1 and T2 in both conditions, but persisted until T3 only in the expressive suppression condition whereas a decrease was observed in the acceptance condition. In ADHD expressive suppression of sadness seems to be associated to a prolonged recovery from the perception of being overwhelmed with emotion. Emotion-regulation via acceptance in contrast appears to allow faster recovery from the perception of being overwhelmed with emotion. To our knowledge, this is the first study to identify suppression as a critical mediator between an induced emotion and delayed recovery from emotional reactions in adult ADHD.
Copyright © 2014. Published by Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
KEYWORDS:
Acceptance; Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD); Emotion regulation; Expressive suppression; Sadness

and a very good view on adhd from a psychology standpoint

most will find it holds true

Int J Psychoanal. 2014 Feb;95(1):43-66. doi: 10.1111/1745-8315.12081. Epub 2013 Jul 31.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): an affect-processing and thought disorder?
GŁnter M.
Author information

Abstract
In the literature on child and adolescent psychoanalysis attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is described as complex syndrome with wide-ranging psychodynamic features. Broadly speaking, the disorder is divided into three categories: 1. a disorder in early object relations leading to the development of a maniform defence organization in which object-loss anxieties and depressed affects are not worked through via symbolization but are organized in a body-near manner; 2. a triangulation disorder in which the cathexis of the paternal position is not stable; structures providing little support alternate with excessive arousal, affect regulation is restricted; 3. current emotional stress or a traumatic experience. I suggest taking a fresh look at ADHD from a psychoanalytic vantage point. With respect to the phenomenology of the disorder, the conflict-dynamic approach should be supplemented by a perspective regarding deficits in α-function as constitutive for ADHD. These deficits cause affect-processing and thought disorders compensated for (though not fully) by the symptomatology. At a secondary level, a vicious circle develops through the mutual reinforcement of defective processing of sense data and affects into potential thought content, on the one hand, and secondary, largely narcissistic defence processes on the other. These considerations have major relevance for the improved understanding of ADHD and for psychoanalytic technique.
Copyright © 2013 Institute of Psychoanalysis.
KEYWORDS:
affect processing; attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD); narcissistic defence; thought disorder; triangulation

SB_UK
08-21-14, 04:02 AM
I had to switch off 'the expendables' on TV yesterday because the big guy with the large gun kept using bullets which made people's head explode.
Now I know it's not real - but that movie really is quite disturbing.

Back to 'Shawshank Redemption' for me.

SB_UK
08-21-14, 08:29 AM
Thing is ADDers are good, nice hobbit types.

The end of a minute that's managed to completely destroy my faith in the inherent goodness of people.http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2010/jul/07/expendables-arnold-schwarzenegger-sylvester-stallone

Anyway time to go barefoot running.

And my feet are larger than normal - which is odd.

bobabuoy
08-21-14, 01:55 PM
I can completely agree with this. I wasn't on my medication this weekend, and had something happen that upset me - it threw me into a day-long depressive drinking binge. When I'm on my meds, I seem to be able to tolerate upset and emotions more easily, and don't drink at all.