View Full Version : Neglecting personal hygiene

Ing3nium
08-20-14, 09:30 AM
I'm struggling to brush my teeth and wash my face everyday, and I need some tips. I have ADHD inattentive type and I'm not on any medications at the moment.

I know very well how detrimental it can be if I neglected my personal hygiene but I can't gather up the motivation to get up and groom myself. I struggle to shave as well.

I'm usually well groomed when I'm around people since it is a motivating factor, however if I'm not meeting anyone then I tend to neglect these areas. I have perfect teeth and just few pimples due to acne, and I'm quite worried that I'll lose my nice teeth.

Does anyone else feel and do this?

Spaceout
08-21-14, 12:28 PM
I can relate well to all of what you said. For me, especially shaving is a big one, too.
Meeting other people is definitely a strong source of external motivation that keeps me doing it
-- without it, I would probably not shave for month...
I think the main reason for this struggle with personal hygiene is that ADHD can undermine self-discipline which then leads to these problems with self-care and
self-sufficiency. In my case it just seems often to be very hard to start and then sustain effort at such annoying, repetitive activities like shaving etc.
There is always so much more interesting stuff which you could do instead while you are doing this..

SirSchmidt
08-21-14, 01:24 PM
I can relate especially when mundane tasks are so uninteresting compared to other things I could be doing.

For me, it's easiest to do things in one shot. For example, when I get up in the morning I'll most likely go to the bathroom first. This is the best and easiest time to brush, wash my face, etc.

The way I see it: Once I walk out of the bathroom I'll have even less motivation to go back and do those things. I may as well take care of it while I'm there. I make it mandatory to do these things before I leave the bathroom. Pretty soon it becomes a habit and I don't have to force myself.

Ing3nium
08-21-14, 02:36 PM
I can relate especially when mundane tasks are so uninteresting compared to other things I could be doing.

For me, it's easiest to do things in one shot. For example, when I get up in the morning I'll most likely go to the bathroom first. This is the best and easiest time to brush, wash my face, etc.

The way I see it: Once I walk out of the bathroom I'll have even less motivation to go back and do those things. I may as well take care of it while I'm there. I make it mandatory to do these things before I leave the bathroom. Pretty soon it becomes a habit and I don't have to force myself.

I like this 'one shot' idea. Thanks. Do medications help?

Ing3nium
08-21-14, 02:37 PM
I can relate well to all of what you said. For me, especially shaving is a big one, too.
Meeting other people is definitely a strong source of external motivation that keeps me doing it
-- without it, I would probably not shave for month...
I think the main reason for this struggle with personal hygiene is that ADHD can undermine self-discipline which then leads to these problems with self-care and
self-sufficiency. In my case it just seems often to be very hard to start and then sustain effort at such annoying, repetitive activities like shaving etc.
There is always so much more interesting stuff which you could do instead while you are doing this..

Do medications help?

SirSchmidt
08-21-14, 03:12 PM
Medication does help (Adderall for me), but I only take it after I eat breakfast so it doesn't help me early in the morning.

Little Missy
08-21-14, 04:43 PM
Ugh...I have had my bouts of either total neglect of hygiene or obsessive care of my hygiene. I absolutely can not stand that the bathroom fan is connected to the ceiling lights and the noise from it makes me want to run so I disconnected it and had an electrician wire them seperately and it helped alot.

Pilgrim
08-21-14, 05:32 PM
I think any of us that have had ADD or have, we have all neglected our hygiene .
As well as leading to health problems it's one thing that destroys your self esteem.
I use to cop heaps of ..... For this.
Medication helps. The morning can be hard to focus

addthree
08-21-14, 11:05 PM
I set routines. I always brush, floss and shave right before I take my eavening shower. I always brush teeth right after breakfast. However I always had a love for brushing my teeth and showering. Shower 2/day in the summer. However on weekends I often forget to brush my teeth in the morning if I am not leaving the house. Just think if you don't brush the dentist will stick a needle in your mouth.

Spaceout
08-22-14, 12:26 PM
Do medications help?

Yes, it definitely helped me in this area but unfortunately I have developed a tolerance to most of the medications I tried out so far. So for me there's still a need to find other ways to deal with this; maybe the 'one shot' aproach helps to improve that somewhat...

eclectic beagle
08-22-14, 12:57 PM
Hmm, not sure about this, as I'm usually very conscientious about hygiene. Social anxiety has made it a habit, and reminds me in case I forget. Don't know if that will be helpful to you or not.

stef
08-22-14, 04:01 PM
No but i feel awful when I don't shower and I hate how I look without any makeup....

mrzyphl
08-24-14, 06:07 PM
I can relate. I'm 52 years old. As a kid I brushed every school morning but very rarely other than that.
In my 20's I brushed 10-15 times a month. When I lived with a girlfriend for 4 years I unfailingly brushed and flossed twice a day.
The last 15 or so years it seems I'm 4 days on 4 days off every evening before I go to bed. Sometimes when I'm lazy I'd brush them without toothpaste.

I still have all my teeth but they are yellow from smoking and caffeine and my gums are receding.
Even though my teeth are all straight and strong I'm too embarrassed to smile.
My dentist says I've got bone loss in my jaw and if I don't start taking better care I won't have any teeth left within a few years.
I'd really like to keep my teeth but even that warning hasn't changed my bad habits.
I'm not looking forward to eating only soup for the rest of my life.

Jenn1202
09-04-14, 01:12 AM
I struggle to get myself to do anything repetitive or boring that has to be done on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. This includes things like doing laundry, brushing my teeth, cleaning my room, going to bed and paying bills. I often don't let myself go to bed before I get some basic things done (like brushing my teeth...) and then I end up getting motivated only when I absolutely have to get the boring task done (around 4-5am), because otherwise I won't go to sleep. I often fail to get myself to clean because it's SOOOOO BORING and I tend to get distracted and forget about it :(.

One thing that seems helpful and motivating is to talk to people on the phone while I'm completing the boring task. Listening to music and watching a movie/TV show while doing the boring task can also help. Anything that makes that task less boring and more fun can help. Also, ADD meds seem to help.

Flory
09-04-14, 01:17 AM
Know these feels ....... Medication doesn't help me brush my teeth though.....unless it's 3pm and suddenly I decide I want to do it....I also have a bit of a sensory thing with toothbrushes....they make me feel sick

psychopathetic
09-04-14, 01:42 AM
I can so relate. I too have a hard time keeping up with my hygiene when I know I wont be seeing anyone for awhile.

No real tips for you on how to go about changing this...I still struggle with this myself.

I just try not to lock myself into my apartment for too long of periods. I try to make it a point to get out...even if only to hang with my parents for an evening.

Years ago when I was at my worst, I wouldn't even take care of my hygiene if I was going out. Man I hate looking back at those times. I could easily go a month without shaving...and I wouldn't groom my beard either. It'd just look horrible and unkempt. And I could go a week or longer without showering...I'd wear the same shirts and pants for days.
It's actually kinda hard to admit this right now lol. I was so gross back then :(.
And man I hated myself! I don't know why I did it to myself. I'd go to a store looking like a homeless cave man who had just went on a murdering spree :p...and I'd feel so disgusting. I knew people were looking at me and were disgusted by what they were seeing, and it was just horrible.
I did this to myself for years!

I guess it was when I crawled out of that hole I was in and started to believe in my future again that everything changed. I crawled out and started to set some goals for myself...one of them was to get myself into college.
But there's no way I was gonna go to college looking like that. Like a disgusting slob.

So I bought myself a nice button up shirt. I felt like a million freaking bucks wearing it! Man it felt amazing!
And everything just changed...I suddenly didn't feel so paranoid in the public...in fact I started to enjoy being in the public because I felt like no one was looking at me with disgust anymore!
So I rode that momentum and took out a small loan at my bank and bought an entire new wardrobe of nice shirts, pants, hats and shoes.

I started to shower daily when I got the new clothes too. And to shave (I got an amazing deal on a black friday sale around that time on a great electric shaver...haha that thing kicks ****! It use to take me 15+ minutes to shave with a razor. Now it only takes me a few minutes or less!).
It just changed everything.

By the time I did get myself into college, I was walking all over campus with my head held high feeling dam confident in the way I looked. I was dam proud lol.

No idea why I typed all of this >.<'

Guess maybe I was trying to make a point or something lol. Not so sure! xP...

Having nice clothes did amazing things for me though. It was such an amazing self esteem booster to go from dirty ugly clothing that made me feel and look like a homeless slob...into nice, clean clothes! What a transformation! I could never go back. I don't know why I did that to myself for so many years! No wonder I had such issues with social anxiety! I never even gave myself a chance!

(((Hugs)))

Sorry for going off on a tangent!

mrzyphl
09-04-14, 09:23 AM
<boring rant ahead>

Clothes. I never thought about that. I do my best not to look like a slob but I
don't know if I always succeed. I wear my pants around 10 times before
washing them and my shirts 2 times (unless I stain them). I never really
learned how to do laundry because my clothes only seem to last 8-10
washes. I'd gained 50 pounds in the last 6 years. I kept wearing Large shirts
until I could barely button them up. I had to wear my pants really tight so
they wouldn't fall down. It got so uncomfortable I had to switch to
suspenders. I wear jogging pants 80% of the time when I'm not at work. That
makes me feel like a lazy slob even more. I joined a gym 6 months ago and
hired a personal trainer. I had a simple goal of losing 5 pounds a month. I
haven't lost any weight yet but at least I haven't gained anymore.

finallyfound10
09-04-14, 10:26 PM
If I'm not going out I brush my teeth and wash my face at some point in the day 99% of the time.

Issues with hygiene are a classic sign/symptom of depression. Is it possible that is the case here since it is a very common co-morbid condition with ADHD?

loverainbow
12-30-15, 03:03 PM
Yo I feel you. I can And have not bother to shower for days. I have one whole month where I just won't wear bra. Sucks because I still want to be "pretty". I must admit that my life is exponentially easier whenever I give a damn about how I look.